unit pump

2000CL713

If you do pull them cross swap #5 to a hole that is easiest to access. See if the code moves to the different hole. If next week you pop a new cylinder position you've caught your trouble maker red handed. I'd run six months and if no codes popped anywhere x-install the cal codes from 5 to wherever and vise versa.

Record codes during swap if you can still see them.

Edited by Mack Technician

if 2000CL713 had a code reader and could tell us the FMI it would help. If FMI is 8, I'd keep driving. FMI 8 is abnormal frequency response. This usually happens at cold start up and goes away as engine warms. Once or twice a week = ok. Every day then change EUP. If FMI is other than 8 then EUP or harness issues 

• Like 1

i dont have a code reader for the truck. in the almost 10 years iv owned it i can probably count all the times the malfunction light has come on, on one hand and still have fingers left lol its VERY rare. it only showed this code that one day for a bit and never again. 

if the EUP is mechanically failing or showing wear signs like the pictures posted will the light still come on? thats the reason i wanted to check them all so i can visually inspect them. my worry is one letting go and fucking something else up turning a $300 fix into a $3000 fix. 

new resized.jpg

If Your going to up root them pumps Buy NEW bOLTS, ( usually ) the code has nothing to do with a worn or mechanical failure ie: flat or worn roller broken spring! ! also try and get it as clean as you can behind the pumps before you pull em!

1 hour ago, fjh said:

If Your going to up root them pumps Buy NEW bOLTS, ( usually ) the code has nothing to do with a worn or mechanical failure ie: flat or worn roller broken spring! ! also try and get it as clean as you can behind the pumps before you pull em!

Perfect advise. Pull stainless shields off and wash everything. Also a great time to run a new fuel return line. 

Historically we first have a miss if it is base metal dying in an EUP hole. Code is generally a pulse magnet, but can accompany a miss.  Has a lot to do with the OEM software. I've replaced a dozen EUPs on the Liehberrr for mechanical or magnet fails, but have never, to date, got a code, only a run issue. Mack was more sensitive by far.

It's never a bad idea to check your EUPs when your over 10K hours. The pic I have attached was from a 15K engine. 2 of 6 cylinders had broken EUP springs, the one which broke a second time took out the cam because it unloaded the roller from the cam. One crack keeps the load, but when #2 comes it's over. Pulled a lot of broken springs out of Mack engines.

You likely will not find your code issue in the hole of the EUP or inspecting and you could introduce dirt if your not careful. I would only inspect them in the case of engine age, off season downtime, free labor and because Pre EGR engines are real nice to work on.   

Edited by Mack Technician

i think i am going to be needing to change a few more eup's soon. i recently had a miss and other issues that was 3 square eup rollers a toasted cam shaft and 2 bad eup's now #3 is coding out at least once per day and #6 every few days. truck is still running good pulls 28-30psi of boost under max load and is running strong. but only about 30k miles after a cam makes me a little nervous...lol. hoping to maybe get around to changing at least 3 and 6 here in the next few weeks if i don't decide to just do the 4 that were not just replaced. as long as its not another toasted cam shaft i am happy...lol

22 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Historically we first have a miss if it is base metal dying in an EUP hole. Code is generally a pulse magnet, but can accompany a miss.  Has a lot to do with the OEM software. I've replaced a dozen EUPs on the Liehberrr for mechanical or magnet fails, but have never, to date, got a code, only a run issue. Mack was more sensitive by far.

It's never a bad idea to check your EUPs when your over 10K hours. The pic I have attached was from a 15K engine. 2 of 6 cylinders had broken EUP springs, the one which broke a second time took out the cam because it unloaded the roller from the cam. One crack keeps the load, but when #2 comes it's over. Pulled a lot of broken springs out of Mack engines.

You likely will not find your code issue in the hole of the EUP or inspecting and you could introduce dirt if your not careful. I would only inspect them in the case of engine age, off season downtime, free labor and because Pre EGR engines are real nice to work on.   

Yup its to bad they don't build em like the CL any more they probably Fired the the engineers who designed it, for making it TOO EASY to work on! THE ERA of the STAND UP OIL CHANGE went away when the CL -CH and the E7/ first ETeck were done! Real sad to see!If I was ever to be looking for a truck to buy it would be a CL OR ch with an ETECK or E7 18 sp fuller  in it of this era Fricking awesome!!

The ultimate!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

2007 CHN613. AC380/410.  Is there some trick to getting the upper O-rings to seal in the block to prevent fuel from weeping down the outside of the block? I pulled all six of mine in sequence and replaced the O-rings. When I did that, I cleaned the grooves (upper and lower) and oiled the groove and installed the O-rings making sure they weren’t twisted. I applied a thin coat of oil to the top of the bore and the O-rings and reinstalled.  I used a barring tool  to rotate the engine, and using new bolts, I ran them down evenly on both sides of the unit pump. Still have the same fuel leakage issue that I had before new O-rings. Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, BidRedUgly said:

2007 CHN613. AC380/410.  Is there some trick to getting the upper O-rings to seal in the block to prevent fuel from weeping down the outside of the block? I pulled all six of mine in sequence and replaced the O-rings. When I did that, I cleaned the grooves (upper and lower) and oiled the groove and installed the O-rings making sure they weren’t twisted. I applied a thin coat of oil to the top of the bore and the O-rings and reinstalled.  I used a barring tool  to rotate the engine, and using new bolts, I ran them down evenly on both sides of the unit pump. Still have the same fuel leakage issue that I had before new O-rings. Thoughts?

Are all of them leaking??? Or just the original leakers still leaking?

They all were and still after the new O-rings, which is why I question my methods. I made sure the bores were clean before (no residue on the bore walls of any kind) I re-installed the EUPs. It took a few days, but they all started showing signs of fuel on the block.

Ok. So I got the seal kits installed on all the EUPs. As I said earlier, they were all supposedly new remans when I got the truck. I've only put on about 50,000 mi. Since April. Most of the seals removed were pretty stiff, not pliable like new ones are. Without fail, every backer plate on the rear of each EUP was wet on the inside. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means the round o-ring under the 'plug' was leaking on each one which would weep fuel around each EUP from the rear making it look like the upper bore o-ring was leaking. I won't have any results until after Christmas when I'm back out, but this is what I've found, so far. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry I took so long to reply with results. Okay. One more R&R of the EUPs later and the fuel leakage has stopped. The deck was still getting wet around the EUPs but no fuel smell anymore. Culprit? Exhaust manifold studs. I discovered a broken one causing an exhaust leak, so while repairing I pulled the others and replaced using hi-temp RTV to seal the lowers due to the partial thru-bore of the stud bore (per service bulletin). The engine is now dry as a popcorn fart! Thanks for all the help

• Like 2

• 1 year later...