New anthem design attributes or lack there of!

So Guys next time you get a chance to get up close and personal to a new anthem chassis check out the NEW AND IMPROVED ? front cab mounts and post your thoughts !Observe the logic if there was any? To its design ! Does A bolt running  for and aft for a cab that is air suspended at the rear Make sense to any of you??? Was there anything wrong with the old mount that it had to be redesigned??? Just askin! 

• Like 1

That's kinda like with my dump trucks that have heated dump boxes. You have an air ride cab with cab mounted exhaust. But then when they plumb up the diverter box for the exhaust to go to the dump box, they use a piece of flex pipe that is so short there is no bend to it at all.

I always know when that piece of flex pipe finally breaks.....because the ride quality suddenly gets way better! LOL.

There is zero thought put into anything any more. Except them getting paid, and making it live until the warranty runs out.

• Like 1

The problem with the diverter  is from the body builder ,or up fitter as some people like to call them .They installled the dump body not Western Star , and their mind set is get it done and collect the cash. The new Autocar says they will build the truck and body together at their factory .

Edited by gxbxc

6 hours ago, gxbxc said:

The problem with the diverter  is from the body builder ,or up fitter as some people like to call them .They installled the dump body not Western Star , and their mind set is get it done and collect the cash. The new Autocar says they will build the truck and body together at their factory .

I realize that. I'm just saying there is not a lot of thought put into stuff these days. And trust me, I can fill a book on Western Star screw ups that were built into my 2013 that seem to be improved a bit on the 2020.

• Like 1

The cab mount was changed to accommodate the ridiculous space the new HE MP8 engine takes up. The second turbine housing would hit the old cab mount design. The cab mount had to be changed and was implimented on all chassis. It was changed and put into production this time last year.

I would post pictures up of the differences, but once again this site has changed for the worse. I've only used 30% of total posting allowances but I guess my 5 year old Samsung takes to high tech of pictures.

I took pictures of the change over at the plant last year. It is only to accommodate the turbo arrangment of that engine. Its horrible to work on. With an inch or two of clearance. No changes needed to be made to the Volvo to fit that God awful design hanging off of the D13/MP8.

Edited by bbigrig

Ahhh! another step backward for a reason thou !   Well that"s a breath of fresh air!  I thought they were being illogical for no good reason! But there is a reason for being illogical ! Thankfully  We haven't had the displeasure of working on the ( new power assist ) option yet !  Were still working patching up the other issues that haven"t been addressed 😡! Rear Engine mounts have become an issue as of late ! Thankfully we have the odd bull gear failing still  , on the older trucks so the mounts can be addressed at that point🙄!Planed obsolescence! have said it before , Its a shame these Volvo people bought a company that had some well established people and ideas that worked ! And they never ran with any of it! Having said that the front bumper on the new Anthem s we've  been selling here have a bumper 1/4 that can be removed for better access for service and repair !😁 

Its horrible to work on. With an inch or two of clearance. No changes needed to be made to the Volvo to fit that God awful design hanging off of the D13/MP8.

Well they made it easier to get at the EGR valve at least What more to ask for! 🙄

Edited by fjh

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Ahhh! another step backward for a reason thou !   Well that"s a breath of fresh air!  I thought they were being illogical for no good reason! But there is a reason for being illogical ! Thankfully  We haven't had the displeasure of working on the ( new power assist ) option yet !  Were still working patching up the other issues that haven"t been addressed 😡! Rear Engine mounts have become an issue as of late ! Thankfully we have the odd bull gear failing still  , on the older trucks so the mounts can be addressed at that point🙄!Planed obsolescence! have said it before , Its a shame these Volvo people bought a company that had some well established people and ideas that worked ! And they never ran with any of it! Having said that the front bumper on the new Anthem s we've  been selling here have a bumper 1/4 that can be removed for better access for service and repair !😁 

Its horrible to work on. With an inch or two of clearance. No changes needed to be made to the Volvo to fit that God awful design hanging off of the D13/MP8.

Well they made it easier to get at the EGR valve at least What more to ask for! 🙄

We have had to pull down a few to repair leaks behind that turbo monstrosity. One complete turbo unit failed on its maiden voyage off the lot. The removable bumper design is from the Volvo VN. We are seeing some pitiful warranty issues. Chrome bubbling off of the front grill, bunk leaks, bunk boot doors seized shut from factory.  More warranty claims on the Anthem trucks versus the VNLs. 4% market share now up here. It's going backwards. Of the Anthem wasn't $10k cheaper then the VNL, no one would be buying them here.

Cheap cheap cheap thru out the industry it seems very sad!wonder what would happen if say autocar or someone started building a good quality unit say ten grand more would people buy?Or is price the selling point here!