But Officer it steers fine! Really!

70mackMB

last night on the way in i saw a triaxle from nu yawk taking up the whole 12 foot lane. driver side front tire on one line, passenger rear on the other line 12 foot away. 

and he was loaded doing 65 mph, weaving in and out of lanes.

i had to call the locals to get him off the road. he claimed there was nothing wrong with the truck, even after seeing video from police cars and my dash cam.. cops did not feel the same way, and had it impunded. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Wow, yeah, good thing he lost that mudflap! I worry about every little thing on a heavy vehicle, I don't understand the mindset that results in dangerous operating conditions like this.

In April, we were traveling north on I-81 and passed a beat up looking truck and trailer with a blowout on one of the trailer axles. Made haste passing him, look in the rear view mirror, and see the INNER from that side come off, cross traffic, bounce across the median, and cause an accident on the southbound side! Guy never slowed down, called 911 just south of the WV border, he made it all the way to the MD border before they got him pulled over. Stopped at a rest stop so an officer could take a statement, by the time we passed the truck, it was being taken off the road on the big hook.

Our DOT / Police  here would likely have not  noticed this ! They tend to like to find more important stuff  like burned out licence plate lites and and missing dot tape! ! Anyway the idiot that was driving must have a screw loose in his brain not to have felt something was going on it would have had to be pulling and shaking like hell!

When I was towing I was called up to the Indiana toll road to get a tractor on the eastbound side about a mile from the Ohio line with a bad right front wheel bearing. When I got there the driver and trailer were already gone. KW T600. I inspected and seen that the right front was leaning in just a little bit so I slipped the under reach back to the axle and lifted it slightly like always and that's when the right front leaned out and all the way off the axle and rolled clear to the bottom of the ditch! That driver was lucky, me not so much until a bit later when another tow company's service truck stopped to check on me. He had a much smaller winch/cable on his truck than I had on mine so he was kind enough to winch the wheel assembly back up, out of the ditch (about 30') and help me get it up and on the frame ahead of the 5th wheel so I could secure it there. Two lessons learned with that. 1:when it comes to pulling cable bigger isn't always better. 2:when it's a front wheel bearing, put a 2" strap around it & secure it BEFORE lifting because it might just be THAT bad.

• Like 2

Years ago I got a call from a car repair garage that they took in an old 53 ford dumptruck and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the steering  so I took a look and the steering was so stiff it was worse than loosing your powersteering in a big truck. The owner  and his father  before him never greased the front end. That was one of the worse king pin jobs I had ever done. That family was something his sister bought a new Toyota car and never changed the oil she showed up at the garage and wondered why there was noises coming from the engine no oil !