Considering selling my tri-axle

Why would you sell it?  Are you upgrading?  If you are, you're going to get yourself into an expensive payment for a truck that goes to the dealer more times every year than your '86 did in it's lifetime. Meanwhile, someone else is going to be riding around making fat stacks with your old truck and you will be pining for your old truck, kicking yourself for selling it.  

If it has severe rust jacking in the double frame, you should take that seriously and consider fixes.  We bought a '95 RD that we had to remove the dump body and we took one side of the frame apart at a time to clean out the rust and sand blast and paint.  Only real cost to us was about $1000 in new frame bolts and a cracked crossmember. But we have the tools.

You may also be able to buy new rails from Mack, but that will likely cost you close to 20k after freight for all 4 rails.

If you're running into problems getting parts for that engine like us with our 2 valve '79, you can always repower it with a mechanical e7 motor, or pick up a parts motor. E7 will likely bolt right in, but I'd ask around here first.  If you don't have an air ride cab, you can add that assuming your hood mounts on the firewall are rollers and your radiator support arms come off the frame instead of the firewall.  We just put a junk yard Mack's cab air ride onto a 1988 we bought. You wouldn't believe how nice air ride is on a cab.  You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

The truck has an air ride cab, and the engine is completely rebuilt with around 60,000 miles on it. I’d have to check the paper work to double check that number. Parts aren’t and issue as I have an identically spec’d parts truck in my yard. The frame rails on this truck are in good shape as well. I no longer use the truck anymore, it has be garaged for quite sometime. Business has shifted and I don’t more heavy haul lowboy work now and the truck just isn’t used. 

4 hours ago, 86mackR-Model said:

The truck has an air ride cab, and the engine is completely rebuilt with around 60,000 miles on it. I’d have to check the paper work to double check that number. Parts aren’t and issue as I have an identically spec’d parts truck in my yard. The frame rails on this truck are in good shape as well. I no longer use the truck anymore, it has be garaged for quite sometime. Business has shifted and I don’t more heavy haul lowboy work now and the truck just isn’t used. 

Do have a price in mind? Somebody might be interested on this forum.   terry:MackLogo:

I’d like to see 40k and that would include the parts truck and everything I have in the shop for extra parts. That’s probably high, but it really is a great truck. I will take better pictures tomorrow of the tri-axle and the parts truck and post. I could also post paperwork from the engine rebuild. It also has a new clutch and a complete new front end under it. All the work was done at the Mack garage. I also have a 1984 superliner tractor that I may sell as well, it is no longer used either. 

What can I say, my dad wants a Superliner to haul the Firetrucks with, preferably one that’s not too expensive and doesn’t need much work. He really wants an LTL though, but that’s less achievable for the price he wants...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

• 1 month later...

I noticed the Superliner heater and ac box in the truck. They are very hard to find in good condition. Did you change it out? Everyone that needs a new one for their Superliner changes it out for the newer style R model only because that style you have are not easy to come by.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.