mack truck paint

Any automotive body and paint supplier can either get you factory mix or use the formula to mix if for you.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I would do as said above.

Actually different paint brands could work different, especially if you drive a vehicle for a long time. So I would first talk to the paint guys you're going to use for repaint on their preferences on particular materal and experience. Very typical thing when some shop preferes (and used to) work with just only brand and has no intend to experiments.

Nice looking Vision you have.

Vlad

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 3 weeks later...

Was in my local paint store interested in a certain color; he looked it up and was shocked it had only 1 "variant".  A single color can have 20+ "variants", which are basically batches. You can put 2 "identical" colored cars next to each other and they'll look completely different. Important to be aware of when you're trying to color match and only paint a couple repairs instead of the whole rig.

Was in my local paint store interested in a certain color; he looked it up and was shocked it had only 1 "variant".  A single color can have 20+ "variants", which are basically batches. You can put 2 "identical" colored cars next to each other and they'll look completely different. Important to be aware of when you're trying to color match and only paint a couple repairs instead of the whole rig.

If you are doing touch up it is best to start with the formula and adjust or just color match a small part. On my work truck they color matched the lid, and it looks real good. The hood was mixed to the code by a different shop and looks more blue than green and does not match the rest of the truck.

So my advice is if you go by the code have them mix a pint first to see if it is really the color you want
  • Like 1

If you are trying to match it to touch up, take the bunk vent cover to your local shop and have it scanned(or drive the truck, your option).  That will get you very close.  You can then touch a dab on the cover(or some place) to see if it matches(easy to wipe off before drying).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

14 hours ago, Freightrain said:

If you are trying to match it to touch up, take the bunk vent cover to your local shop and have it scanned(or drive the truck, your option).  That will get you very close.  You can then touch a dab on the cover(or some place) to see if it matches(easy to wipe off before drying).

If the  paint is clear coated the base color will be off slightly and if it is metallic the color can be darker or lighter just by varying the air pressure. High lays the flakes flat and low makes the literally stand on end.

Side note Larry the Nostalgia Gassers meet is in Ohio next month near Akron, is that near you?

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Side note Larry the Nostalgia Gassers meet is in Ohio next month near Akron, is that near you?

Minutes away, literally.  At a dragstrip I suppose?   I see Dragway 42 has a AA/GS gasser madness event this coming Saturday.  That is about 45 minutes west of me.  Used to race there weekly.

Larry

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Minutes away, literally.  At a dragstrip I suppose?   I see Dragway 42 has a AA/GS gasser madness event this coming Saturday.  That is about 45 minutes west of me.  Used to race there weekly.

Weekend of August 22 through 24 at  Dragway 42 missed the Nostalgia gasser event at Thompson  due to heat issues

P.T.CHESHIRE

Oh, you coming to the RocknRace?  i know it's an oldies thing, but didn't realize they brought gassers in.  I've only been to one of those events, and that was like 12 yrs ago?  Back in its early days.  The basic crowd was rat rods, not much for real race cars.  I stayed the afternoon and packed up.

Keep me in the loop if you are coming.  Be glad to help out or whatever.

The UMTR got cancelled from Thompson that weekend due to rain Friday.  It was a swamp and they didn't want another 50 cars on the property getting stuck in the mud.

I might not have mentioned here, but I hurt my block last month.  Cracked #1.  Instead of fixing, I ordered a new BBM 427 block.   Building a 496ci motor now.  Getting the old Edelbrock heads CNC'd(finally).  Should boost the HP a touch.  Not concerned, whatever it makes, it makes.  I'll be file fitting rings this Saturday.  Hope to start assembly the following weekend?  Maybe.  Ordering new camshaft.  The shop is pushing it through as fast as possible to get me back out.  Hope to have it ready by end of August.

Sorry for the thread HIjack...................back to our regularly scheduled program.............

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

Larry