Pressure in expansion tank

So....this is going on... both sides of expansion tank are full.  Seems to be pressurizing the tank and puking it out of the overflow.   I pulled an oil sample.  Not burning coolant.  No coolant or diesel in oil.  Coolant in tank nice and clean.  Truck runs perfect.  Is our money on a compressor?    

If your not having starting issues EGR Cooler  is a more common issue than compressor ! cups can still be an issue if your not paying attention!

Is it doing this after a hard pull or all the time?

Edited by fjh

Seems random.   It won't do it for a day or 2 and then boom, puke out a half gallon on the ground.   EGR cooler should show elevated potassium and sodium in the oil sample.  This truck being a 16 has steel injector cups right?   I guess it is possible but I didn't think it was likely.  

9 hours ago, fjh said:

If your not having starting issues EGR Cooler  is a more common issue than compressor ! cups can still be an issue if your not paying attention!

Is it doing this after a hard pull or all the time?

It is CERTAINLY worse when workin er hard and getting it hot.   

I'm not disputing, just want to diagnose as best I can with the info I have.  Dealership is quick to change 15 grand worth of parts when its on my dime.   So cups you figure?    Truck cranks 2 or 3 times and fires right up all the time.  And wouldn't coolant look scuzzy if cups were bad?   Or see it in the oil sample or SOMETHING!?   There are no signs of anything wrong internally in the motor other then the pressure and a reputation of cups and injector issues...the truck runs phenomenal.  I'd be lying if i said it didn't make nervous for a shop to be monkeying around in top end in fear of getting it back with a 2mpg loss in fuel mileage and getting the shoulder shrug from the dealer afterwards.  

I had a 12 model; no hard start, it just missed around 12 to 1,400 rpm range. I thought for awhile it was the road, didn’t miss bad & pulled good. It got where it would really pull good & then it didn’t. I knew then something wrong. 

43 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I had a 12 model; no hard start, it just missed around 12 to 1,400 rpm range. I thought for awhile it was the road, didn’t miss bad & pulled good. It got where it would really pull good & then it didn’t. I knew then something wrong. 

And yours turned out to be cups?   It was pressurizing the coolant tank like that?

23 minutes ago, wiserfrombud said:

And yours turned out to be cups?   It was pressurizing the coolant tank like that?

I’m sorry no it didn’t; I meant to say when I noticed injector problem. Most folks I was around didn’t notice till hard start. I’m thinking you have another problem cause I know from post you run at low rpm & I think you would have noticed that.

• Like 1

The cup Failure  thing is  usually  ( usually )  accompanied by HARD STARTING BUT not always . your symptom and how it is manifesting is why i am suggesting cups the under hard pull it gets worse! head gasket failures compressor failures I Am  sure can happen aren't common,  cup failure is better than it was .but still prevalent NOT FIXED just patched! 

egr cooler is still on the table as a suspect! pull the front hose and look  but usually you would be throwing efficiency codes or egr related codes of some sort!

Edited by fjh

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.  Brought the truck back to Mack for round two of diagnosis.  Confirmed combustion in coolant (even though it looked fine visually)  They tore into the top end.  Ended up getting injectors, cups, seals, new buttons....blah blah blah.....along with a lovely bill.   6500 CAD.  Those are pics of the parts.  The #5 injector was actually BROKEN.  Apparently it was "dancing" around in the cup and letting combustion pass.   Just heading out.  I sure hope with this kind of a repair, this issue is resolved.  

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wiserfrombud said:

This morning the overflow side of the expansion tank is empty as it should be and I cracked the cap and there is no pressure......dare I say my problem has been resolved?   I think it might be.  

FOR NOW? You can repair it anytime you like / but it will never be fixed , with out Volvo admitting that they have a problem with these heads and actually Doing a TOTAL redesign of the head this will be an ongoing issue . they seem to like beating YOUR head against the wall ! AND  after all,  after Warranty ! Comes YOU PAY and that's what Makes EM happy! AND  why build something  dependable , you can't make any money that way! 👿

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, fjh said:

Agree with your statement there everything has its issues! How ever we will see How  many times You do the cup thing ! at 6000 a popif they nuckled down and actually redesign the heads  on these the rest of the engines ARE  quite strong !

Edited by fjh

We had a beauty a few months ago.

Had a Volvo with a D13 drop a valve seat, ordered a "factory" rebuilt head from Volvo slap it back together days later the truck comes back pushing coolant.....replaced cups on reman head...truck hasn't been back...

We now joke that cups need to be done like spark plugs. Cups should be made a routine maintenance item.

One mixer we have in the shop from a large customer that orders Granites annually has an MP7 that has had 2 sets of cups and injectors, usual dpf and SCR issues, has had the double idler and flywheel housing done a few years ago and now needs a reseal on the flywheel plate from the idler job years ago. They have several engines that have had the same batch of issues. Truck isn't even 7 years old. That engine hasn't had the bottom end touched yet but has cost over 30k in engine maintenance. These are 7 month a year trucks up here in useage. Imagine the cost over a fleet of them versus older mixers in the fleet. They love their DMs and RBs for a reason.

Edited by bbigrig

5 hours ago, bbigrig said:

We had a beauty a few months ago.

Had a Volvo with a D13 drop a valve seat, ordered a "factory" rebuilt head from Volvo slap it back together days later the truck comes back pushing coolant.....replaced cups on reman head...truck hasn't been back...

We now joke that cups need to be done like spark plugs. Cups should be made a routine maintenance item.

One mixer we have in the shop from a large customer that orders Granites annually has an MP7 that has had 2 sets of cups and injectors, usual dpf and SCR issues, has had the double idler and flywheel housing done a few years ago and now needs a reseal on the flywheel plate from the idler job years ago. They have several engines that have had the same batch of issues. Truck isn't even 7 years old. That engine hasn't had the bottom end touched yet but has cost over 30k in engine maintenance. These are 7 month a year trucks up here in useage. Imagine the cost over a fleet of them versus older mixers in the fleet. They love their DMs and RBs for a reason.

Back in 2009/2010, I had finally lost all patience in working on the MP engine family and went job hunting. Got at interview at a large local Toyota dealership. They asked me why I wanted to work at Toyota. I said , " Toyota makes a great product that is very reliable and any issues are quickly corrected and it would be great to work for a corporation that truly strives to put the best product out there that they can".  Then the interview guy asked " Why do you want to quit where your at?". I said  " Just write down the opposite of everything I said about Toyota ." He gave me a funny look. 

• Haha 1