Steel and the impactor

When crushing 100 plus year old gold dredging, you never know what you’ll find. Last year had a pin got through and destroy all 4 hammers and two smash plates. 
  Yesterday this piece. 6 inches wide. 2 inches thick by 2 1/2 feet long. It got spat out luckily and flew 15 feet past the hopper. Reason one not to load directly behind the crusher.

75AFED41-2A51-4AA0-89E4-F096F9BE9A67.jpeg

0C6D15FE-B8C9-4ABC-A22B-321BACA015D7.jpeg

A135F131-99A8-477A-9413-E3B57776131F.jpeg

15FA4409-4CEF-4090-8712-59EAA9C56B44.jpeg

3372ECDA-F151-4A1F-8453-91570C9EA0D4.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Yikes!

Would rather find some left over gold in the tailings!

Jim, I keep looking! 

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Yup. There must be a different kind of metal. What a missfortune !!!

Vlad the hammers are cast so any hard steel does them in.

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Yikes!

Would rather find some left over gold in the tailings!

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Yup. There must be a different kind of metal. What a missfortune !!!

Awesome pics as usual Tim. I can understand what that is like. I used to work in forestry and hauled for a company that had big Morbark and Beast wood grinders and I used to see the havock chunks of metal going through the grinders would cause.

Even with chips and bark coming out of a sawmill, you would be surprised to see what you find in those piles, LOL

• Like 1

Most the time the magnet won’t pick out the small heavy steel like that  we use to run 2 magnets first one set higher for the lighter stuff and one real low toward the belt for the heavier stuff  and I guy on the return belt look for steel and junk.  That the magnet missed.    Then we switched to ceramic blow bars / hammers and curtain liners seemed to help with breakage.   I hate crushers.  Also don’t waste your time with the after market Chinese hammers/ blow bars waste of money most of the time. I really hate crushers. Good luck with your new venture

• Like 1

All kinds of surprises out there. Thing looks like an oversized Z-member leaf spring chunk. The hole has a rust shadow that’s about how deep the free floating center pin would intrude 🤔

We buy cardboard bales from Chicago. Find some crazy stuff from engine blocks to TV’s compressed into the center of them. Easy way to get rid of junk and get paid for the weight I guess?  You’ll know it when an engine block drops into the hydro-pulper beaters. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

We buy cardboard bales from Chicago. Find some crazy stuff from engine blocks to TV’s compressed into the center 

Well, isn't that special.

Might need the accounting folks in your office impose a BS fee for damages or make the payment checks for the bales a little lighter.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.