trunnion replacement

• 2 weeks later...

I've never understood why people let things get that bad. Much more expensive to repair when this far gone.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

6 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Convert it to neoprene. 

Yup Agree with this  statement your likley going to have to replace all of it, you may be wise to go neoprene!

the grease is a good set up (if looked after) Meaning you jack  the truck up  take the weight off the saddles and grease it! greasing with out jacking it up , for the most part your just keeping the dirt out.

• 1 month later...

back in the eighties are shop replaced the trunions etc, on almost 20 trucks in our fleet.And I can tell you I am tired just thinking about all the work,think I had better take a nap so I can finish wrighting this

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gxbxc said:

back in the eighties are shop replaced the trunions etc, on almost 20 trucks in our fleet.And I can tell you I am tired just thinking about all the work,think I had better take a nap so I can finish wrighting this

makes you glad you were a younger man when you tackled that!!  :MackLogo:

Buy a 2 piece saddle, push a neoprene center onto existing trunnion, center it, weld the standard (otherwise bolted on) retainer ring on end of trunnion stub and torque saddle down. Suspension was designed with this secondary repair in mind. It is not a cobble job. 

The retaining ring and two piece saddle are both the OEM components you would use on a standard rubber center. FJH is a dealer and they apparently do it, we did it as well at our dealership.  

We also fabricated an indestructible trunnion brace. It flanges the outside of the Frame, uses the same trunnion anchor  bolts and welds on to trunnion face. Once installed you can’t crack a trunnion, maybe rust through eventually. You would break the frame before trunnion. We designed it for Michigan trains with a local fabrication shop. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1