R model skinny exhaust

Quickfarms

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, Quickfarms said:

I am looking for the brackets and heat shield to convert my r model to the skinny exhaust

Don't know if there were any without muffler from the factory, anything I ever seen without a muffler somebody took it off and made the own brackets and robbed a skinny heatshield off of something else.    terry:MackLogo:

My crane has a 237 straight piped with a heat shield, but you can't have it. No idea if it's factory, last time the truck was inspected was in the 80s or early 90s. Just does yard work now. 

The turbos qualify as muffling devices, or so my dad says, but all our road trucks have mufflers anyway.

A steel shop could make you a heat shield, cut out whatever pattern you want on a plasma table and roll it. Send it out to be chromed.  My older trucks all use a rubber strap at the back of the cab to hold the stack upright, don't know if that's stock or not.

Look for one from a DM. They're supposed to have a muffler box down low with a straight stack coming out, with a heat shield on it. That's how our dm we just retired is set up.

Donaldson can help out with a stainless shield and plated shield clamps.  The same shield part number works on 4, 5 or 6 inch straight pipe.  Different clamps will be needed depending on size required. 

Check out catalog page 41.

http://www.dieselcomponentsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Donaldson-Exhaust-Product-Guide.pdf

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

One of my truck's turbocharger housing has "Muffling Device" cast into it with raised letters. Don't remember which one however.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On many of the early R models with maxidynes the turbos had Muffling device cast into the exhaust housing.  that being said I dont recall ever seeing a factory spec 237 powered mack without a muffler. even the U models had a compact muffler down near the frame with a long stright pipe running up the side of the cab.

when you say brackets. there were many versions of exhaust used thry the years. you need to be more specific on what year. early R models used the cab mount/fuel tank bracket to hold the bottome of the stack and a rubber strap up near the top of the cab drip rail