Another new guy

12V71

Good to see you here. Members- 12V71 is a bonafide Detroit mechanic and pretty damn smart on Cat/Cummins also. Enjoy the Forum RZ.

Truck Shop

One ping only

6 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

Good to see you here. Members- 12V71 is a bonafide Detroit mechanic and pretty damn smart on Cat/Cummins also. Enjoy the Forum RZ.

Truck Shop

Thanks for the welcome TS. 

Welcome and enjoy!  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

48 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Welcome; user name of 12V71,  do you have 1 in something?

Used to work on a lot of 12v71 powered Wabco scrapers and drove a few trucks with them. I would love to have an older truck that would hold one as a toy. 

4 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

Used to work on a lot of 12v71 powered Wabco scrapers and drove a few trucks with them. I would love to have an older truck that would hold one as a toy. 

Worked on a few myself; I’d love to have 1 in a truck also. Most of my work were on tugboats. They are good engine & 1’s with hydraulic gov’s really sound sweet! I think that wabco & terex are basically the same; there a  pretty good chore.

9 hours ago, hatcity said:
  1. Welcome!!
  2. OK-first question, how often should you do overheads on a C-10?

Oh sure...😀 One of the Cats I don't have much experience with.  On the C-15's Cat recommended 30-40K miles on the first reset, 100K after that, if the hydraulic valve actuators didn't break first. It's been my experience that the overhead cam engines got tighter as the wore not looser, I think the Valves and seats wear faster than the rockers and rollers. 

2 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Worked on a few myself; I’d love to have 1 in a truck also. Most of my work were on tugboats. They are good engine & 1’s with hydraulic gov’s really sound sweet! I think that wabco & terex are basically the same; there a  pretty good chore.

Wabco and Terex are far from the same... Worked on both breeds . They both had good and bad points. 

34 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

Wabco and Terex are far from the same... Worked on both breeds . They both had good and bad points. 

My bad; the 1 I was thinking of looked & painted the same as terex. Maybe name started with a (n). Can’t remember. I just worked on terex & wasn’t many in these parts, the left bank head was kinda in bad spot.

i used to love the 12V71 in the front of the terex  TS 36. 

perfect heater for those cold winter days. 

sucked in the summer though, inside the cab got up around 130 degrees.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

26 minutes ago, 1965 said:

My bad; the 1 I was thinking of looked & painted the same as terex. Maybe name started with a (n). Can’t remember. I just worked on terex & wasn’t many in these parts, the left bank head was kinda in bad spot.

Euclid? That was the forerunner to Terex before the company was broken up and the Euclid name was sold off. General Motors got to keep the scrapers and dozers under the name Terex. 

11 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i used to love the 12V71 in the front of the terex  TS 36. 

perfect heater for those cold winter days. 

sucked in the summer though, inside the cab got up around 130 degrees.

And they baked your feet because the only place for air to escape on the left side was under the floor. I think you mean TS-32? The TS-36 was a one off prototype with a 16V71 in the front. 

16 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

Euclid? That was the forerunner to Terex before the company was broken up and the Euclid name was sold off. General Motors got to keep the scrapers and dozers under the name Terex. 

No it was a terex rebranded or something; newco or something like that, just got the names mixed up. I worked on the Euclid’s too. Used to be a saying hand there finger up there ass & pointed to the shop. Worked on some euclid bottom dumps with 12v’s; they would raise wheelies coming out of the pits.

11 minutes ago, 1965 said:

do it was a terex rebranded or something; newco or something like that, just got the names mixed up. I worked on the Euclid’s too. Used to be a saying hand there finger up there ass & pointed to the shop. Worked on some euclid bottom dumps with 12v’s; they would raise wheelies coming out of the pits.

I remember Newco now, they remanufactured a bunch of TS-14's in the 90's, they may have done some larger ones too. I think I have one of their brochures in my files at the office. 

Just now, 12V71 said:

I remember Newco now, they remanufactured a bunch of TS-14's in the 90's, they may have done some larger ones too. I think I have one of their brochures in my files at the office. 

Yes; the 1’s I worked on were like ts-14’s. Weren’t to many 24’s down here.

worked on 1 truck that had 12V-71 & can’t remember brand ( those years didn’t like trucks that much ) but he hauled chickens; he said they’d be plucked by the time he got to the stock yard. Ha

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

And they baked your feet because the only place for air to escape on the left side was under the floor. I think you mean TS-32? The TS-36 was a one off prototype with a 16V71 in the front. 

ya know what? you may be correct.  that was 30 years ago.

12V71 in front and 671 in rear. 

they were rock/coal pans from Pennsylvania.

heavy buggers too. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

ya know what? you may be correct.  that was 30 years ago.

12V71 in front and 671 in rear. 

they were rock/coal pans from Pennsylvania.

heavy buggers too. 

Those would be TS-24's, the 32's had a turbo 12V71 in the front and an 8V71 in the rear. I think they were 44 yards heaped. Got to run one for a couple hundred hours against 657 Cats, the Cat guys hated being lapped once or twice an hour. 😃

10 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

Those would be TS-24's, the 32's had a turbo 12V71 in the front and an 8V71 in the rear. I think they were 44 yards heaped. Got to run one for a couple hundred hours against 657 Cats, the Cat guys hated being lapped once or twice an hour. 😃

I thought the 24’s had turbos & I know intercoolers; had 8V-71’s in the rear. Thought some of the 8V’s were turboed too. Been long time, back in the 90’s

the other 24’s on the job had Cummins best I can remember 

Edited by 1965

9 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I thought the 24’s had turbos & I know intercoolers; had 8V-71’s in the rear. Thought some of the 8V’s were turboed too. Been long time, back in the 90’s

I was thinking about pre '76 machines. even back then some of the single engine 24's were turboed.  The later "Loadrunners" with the new style sheet metal were turboed.  I never got to spend much time with them. I think those 24's still had a 6V71T in the rear. I nearly bought one at a Ritchey bros auction in 2003 just because it was cheap, like $3500 bucks. That was the price of one tire. 

17 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

12v71 welcome to the forum

Dunno if Macks had a 12v71but a few KW's did out here 

Paul 

I have heard of a few Superliners here in the states with the 12V71 engine. Not sure if they were offered from the factory or installed later. Plenty of room to do what you want under those hoods.