It's not even safe fo eat Cheerios

kscarbel2

Cheerios, Quaker Oats, other breakfast foods contain ingredient in weed killer

The Morning Call/Detroit Free Press  /  August 16, 2018

A number of popular breakfast foods, including cereals, granola bars and instant oats, were tested and found to contain potentially dangerous amounts of cancer-linked glyphosate, the main ingredient in weed killer.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG), an environmental advocacy organization that conducted the study, said Wednesday that glyphosate was found in all but five of 29 oat-based foods that were tested.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup, the most heavily used pesticide in the United States. Every year, according to the EWG, more than 250 million pounds of glyphosate is sprayed on American crops.

The World Health Organization has determined that glyphosate is “probably carcnogenic to humans” and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set a safety level for the potentially dangerous chemical.

Just last week, Monsanto was ordered by a court to pay nearly $300 million to a man who claims his terminal cancer was caused by exposure to Roundup. Hundreds of other cases are working their way through the courts.

Monsanto strongly disputes the finding that glyphosate is a probable carcinogen and notes that over four decades, the EPA has consistently supported the safe and effective use of glyphosate.

The company notes on its website that on Dec. 18, the EPA stated the following: “The draft human health risk assessment concludes that glyphosate is not likely to be carcinogenic to humans. The agency’s assessment found no other meaningful risks to human health when the product is used according to the pesticide label. The agency’s scientific findings are consistent with the conclusions of science reviews by a number of other countries as well as the 2017 National Institute of Health Agricultural Health Survey.”

The products tested by the EWG showed levels dramatically lower than current EPA standard for glyphosate.

For example, the amount allowed in grains is 30 parts per million. Most of the products tested by the EWA showed glyphosate levels that measured in parts per billion.

Yet California, which is known for its robust cancer warnings, has determined there is a one in 100,000 risk of cancer from glyphosate when more than 1.1 milligrams is consumed per day. EWG says it has calculated a one in one million risk if more than 0.1 milligrams is consumed and a similar risk for children if even 0.01 milligrams is consumed daily.

The worst offenders were Quaker oat products, which regularly clocked in at 400 or more glyphosate parts per billion — meaning they would be dangerous for children if even 27.5 grams were consumed daily. A single packet of Quaker’s dinosaur eggs instant oatmeal contains more than three times EWG’s daily safe limit for children.

Kellogg products largely passed muster — of the two evaluated, only one of the Michigan-based cereal company’s oat foods came anywhere near dangerous to children and neither posed a threat to adults.

The full list of products tested and their results is available below:

— Potentially dangerous to children

Back to Nature Classic Granola

Quaker Simply Granola Oats, Honey, Raisin and Almonds

Nature Valley Granola Protein Oats ‘n Honey

Giant Instant Oatmeal Original Flavor

Quaker Dinosaur Eggs, Brown Sugar, Instant Oatmeal

Great Value Original Instant Oatmeal

Umpqua Oats, Maple Pecan

Market Pantry Instant Oatmeal, Strawberries & Cream …

Cheerios Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal

Lucky Charms (without marshmallows)

Barbara’s Multigrain Spoonfuls, Original, Cereal

Kellogg’s Cracklin’ Oat Bran oat cereal …

Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Oats ‘n Honey

Quaker Steel Cut Oats

Quaker Old Fashioned Oats

Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats …

Contains safe amounts of glyphosate

Back to Nature Banana Walnut Granola Clusters

KIND Vanilla, Blueberry Clusters with Flax Seeds

Kellogg’s Nutrigrain Soft Baked Breakfast Bars, Strawberry

Nature’s Path Organic Old Fashioned Organic Oats

Whole Foods Bulk Bin conventional rolled oats

Bob’s Red Mill Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats

Contained no glyphosate in any tests

Nature’s Path Organic Honey Almond granola

Simple Truth Organic Instant Oatmeal, Original

Kashi Heart to Heart Organic Honey Toasted cereal

Cascadian Farm Organic Harvest Berry, granola bar

365 Organic Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats

… This product underwent multiple tests and tested above the dangerous level in one or more and below the dangerous level in one or more.

• Like 2

Mean while we used Agent Orange and MEK with no protection  in Vietnam and still get told to suck it up, it's no big deal.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i usually dont eat cereal on account of the calories but if i do its generally shreaded wheat  i dont see it up there....i guess that was why we lost funny face as a kid.....i was told the fony sweeteners were an issue....bob

So instead of blaming the cereal companies who have zero to do with the the use of herbicides when are they going to hold the people who use the pesticides on the grain accountable?

