RW cab light mounts

I don’t know what you call the female part the cab marker light screws thread into, to hold the lights onto the cab. They are like a round insert or button that that have a female thread in them, two per light. I had trouble getting the lights off because they were spinning. Are they supposed to spin or should I tack them to the cab?

Yes, the inserts seat in round holes. They're made as a pulling style part you put into a hole and than pull its lower part by the threads pressing it up to the roof skin and get snug. I had half of those inserts spinning when removed torpedo lights off a roof of my R-model. Some screws broke down and I tried to weld nuts to their ends to get the restowers away but had nearly 50% of luck on that. Ended grinding off the tops of the inserts so they fall down into the cab making the holes free. My further plan is to make steel plates and weld nuts to them than put them below the roof skin and glue up with body sealer. Suppose the lights could be attached well if turn the screws with care and also some grease in the threads. You would have to remove the hearliner to get access to the area if like to go that way. All the holes are accessible from under the headlight but some would need long fingers and light to be found.

Better option is seem buying new insert nuts and install in the roof. Suppose they're avalible but didn't look for a source so far. But you will need a special tool to put them in place and I also don't sure the existing holes would hold them well enough being ones disturbed with.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

My trouble was they got spinning after I broke screws in them (which were SS in common steel inserts). So drilling or other remove anyway.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012