excess play in steering wheel

The Armstrong steering will just feel like it has too much play in it, my 53 LS95 is the same way but it’s always been that way. Just one of that models quirks, it should be different if it’s power steering though, in which case I can’t help you because mine has manual...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

I don't know what you have of the steering gear on your LS85 but my L-model - like Mack truck (NR) has one named as Mack Archemoid gear. I had two of them when revised, used perfect low mile screw and sector but found play of the sector cross shaft (the Pitman arm was pressed onto). The shaft turns in two needle bearings and I could trace a pair of NOS ones through fleabay. Those were Torrington brand and almost identical to the original content. The final issue was new bearings supplied almost the same play of the shaft and some overall play in the assembled gear as it was with the old ones. So looked like a factory design to me. I was thinking on plasma-welding excessive metal to the shaft journals and than grind them down to the desired size but passed on that being afraid ruining the shaft.

Vnukovo.04.2013.00384_resize.JPG

Vnukovo.04.2013.00387_resize.JPG

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Look at the box there should be a lash adjustment on it. Generally a jamb nut and a slotted machine thread screw to adjust the sector shaft play. If it is there you need to get the specs on end play. May be a Sheppard box in it but not 100% sure.

• Thanks 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE