2001 mack rd cam shaft problems we think

Well picked up another rd last week drove it home 250 miles no problem at all ..engine has a slight tick so carried to the shop to get looked over rocker has play in it.. as my idea of a cost for a repair such as this..don't need a lot of down time with the truck middle of the season..

What parts are involved 

Cam lifters

New cam bearing

Thanks for any help 

00404_hxe5ScVVzs8_600x450.jpg

Just be aware that you need A press to get the gear off the cam if your back yarding this ! And if its Eteck pay attention to the cam Key they can be off set depending on the horsepower! If it is a standard E7 They may be quoting you  an oil pump  in that price as these can become ruined with all the filings from the cam grindings! 

Edited by fjh

You used to be able to buy a kit fuel lines ar not nessary on  older engines we do Rollers only the two on the offending cylinder and the eup  roller if nessary you also need magnets to hold the lifters up!you need to determine if our have ceramic or steel rollers on the lifters!

Edited by fjh

21 hours ago, fjh said:

You used to be able to buy a kit fuel lines ar not nessary on  older engines we do Rollers only the two on the offending cylinder and the eup  roller if nessary you also need magnets to hold the lifters up!you need to determine if our have ceramic or steel rollers on the lifters!

So just the 2 on the offending cylinder lifters and eup rollers .I was thinking of getting all new lifters but that would save some cash ..plan to carry it to the shop Monday hopefully not a long line ahead of me..will report back on everything we find and replace..thank you all for the help

I’d replace all lifters and followers unless it was a ceramic SetUp. Oil pump. Bearings. Check updates to brake pins, etc. Last I checked PAI will sell a complete camshaft kit and Mack made you itemize. Guys at the dealership we’re giving the blessing to buy the complete kits from PAI. 

Nice hard working rig, good luck!

what’s it power to? HP?

Edited by Mack Technician

As Mack Tech mentioned I agree with him if it were mine  With the steel rollers its likley worth replacing all the rollers How ever If  You are paying some one to do this job and are expecting a warranty  your at their mercy some what and should error on the side of caution! not replacing the rollers on the steel is a judgment  call by whom ever is looking at them if they are all scratch up and scuffed and it is clear to see they need to all be changed ! If they choose to ignore the obvious because your trying to save a buck and don't care about the out come then you could pay twice its a roll of the dice , The ceramic( usually) if they break only effect  The one cyl for the most part ! 

ion

23 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

I’d replace all lifters and followers unless it was a ceramic SetUp. Oil pump. Bearings. Check updates to brake pins, etc. Last I checked PAI will sell a complete camshaft kit and Mack made you itemize. Guys at the dealership we’re giving the blessing to buy the complete kits from PAI. 

what’s it power to? HP?

I was told 460 but I'm not sure just picked it up last week..where are mack serial number on the block 

Do you have to be a member to get parts from pai

23 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

what’s it power to? HP?

I was told 460 but I'm not sure just picked it up last week..where are mack serial number on the block 

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like cam is bad ..would I be better off get a used motor or just fix what I have ..just purchased this truck ready to get it out to work but now this..2001 E7  460 quint axle dump thanks for all and any help guys 

00404_hxe5ScVVzs8_600x450.jpg

I’d fix the engine, it’s a pretty common item. Just a heads up.....

Buyer beware

It’s the age of “oil sample everything”. If your seller saw metal it may explain the well timed, 250-mile-later, cam blow out after time of sale. It’s hard to imagine him getting it that close before sale, but not unheard of.