2007 AMI 370

OldRedMack

Question

I had an s467 built for it, then read that posting a couple days ago and swapped the manifold.  And it helped a good bit, but you can still tell when it opens up.  I thought I read somewhere that the torque curve was programmable on that engine, but when I call the local Mack dealer here in Atlanta they sound like idiots and acted like they have never even heard of the updates for that engine.  So I have no idea if it has had the 12b update or not.

2 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

I had an s467 built for it, then read that posting a couple days ago and swapped the manifold.  And it helped a good bit, but you can still tell when it opens up.  I thought I read somewhere that the torque curve was programmable on that engine, but when I call the local Mack dealer here in Atlanta they sound like idiots and acted like they have never even heard of the updates for that engine.  So I have no idea if it has had the 12b update or not.

Mackpro can tell you your level if you list your vin on this posting. He is plugged in to central.

Have you upgraded the injectors yet?

Edited by Mack Technician

05/06 when i was buying m CV713 i was told to stay away from the 370. i ended up going with a 375. my truck had a 6spd Allison auto. in the dirt/mud and around town/city driver my 375/allison would pull better then a 2001 CL713 460/8LL. only time the CL would out run me was getting up to highway speeds or over passing at high speeds. the CL would just pick up speed faster. the CL had 3.92 gearing and my CV had 5.02 gearing if i recall on both trucks. 

Edited by 2000CL713

new resized.jpg

23 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

1M2AL02C77M003933.  No I have not done injectors yet.  I know you recommend k&s, I might give them a call this week.  

Your truck does not have the newest software in it for the poor throttle response ( Step 12B)  I have attached a chart showing the different AI engine HP's and showing which turbos and injector part number differences. The 370 uses a 427 turbo but 400 injectors. The 375A ( for Allisons) uses a 400 injectors and turbo . 

scan0622.pdf

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Ok, y'all are awesome.  I've learned more from this place than I have the last 3years of talking to every mechanic I can find to try and figure this truck out.  If I decide to do injectors also,  should I put 427 injectors in with the 370 program?  Or request the HP upgrade to the 427?

• Like 1

I take that back. your AMI-370 has 1480 torque. The AI-400 has 1360. And the 427 has 1460 ft pounds of torque. So really , going to a 427 you will gain HP but loose some  torque. I think Id first get the Step 12B done and also any other software update for the EECU and VECU and try that. Get a good boost pressure guage and see that your in the 28-36 psi spec. 

6 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

Ok, y'all are awesome.  I've learned more from this place than I have the last 3years of talking to every mechanic I can find to try and figure this truck out.  If I decide to do injectors also,  should I put 427 injectors in with the 370 program?  Or request the HP upgrade to the 427?

No politics here. No money changing hands. Straight talk, I love it.

So. after a run on the dyno, which confirmed the weak bottom end and full power on top end, and 24hrs of downtime sitting at mack because of a corrupt file on the download.  I ended up with a program they called "the smoke file" .  They said it was made for the bottom end pull, and the truck has more power.  But now I feel a lag in the pedal and don't know if I should get a new throttle positioning sensor or just go ahead and get the injectors.  Mack tech, did the 5" exhaust come in yet?  Did they give you part numbers?

Dont waste your money on the throttle pedal.  Hopefully you have the Step 12B in the vechicle module ( VECU)  with the throttle pedal calibrated. The VECU is all about the throttle pedal not the engine module (EECU). So once the VECU is at Step 12B and throttle pedal calibrated your as good as it gets on that end.  The rest is then in the engine module (EECU). Here in the EECU  is where the different HP levels and special "Smoke files" or "Australian "  files come into play. The VECU controls throttle, tire size, gear ratio, trans type, cruise control and road speed and the VIN is stored. Always keep your VECU  with the truck. You can reprogram the EECU with different files from different trucks ( as long as ETECH to ETECH , AI to AI, ect)

I know the pedal was calibrated, but they didn't tell me if they went to the 12b or not.  I have to go back because my engine oil temp sensor got turned off and I'll make sure it is moved to the 12b then.  Looking back I forgot to mention that it has the mack t310 ten speed, not sure if that makes a difference.

After a full day of working the truck, it is way better than before.  The throttle has a little lag to it, but the throttle is a lot smoother than before and when the lag is out of the pedal it has full power at all rpm range.  I just got back from running after a load of sand and the hills I would have to drop 2-3 gears for I now only have to drop 1 gear.  And the back roads that I would have to run in 7th gear to keep the speed low and still have power for the hills I can now run in 8th turning low rpm.  Overall I am very happy, but I feel like she has more potential with injectors and a better flowing exhaust.  So I guess, to be continued.

• Like 2

Thanks for the follow up!! That is a good return for a hands-off software flash. 

The other day I saw a straight log truck + pup pull up to our scale. 2004 AI. Couldn't help myself. Asked him how the truck has been? Guy said he had over a million (second engine) on the truck pulling 98K and has never got better than 3-4 MPG. Never touch the engine, even to upgrade injectors.:( You wonder how many are out there?

Edited by Mack Technician

Well I have had the truck working for about a week after the new program and updates to the pedal.  And the truck still seems off to me, so I decide to pressure check the intake myself today.  Keep in mind that Macks own dyno procedures say that they are supposed to pressure check the fuel and Intake, which they apparently did not! Because today when I checked it, the number 4 cylinder on the intake manifold gasket is leaking as fast as you can put air in.  So I'm getting it fixed tomorrow and can't wait to see what the truck does with full boost.  I wish I would have done that first like yall said, and I'm thoroughly disappointed that mack did not.

Sounds like my boss. Just run them 2004 cv with ai 427 and a 2005 cv ai 400 10 speed 460000n0n the 04 267000 on the 05 never in unless something  breaks 04 just  had 2nd wiring harness and computer  because  of the antifreeze  seeping into  the wire s it's on its 3rd clutch  my 05 still has the original  clutch I know what the low gear s are for