Free V-MAC III Software

Ah, after doing some readings I've come across some DIY methods with creating your own J1708/J1587 interface and displaying the data. I know most are in the few thousands of dollars. I found this super helpful blog someone made back in 2014 that I think is incredible information. Thankfully i understand most of this as im an engineer by trade, I will give this a shot! The blogger used this to interface with his motor home, but it should not be any different for our Macks on J1587.

The VMAC III User manual has a table how to access the data from the ECU, Hopefully I can pull a few IDs and display the relevent data I am looking for.

http://j1587scanner.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-build-j1587-data-scanner-for.html

Edited by ivanuke

2 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

It seems like a lot of work to get basic “read only” information? Be curious to see if you could navigate deep enough to do something interactive.....perimeter adjustment. 

You definetly can, I made a comment on an old EGR delete thread. *ahem*

13 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Sounds like you need to start a how-to thread for the benefit of Mack posterity. 

In the blog post there is reference to a chip called the ELM325. It has a 31 page data sheet that goes into detail on how to use the chip. It even goes on to explain how to “simulate” the chip as an ECU to send data. The ELM is a serial communication chip that can talk to the J1708/J1587 bus on our ECUs. Using an arduino microcontroller and some serial write commands you can “clone” messages to be sent to the vehicle ECU via the ELM325 lets say in the event you “lost” your EGR ECU. 

to write a how to would be way too in depth, but With that information and some good ole google searches should help people be on their way to manipulating values. I’d be happy to answer any questions if people pm me directly.

35 minutes ago, Deere Mack said:

Proprietary rights are legally confusing and seem to have loop holes. I've often wondered why someone hasn't developed such for all the big boy toys.

I think the only proprietary thing is the actual diagnostic software, and how it implements with the manufacturers documentation/parts catalog like Impact or any other software bells and wistles their software has. The SAE 1708/1587 standards are not proprietary, you can actually purchase the standard from SAE and read just how every parameter has to communicate. If the diagnostics were truly proprietary down to the design on the ECU, nobody but the vehicle manufacterer would be able to make diagnostic software/hardware. I believe the DOT mandated heavy vehicle manufacterers adopt this standard in order to prevent such things from happening.

There is the "hackster" community that has been growing very rapidly in he past 10 years with the introduction of very cheap microcontrollers iike the arduino and rasperry pi boards. A lot of open source software and hardware makes it possible to make these "toys" with a little know how for very low cost. that ELM325 chip is only $10! Pretty crazy if you ask me

Edited by ivanuke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ivanuke said:

I think the only proprietary thing is the actual diagnostic software, and how it implements with the manufacturers documentation/parts catalog like Impact or any other software bells and wistles their software has. The SAE 1708/1587 standards are not proprietary, you can actually purchase the standard from SAE and read just how every parameter has to communicate. If the diagnostics were truly proprietary down to the design on the ECU, nobody but the vehicle manufacterer would be able to make diagnostic software/hardware. I believe the DOT mandated heavy vehicle manufacterers adopt this standard in order to prevent such things from happening.

There is the "hackster" community that has been growing very rapidly in he past 10 years with the introduction of very cheap microcontrollers iike the arduino and rasperry pi boards. A lot of open source software and hardware makes it possible to make these "toys" with a little know how for very low cost. that ELM325 chip is only $10! Pretty crazy if you ask me

I know but why does it have to be an underground world.  I don't think they could do anything about it if someone developed their own interface.  I looked into this before and remember reading where unless renewed the proprietary rights expire in 20 years?  I really don't know much about it, just find it interesting.

7 hours ago, MHfred said:

I would be interested in some free post hole seeds.

Years back some one at the dealer sent the porter to the lumber lard to get something and as the porter was leaving some one else told him to get him a dozen 6" post holes.So little later the ported came back and said they could only find 3" post holes.The man wanting the post holes said get them 3" and i will used two each instead of one 6".About one hour later our store manger came out in the shop wanting to know what was going on.Ever one was laughing and he said that the lumber yard called him and said that was not funny and they ask for a some one to came over and say that they was sorry for screwing with their help.I had nothing to do with this but do think it was funny.

glenn akers

7 hours ago, Deere Mack said:

I know but why does it have to be an underground world.  I don't think they could do anything about it if someone developed their own interface.  

Agreed. In our case your dealing with outdated software/hardware that even Volvo would rather not have to maintain support for. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1

Years back some one at the dealer sent the porter to the lumber lard to get something and as the porter was leaving some one else told him to get him a dozen 6" post holes.So little later the ported came back and said they could only find 3" post holes.The man wanting the post holes said get them 3" and i will used two each instead of one 6".About one hour later our store manger came out in the shop wanting to know what was going on.Ever one was laughing and he said that the lumber yard called him and said that was not funny and they ask for a some one to came over and say that they was sorry for screwing with their help.I had nothing to do with this but do think it was funny.

How about a bucket of steam!

That was an old joke played on engineers straight out of college

Has a kid ever come to the dealer looking for air brake fluid?

58 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

How about a bucket of steam!

That was an old joke played on engineers straight out of college

Has a kid ever come to the dealer looking for air brake fluid?

I sent out a newbe a few years ago for a bucket of steam. Smart A came back with a bucket with dry ice.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE