44k axle spindle wear sleeve...do they exist?

I have a hub on my RD with 44k drive axles that will not seal. The spindle where the hub seal rides is semi pitted and I think is a major factor, does anyone make a wear sleeve and corresponding hub seal to renew the surface? Part numbers would be greatly appreciated if there is such a part for this. Allentown mack was no help to me, could not answer the question.

Thank you

How is the spot beneath the inner bearing for wear?  The stemco idea  is a good one however you need the proper install tools! Stemco  makes a seal called a voyager seal it is similar to the scott seal and national  seals thou! the other issue is the older  44s used to run a spacer behind the bearing may be an issue With  the gritguard not sure I would clean the surface real well and install what you have with a skim of  good quality silicone  on the sealing surface clean and dri! all bets are off if the inner  bearing is worn into the spindle!

By eye the bearing wear seems to be ok, it's just where the seal rides seems to be pitted. I cleaned it up the best I could with some Emory paper and brake cleaner then a thin coat of some permatex gear lube silicone. And it still appears to be leaking, the hub looks fine and spindle look fine crack wise I was just thinking there's got to be a wear sleeve out there somewhere that should slide over the pitted part and leave me with a fresh new surface to seal to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BucketTrucker688 said:

One of the parts stores around here are telling me to use a scottseal xl +. No special tools needed to install and will seal better than a stemco grit guard. Any input?

I agree with them how ever you seem positive it’s leaking at the seal where it meets the spindle! As stated make sure it’s not cracked! I would still use the scot over stemo  and good quality silicone on the pitted surface clean and dry also check you diff vent for being pluged

I just took it apart again and it looks like the seal is dry from the outside and the underside of the axle tube (to the inside of the spindle) is leaking directly under the brake shoes. Is there a fix to this or does the whole axle housing need to be replaced? It doesn't appear to be cracked but it's very wet all on the bottom of the tube.

• 2 weeks later...