Hard steering rd688sx

TrashMan08

Question

New to site need some direction. 1996 e7 350. A million mile rolloff. Stiff steering left and right, cold or hot. I mean two hand pull. King pins tolerance seem ok changed fluid, filter lubed everything twice. Just some thoughts toward first steps. Thanks for any help. Mack wants 1k for new pump.  Get site read almost daily.

16 answers to this question

First of all you need to find out whats the problem before you start buying parts.You need some gauges on the system to check the floe and pressure.You can use a 3000 psi pressure gauge and tee in to the suppy line to the steer box.With the engine running maybe 1500 turn the wheel and watch the pressure.You can check this out your self if you understand the system.To check the max pump pressure hold the brakes down and take a reading.You need to see 1500 or better with brakes applied.

Edited by theakerstwo
  • Like 1

glenn akers

52 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

First of all you need to find out whats the problem before you start buying parts.You need some gauges on the system to check the floe and pressure.You can use a 3000 psi pressure gauge and tee in to the suppy line to the steer box.With the engine running maybe 1500 turn the wheel and watch to pressure.You can check this out your self if you understand the system.To check the max pump pressure hold the brakes down and take a reading.You need to see 1500 or better with brakes applied.

Guess I missed something here, what does brakes have to do with power steering pressure?    terry:MackLogo:

• Haha 1

Don't think that I'm crazy, but I had one driving me crazy, checked the pressure and pressure was low, changed the box great pressure, same exact problem, I disconnected the steering column and all was fine. The problem was the bearing on top of the housing for the double u-joints. The truck was a bear to steer, I changed that bearing and you could steer the truck with one finger. Now it is a must for any truck that comes into the shop for a service, that bearing gets oiled as part of the service. 

3 hours ago, Swishy said:

If all else fails

Jack the front end up n get sum daylight under the wheels turn steering full lock 

grease king pin turn on oposite lock & grease again

center steering & gently lower to ground

this method gets grease to the load side of the axle K/Pin

cya

Also gets grease in the bearing on bottom of kingpin.    terry:MackLogo:

did  you start with simple process of elimination  when fluid was changed ; meaning pull hyd lines off blow air through lines , make sure opposite end is in a pail or gallon jug ;  see if inner lining has folded over and blocking line? or maybe some one crossed lines. have even seen dry  grease/ dirt packed between spindle and axle make a difference. pressure wash …   pull filter cover; remove filter:   COVER with clean rag and start unit. should see  oil flow  fountain into canister.  DON"T race engine at first  oil will be all over . does it have single or dual steeringboxes ?  how does it drive going down the road ????  tires wearing smooth ?? front end out of toe will make a difference.  remember i'm not use to these "new" trucks LOL . throwing out ideas based on past experience  

Thanks so much for your help. Tires where wearing funny too. i did look at hoses some need replacing. After closer inspection someone redid king pins and did not install correctly. The adjusting nut was not set right and axle was riding on spindle not bearing. I guess easy mistake diff from other king pins this truck has tapered pins. Axle rides on bearing only.  Bought new king pins set from mack at reinstalled new set. Old bearings where chewed up. Was easiest king pins i have ever done. love these old macks two hits pin shoot out. one day both sides. Turns like grandmas lincoln town car now. Thanks to all

• Like 1