LF or LFT sheet metal wanted

Conelrad

I need everything; cab, fenders, hood, grille.

Or a whole truck, if need be.

Restorable condition is OK, can travel the Southwest for it.

Not building a rat rod, I have a suffering chassis.

Thanks, Dennis

Edited by Conelrad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Conelrad said:

Let's expand the needs to any "L" series metal, I'm not picky.

Thanks,

DG

Well, I did know of two LT's as of 4 years ago that were mostly complete and parked for years in Prescott, AZ. They may still be there. The place was called MDI Rock, 928-776-2999. They sell landscaping material. The guy that owned them was old and had a young wife, say 40 years younger. Try calling them and see if the LT's are still there or where they went. 

Also Don Robinson had a mine in Jerome, AZ and gave tours of all his stuff. He passed several years ago but his kids have the property now. Maybe they have a few L cabs literally laying around in all the old mining equipment and they may part with. Look up Gold King Mine and Ghost Town. There is a video on the website of Don running his 1952 International KB-12 with a 300 iron lung Cummings, Great sounding!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yarnall said:

There is a butchered LF near me. I don’t know where the fenders went.  Other parts are there.  It’s neat Philadelphia Pa. Mike.

I would be too likely to know where those fenders went.

Would like to purchase the whole thing too but at the moment it's definitely not the time for one more serious project.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I would say very tough to come by. Once in a while you'll see some pieces come up, a radiator shell, hood. I haven't seen fenders in a while. Cabs are tough, there was one (it was complete) on Ebay last year in Canada. Cabs can be rebuilt and parts fabricated, but it's slow and costly. I'm rebuilding a L cab for my B-73, it's hard and takes a lot of patience. But, keep hunting, you'll stumble on stuff. 

2 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I would say very tough to come by. Once in a while you'll see some pieces come up, a radiator shell, hood. I haven't seen fenders in a while. Cabs are tough, there was one (it was complete) on Ebay last year in Canada. Cabs can be rebuilt and parts fabricated, but it's slow and costly. I'm rebuilding a L cab for my B-73, it's hard and takes a lot of patience. But, keep hunting, you'll stumble on stuff. 

The work you’re doing on that cab is incredible! But yeah it really makes me glad the cab on my L model is in really good shape other than the holes through the floor for the pedals seem to keep getting bigger... but especially glad since I’ve only seen one other truck with 5 seater L cab mine has...

Other than that I know a few times someone will take an old L model that’s been sitting for a while and sell all the parts off of it. Be sure to keep your eye out on auction sites for them!

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

L-model firetruck fenders are different in relation to a common L. Worth to note they firetruck ones were of two different styles either (and I don't mean Left and Right:)) but neither of them woulf fit correct on LF or LJ.

4 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

L-model firetruck fenders are different in relation to a common L. Worth to note they firetruck ones were of two different styles either (and I don't mean Left and Right:)) but neither of them woulf fit correct on LF or LJ.

I never noticed the difference until you just brought it up, I see now how the firetruck fenders have a little extra bit hanging in towards the tire. I guess that would cause some rubbing while turning with the right sized tires for an LF.

But LT fenders also won't work because the frame rails are further apart so they wouldn't sit right on a more 'normal' LF frame, even if you managed to line up the holes... figured I'd mention it...

Also I'll let you know I had to get some parts out of Oregon to get my LS running again, and I'm all the way out on the East Coast... So if I were you, Conelrad, I'd find one that works and then get it shipped to you, otherwise you'll spend forever trying to find one close to you. I got really lucky by finding a shop close by with a few of the parts I needed from and engine they worked on decades ago, but I used all of them...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

On 2/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, CaptainCrutch said:

I never noticed the difference until you just brought it up, I see now how the firetruck fenders have a little extra bit hanging in towards the tire. I guess that would cause some rubbing while turning with the right sized tires for an LF.

But LT fenders also won't work because the frame rails are further apart so they wouldn't sit right on a more 'normal' LF frame, even if you managed to line up the holes... figured I'd mention it...

The LT fenders are an almost different story. The L firetruck ones (like those on your truck) aren't only beefy over the wheel arch but get longer to the rear where they match the running boards. There's a side cowl panel between the hood side and the cab's door if you look at L-model from the side. The fender cuts it at the front lower corner getting over that area. Firetruck fender gets more over the cab cowl than a commercial L-model fender does. When I was offered to buy a set of firetruck fenders (West Coast and expensive) I looked over the possibility to rebuild them into the commercial style. Found out they're longer to the back and wouldn't fit my running boards which I would need to redo shortening the front ends. Another important point I found out the hood side panes are different either since firetruck fender gets higher in the area (the line) where it touches the hood side. And if you take to account the inner fender half mounts to the frame rail and does it horizontally but gets higher where it corresponds with the hood side panel it means all the inner part of the firetruck fender is of different shape than a commercial L one. Following that the outer part of the fender being unified with the inner one gets higher either and as long as it has constant radius it gets higher over the panel between the hood side and the door ending up longer rearwards where it levels with the running board. So just looks beefy but in fact an almost different shape.

Telling more there were early L-model firetrucks which had front fenders drop shaped. They looked close to E-model fenders.Nice style but you definitely wouldn't correspond them with later running boards and too probably the engine hood sides either.

• 10 months later...