35 minutes ago, J Mack said:

I've checked Watt's and cant find anything but again I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Next time I get to the shop I'll photo what you need. Probably won't be today however.

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That set up uses a spring clip to retain the horn button to the steering wheel.  Here are a couple pictures showing what goes on.  With the clip mounted in the shaft mounted cup, the horn button screws on using a 1/4 turn motion.  The clip locks into internal slots in the horn button itself.  A close look at your original button should reveal horizontal slots within the recess portion.  Last picture showing clip in the button.

I can't seem to find the electrical contact plate to take a picture.  Memory says it is a round disc with internal pointing fingers.  The fingers have a slight bend to provide spring action to return the horn button after use.

Sorry, at the moment, I don't have spares.

100_4244 - Copy.JPG

100_4245 - Copy.JPG

100_4247 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thank you @ j hancock , That is exactly what I needed.

I was bending wire into a triangle like the top photo and it worked but wouldn’t keep the button tight and seemed like it would rattle quite a bit. I scaled your photo and bent a wire to fit and it works great!

IMG_20200304_130603659.thumb.jpg.f023d8312bda11fb32484a70e12df178.jpg

• Like 1

Been a long time since I've seen one of that style intact as the retaining tabs or wire are broken. Most are either equipped with the later style, or retrofitted to the later style as it's not difficult to do. 

I've not owned an L series myself but all of my trucks use the later style. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, 1977vega said:

If you really want to get a motor out, you could always do it like this...

2A309E9B-67E1-4518-A9CE-F7B616023F40.jpeg

I've done some "off the wall" things in my day; clutch job loaded dump truck side of the road  with snow on the ground or pull a quad out 0f DM600 outside  with tiny car jack with plywood for floor  and others! but did any really study that set up. LOL cement blocks on propane tanks  and not even straps holding the guess its a board on the ladder.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:56 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

A friend of mine builds tilt trays (roll backs in the US I think you call them)

Anyway he told me never to use silicon as it contains acid I think he said and makes paint etc rust badly

He got me onto Sikaflex as it doesn't contain this acid or whatever it is that causes the corrosion 

Seams to work fine so far 

Paul 

that stuff works for anything  I`ve even used it on floor & kitchen tile hasn't gave up yet

45 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

I've done some "off the wall" things in my day; clutch job loaded dump truck side of the road  with snow on the ground or pull a quad out 0f DM600 outside  with tiny car jack with plywood for floor  and others! but did any really study that set up. LOL cement blocks on propane tanks  and not even straps holding the guess its a board on the ladder.

no thank you  :pat:

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

Clutch job in the snow..... Back in the winter of 1976-1977 was doing that task in the median of I-55 with a state cop setting behind the truck with his lights flashing. All of -16 degrees outside and had painter's tarps wrapping the truck, a kerosene torpedo heater, (salamander) heating the underside, powered by my trusty little "Dayton" 2500W generator, (still have) and two incandescent drop, or trouble lights. Did have a transmission jack and a 4X8 sheet of 3/8" "Masonite" hardboard to roll on. As the clock spun around to about 2am, I was really happy for that job to be wrapped.

The day before it was just above freezing and sleeted/snowed almost nine inches and the temperature nosedived turning this mess into a frozen quagmire. The heater made it a muddy mess under the truck.

The good old days, eh? 

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

you had heat!!!!   😀. now that's working in style > LOL  LOL  .  wife just said "this is first time you smiled in days " . I showed her what you wrote.  as we all know , you had to live it to understand it.  your situation brought me back to:  work all day,pick up parts (in ct  remember) drive to upstate  NY , during ice storm. K100 needed steering box. NO tarp, heat etc. there was a bridge overpass 100 ft away ; as per state official << you will not move that truck . the ice covered the tools  within minutes of setting them down. no air tools. I stayed at motel  after truck was done which wasn't that far from daylight. drive back to ct  a snowplow was over in ditch . and you ask but why does your body hurt so bad all over, 

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

you had heat!!!!   😀. now that's working in style > LOL  LOL  .  wife just said "this is first time you smiled in days " . I showed her what you wrote.  as we all know , you had to live it to understand it.  your situation brought me back to:  work all day,pick up parts (in ct  remember) drive to upstate  NY , during ice storm. K100 needed steering box. NO tarp, heat etc. there was a bridge overpass 100 ft away ; as per state official << you will not move that truck . the ice covered the tools  within minutes of setting them down. no air tools. I stayed at motel  after truck was done which wasn't that far from daylight. drive back to ct  a snowplow was over in ditch . and you ask but why does your body hurt so bad all over, 

I purchased that little generator the day before catching it on sale at Grainger's and boy has it come in handy through the years. It is small enough to fit in the floorboard of my B-61 so it rode there a lot during the winter months and I have the banged up "Pyrene" carbon tet fire extinguisher on the rt. door to prove it.....

Getting that transmission out of the truck, (R-685) was a challenge as one of the clutch discs tore the center out of itself and the input shaft on the TR-107 was ate up pretty badly; to the tune of the splines were 1/2 worn away. I had two prybars between/against the flywheel and transmission housing(s) while attempting to rock the trans from side to side on the jack. When it finally let go I swore I'd done strained my milk generator and was done. Didn't have kids then and knew I wasn't gonna be able to reproduce.....

No cell phones in those days so ran back to the shop and grabbed another transmission kept as a spare in the shed. The cop exercised great patience and made certain nobody made off with my tools telling me he could remain as a "safety" watch given the proximity to the interstate I was at. While at the shop I called the owner giving the time I thought the truck would be back roadable, and it was about a 1/2 hour prior here come a pickup with a driver. It, and I were cold and I was very relieved to have this done. They left it in the shop overnight to warm being wet and frozen sand so it could be dumped the next day.

Sure is a lot of fun to talk of it now.....

• 4 months later...

2020 has been a strange year with the China Flu and I’ve been reluctant to take the Kenworth cab off a perfectly good truck to save this old Mack if I wasn’t going to be able to commit the time and money to see it through to the end.

Well for better or worse I’m fully committed now.

cab.jpg

• Like 2