Superliner Replacement

Since it's was April Fools and I know you all love Volvo, remember this large car? Volvo's attempt at a long nose owner/op machine. What an ugly bastard, LOL

Only thing that was impressive was it had a 625 h.p. motor for a while until they downgraded it to a 600.

003 (Large).JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Yes there is. I wonder why they don't try and make a conventional. May bee it was part of the agreement with Volvo that the current Autocar had to stick to cab over refuse trucks.

I think it's more that they are smart enough to stick what is profitable for them. They wouldn't have much market share amongst all the other conventionals.

And you are right James, I still see lots of old steel hood Autocars at work every day in Michigan too.

6 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

If those dumb bastards-Volvo- had kept Acar alive there would still be plenty of new Acar's roaming the Northeast. I still see a few roaming around from time to time. Same applies to Superliner.

As part of the deal to take over Mack, Volvo was forced to get rid of the Autocar brand which only carried the low entry cabover at the time. Something to do with competing with the MR at the time. They would have tied most of the market up selling those 2 brands of low cab over entry.  I think i read it was the competition bureau that made the call to give the blessing for the merger/purchase.

I could be wrong, but I thought Autocar had the ACL conventional right to the end.

I do know for sure that a couple years later when that group of investors bought the Autocar name and trademark, they also bought the rights to the White Expeditor cab which they still use.

Volvo dropped the Autocar name and ACL for the VHD truck. The White cab used on the ACL and Volvo WG was not that great. White did more harm to Autocar  than Volvo did I think. Volvo was right to call the VHD a Volvo, that is what it is. I think the old White Expeditor was branded the Volvo Expeditor. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, Bullheaded said:

I think it's more that they are smart enough to stick what is profitable for them. They wouldn't have much market share amongst all the other conventionals.

And you are right James, I still see lots of old steel hood Autocars at work every day in Michigan too.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, Bullheaded said:

If this were the case they could have put some effort into  The Mack brand! And it would have and should have been the go to Vocational truck ! They could have dumped the `Volvo trash branded units and been miles ahead. Nothing smart about these guys! They have trashed out the MR as well ! At least we there will be the A Car/ and Pete for the industries  to fall back on !

On 4/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bullheaded said:

The new Autocar also makes  yard shunt trucks too. They are a big seller for them also.

https://www.autocartruck.com/

ODFL has Autocar spotters.  One of our two (hopefully our new 3rd will also be) is an Autocar and the guys really like it.  It runs hard about 16 hours a day and the only real issue we have had is that the rear door won't stay open and the step catwalk directly behind the cab (against it really) has come loose a couple times, I provided some locktite  for the two nuts/bolts and that seems to have done the trick so far.

10 hours ago, fjh said:

If this were the case they could have put some effort into  The Mack brand! And it would have and should have been the go to Vocational truck ! They could have dumped the `Volvo trash branded units and been miles ahead. Nothing smart about these guys! They have trashed out the MR as well ! At least we there will be the A Car/ and Pete for the industries  to fall back on !

Not talking about Volvo being smart.....talking about the new owners of the Autocar brand.

A corporation in Australia and New Zealand that sells Detroit Diesel, Allison Mercedes Diesel, after market items and services. Cover on road, construction and marine applications. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE