Can't find this air leak!

rdauphinais

So I bought a 89 midliner a couple weeks ago with a couple bad air brake fittings. Even though it had leak, it still built over 100psi. So I get new fittings, and replace the old ones with new ones, get it all together and go to test it. I can only build 10psi at half throttle, and as soon as I let off the gas it dropps to zero. I can't find any leaks or hear any. Nothing changed besides 4 new fittings. Any help is appreciated

Those Renault compressors used on the engines can be troublesome in the valves. If you have an air dryer remove the inlet line from the compressor to it or the "wet" tank. You first need to ensure the air compressor is building airflow. Citing you are losing air very fast after limited build up of pressure, it may have exhaust valve(s) stuck open. In your wet tank if you have an open fitting that is plugged remove this and install a ball valve and air fitting. If not, remove the overpressure safety "pop off" valve and temporarily install an air fitting. Apply shop air to this and soap down the entire air system. With that massive of a leak you should hear air escaping with shop air connected.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, other dog said:

Or it could be just a bad air governor?

It could be and if a Bendix or Midland compressor, the first place to look. The Renault compressors were problematic, (IMO) and my reply is based upon past experience with them times about four trucks..... He has not responded with adequate information in which to offer effective t/s with yet, so staying generic. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Truck is a few miles away from me in a field so getting shop air there is almost out of the question. Just find it hard to believe that everything worked fine until I replaced 4 fittings and now it doesn't build hardly any pressure. I'll see what I can find later today, but I do t have hardly and experience with air brakes.

Post up some photos of what you are working with. If the truck is a CS-300 series the air compressor is buried behind the turbocharger mounted low on the right side and the compressor is next to it. It is very difficult to see with the exhaust in place.

1 hour ago, rdauphinais said:

I can easily see the air compressor right on the pass side of the motor in front of the turbo and behind the intake. I'll pull the exhaust line off and see if there is pressure coming out, I have a feeling there isn't.

You don't have the engine I was thinking you did.

You have a different arrangement than three 89's and one 1992 CS-300P trucks I had if you can see the turbocharger, or air compressor. I had underbody exhaust however as they were rollback car carriers. The engine should be an E-3 @ 210hp if original to the chassis.

• 3 years later...

I'm have air issue too... My pressure is not building up at all.... Replaced the compressor.... And it it pushing air hard....

I have no idea what to do...

Someone said I should check the unloader valve ... Can you tell me where can I find it ....

I have a 94 ms200

I was wondering if youre Midliner has a steel pipe coming from the air compressor output/disscharge port.. Its been a while since I worked on one of those neat little cabovers.. if you have a metal pipe it may be clogged with carbon..  pics would be cool....  jojo

21 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

It’s in the head of the compressor. What kind of compressor do you have? What do you mean it’s pushing air hard? When’s the last time you changed the air dryer?

That's what I'm trying to do now .. to change the dryer and purge valve....I have no idea how this looks.... Or if other brands can be used because I'm not seeing it online

20 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Also when replacing a compressor it is good practice to replace the steel braided discharge line, air dryer cartridge, and governor. 

I'm hearing this truck does not use a governor....I already changed the discharge house

Like Glenn said,  Hook shop air to it, at the discharge hose off the compressor and try to find the leak, no need to run the engine and make noise.  this way you can listen good to find the leak/s..  jojo

I just went to my shop library..  My 2 midliner books do not have the info for youre issue. however, if you can find Mack book # ML526S, that may be the book you need.. good luck, jojo