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Besides glyphosate, the grains themselves are not good for you either.  The grains used today in commercial food production have a very different genetic makeup than the grains from a thousand years ago.  If interested to learn the damage they can do to your body, read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, cardiologist.  Very revealing about the role of today's grains in weight gain, celiac, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, crohn's, and a dozen other things frequently mis-diagnosed.  

Another interesting book although not authored by a cardiologist:  Eat Bacon, Don't Jog.

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grayhair said:

Besides glyphosate, the grains themselves are not good for you either.  The grains used today in commercial food production have a very different genetic makeup than the grains from a thousand years ago.  If interested to learn the damage they can do to your body, read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, cardiologist.  Very revealing about the role of today's grains in weight gain, celiac, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, crohn's, and a dozen other things frequently mis-diagnosed.  

Another interesting book although not authored by a cardiologist:  Eat Bacon, Don't Jog.

Exactly. Today you're told to get lots of fiber and food products promote it, but I read man historically did not consume such amounts of fiber and it's unhealthy. A low-fiber gluten-free diet is supposed to be far better for you.

• Like 2

I've also heard that don't eat gluten free if it is not an issue with your body?     With all the crap news today, who do you believe?  One day it's bad for you, the next day it's not.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

43 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Exactly. Today you're told to get lots of fiber and food products promote it, but I read man historically did not consume such amounts of fiber and it's unhealthy. A low-fiber gluten-free diet is supposed to be far better for you.

The government recommends 12 servings of grain a day because they subsidize wheat and needed a use for it. No bs it’s just the truth. After WWII the government subsidized farming. Anything from interest free loans to build grain elevators (to create jobs building them) incentives to grow crops etc etc. now we have giant mega farms that are heavily subsidized. Do some digging (it’s public information) and most people would be floored to see how much money the government throws at agriculture. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

i hadnt thought of that,,,,,the wheat and grain are probably the problem....bob

The grain indeed is the source bob. Farmers spray the crops with glyphosate to kill weeds and also use it to desiccate peas as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

So Eggs are bad , meat is bad especially bacon, Milk and dairy are bad.

My thought is this

http://dai.ly/x2rmdkb http://dai.ly/x2rmdkb

My great grampa lived into his late 80’s eating bacon and eggs every morning and a fair amount of whiskey for medicinal purposes only 😁. The first 16 seconds of this video give away some of the secrets to longevity. 

https://youtu.be/ubrvCLL9X2E

Edited by HeavyGunner
  • Like 1

The only time my grandfather wasn't smoking his pipe was when he was eating steak and potatoes or bacon and eggs. I don't know how long he would have lived but he got hit by a pickup truck at 87 when he was going to buy the paper at the corner store

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

My great grampa lived into his late 80’s eating bacon and eggs every morning and a fair amount of whiskey for medicinal purposes only 😁. The first 16 seconds of this video give away some of the secrets to longevity. 

https://youtu.be/ubrvCLL9X2E

I like his early Browning Humpback Auto 5 shotgun.  I've had mine for close to 50 years now and I have no intention of ever letting it go. Here a photo from the web of Mr. Browning and his invention, one of  many.

John_M._Browning_with_his_Auto_5_shotgun_(2).jpg

Edited by grayhair

3 hours ago, 66dc75 said:
The only time my grandfather wasn't smoking his pipe was when he was eating steak and potatoes or bacon and eggs. I don't know how long he would have lived but he got hit by a pickup truck at 87 when he was going to buy the paper at the corner store

Sorry to hear that most old folks never worried about food intake...bob

7 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

The grain indeed is the source bob. Farmers spray the crops with glyphosate to kill weeds and also use it to desiccate peas as well. 

Interesting this "report" appears right after the Round Up lawsuit is settled...lawyers pushing this story? Guess the Talcum Powder cases dried up.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:
My great grampa lived into his late 80’s eating bacon and eggs every morning and a fair amount of whiskey for medicinal purposes only [emoji16]. The first 16 seconds of this video give away some of the secrets to longevity. 

God love him and many thanks...bob

23 minutes ago, 41chevy said:
Interesting this "report" appears right after the Round Up lawsuit is settled...lawyers pushing this story? Guess the Talcum Powder cases dried up.

That’s ridiculous I’ve been using ground crest for years and all I got was fat and old wonder if I can collect money for that lol...bob

• Like 1