Under her own power now

David Johnson

Glad to see the rig will be out and about under power! 

Better than collecting dust hidden away.  Yes, an OEM engine would be nice to still have under the hood but sometimes that just isn't in the cards.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

8 hours ago, David Johnson said:

I would love to learn more about this truck. I never even noticed the IH wheel until I found out that the front brake lines were for an IH Tractor. I’m beginning to think this thing was put together with all sorts of different parts in ‘45.

Parts were more generic back in the day.  The same part would sometimes fit tractors, cars and trucks.

Did you send the trucks VIN to the Mack Truck Historical Museum to get more info?

Jim

On 3/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, j hancock said:

Parts were more generic back in the day.  The same part would sometimes fit tractors, cars and trucks.

Did you send the trucks VIN to the Mack Truck Historical Museum to get more info?

I did not! I’ve never even heard of that. I know where it was stations all it’s life and it’s timeline history but that’s about it. There was a fireman that was supposed to get me a bunch of pics and papers but I never got it before he retired.

I was trying to keep it as “period correct” as possible as far as the engine swap went. A lot of the original pieces either got rebuilt and reused, cleaned or repurposed. I tried to stay away from modern conveniences like plastic wire loom, zip ties, aluminum parts and really anything that didn’t fit the time period. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, David Johnson said:

I was trying to keep it as “period correct” as possible as far as the engine swap went. A lot of the original pieces either got rebuilt and reused, cleaned or repurposed. I tried to stay away from modern conveniences like plastic wire loom, zip ties, aluminum parts and really anything that didn’t fit the time period. 

As the British would say, it looks very tidy under the bonnet.

Send your VIN off to the museum and they will send a folder back with information on your truck.  The museum runs off donations so please make a donation for this service.  It sometimes takes a little time to receive your packet because much of the staff is volunteer.  I have always found it worth the wait.

Here's the link to the museum.  https://www.macktruckshistoricalmuseum.org/

• Like 1

Jim

Those are residual check valves(I see they are 10 psi).  Need any time you mount the master cylinder below the level of the brake cylinders.  Keeps from sucking back the wheel cylinders as the fluid tries to run back to the master cylinder.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 weeks later...