Post the info which should be on a tag on the door or stamped in the frame behind the passenger side spring hanger. Then someone could tell you everything about the truck as long as it has not been changed. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

5 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Post the info which should be on a tag on the door or stamped in the frame behind the passenger side spring hanger. Then someone could tell you everything about the truck as long as it has not been changed. 

If all goes well I'll be picking it up on Wednesday and will post a picture of the tag. 

That is an old J series Cummins, With the blower it could be anywhere from 180 to 210 HP. Haven't seen one of those for many years. 

They were commonly called the C-180, C-190... etc. depending on the HP rating. I saw one once with a gigantic oil cooled turbo that only had a 160 HP rating.  

17 hours ago, mrgumby said:

I drove a truck with one of those motors in it about 30 years ago.after 12 hrs of driving my ears were ringing. It was a screaming mother  loud as hell

Worked for a company that gave me a White Compact with a C-180 with a blower for a service truck, man that thing could howl. Had a 510 roadranger with a loooong stick (no linkage), on bumpy roads you had to be in a forward hole with the stick or it would jump out of gear. I remember hot and noisy was the best description of the cab. 

2 hours ago, Bigmackwithfries said:

Are they 12 or 24 volt?

I would say 12V with possibility of a 24V starter with a series-parallel switch. Those, I don't even mess with anymore they get a new 12V starter, cables, and batteries. And an alternator if they had a Generator. Did an old Kenworth farm truck 4 years ago, zero problems starting to this day. 

Look under the passenger bench seat.  If there is a big contactor still bolted in, then it is 24v start.  Does it still have (4) 6v batteries? Sometimes you can use 12v and just wire it differently.

Image result for Mack series parallel switch

The s/p system works well, when it is kept up.  It can be a NIGHTMARE also....so if you have to do anything with it, just put a 12v starter in it and change it over.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

One thing to remember on these old engines is that there were many combinations of starters and ring gears. I have seen the fine tooth ring with a small 13 tooth pinion, coarse tooth rings with the big 11 tooth pinion, actually saw one with an old inertia drive Bendix starter (57 IH). 

Do your research changing out a starter for another style. I'm sure there are others here that can add to that. 

Welp looks like I need more than a radiator. I went to start it only to find out the engine is stuck. I tried turning it by hand, it turns very little one way and comes to a dead stop. Turns back a little and same thing comes to a dead stop. So I'm on the hunt for an engine. Anyone have a cummins c160 or c180? 

i dare say that truck is probably a B42 or a B62. both commonly repowered with 160 and 180 cummins motors years ago when the gas jobs let go. hard tellin if your radiator is original to either model. they were different between a B42, B62 and the original B61 diesel radiators came in a small one or the larger radiators that completely filled the horse collar was fittin to B61 turbo trucks or trucks with 711 motors

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

On 7/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, Maddog13407 said:

i dare say that truck is probably a B42 or a B62. both commonly repowered with 160 and 180 cummins motors years ago when the gas jobs let go. hard tellin if your radiator is original to either model. they were different between a B42, B62 and the original B61 diesel radiators came in a small one or the larger radiators that completely filled the horse collar was fittin to B61 turbo trucks or trucks with 711 motors

Its definatley not the original engine. The firewall was cut for it to fit in there. 

that's a B62 radiator btw. mice love old Macks. we had a b61 we bought that wouldn't turn over, turns out the mice went up the exhaust, found and open valve and built a nest on top of the piston!. turned it one way then the other, didn't have enough clearance to outdue the nest without pulling the head. they love air cleaners to, have had to clear out a few after sittin for years and glad i did before we tried to start the engine

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg