84. Top turbine 350 2v. Injection pump change.

Bliue dm

6 hours ago, fjh said:

YOU ARE SPENDING TO Much time second guessing your self! In my humble opinion! Move on to other checks! Check the drain plug for peices check the valve adjustment Swap the injectors move on its likely not the timing!

You got it running !!! As I recall it you have no history  on this engine ! Your doing OK for a blind guy!

Go with What you know you have smoke  you know you got fuel  up to the injectors swap em!

You don't know if you have compression check the valve set !

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed and some might even say Im a few kangaroos short in the top paddock but you need to take a step back and study the facts of what you know 

We know the injector pump is reasonably well timed if not timed spot on and is  more than likely correct after checking it so many times 

We know the injector pump isnt 180 degrees out of time as if this was the case diesel would be coming out the inlet 

We also now know that injectors 1 and 6 are getting fuel 

We know the injectors are working as this is all the smoke coming out the exhaust in the form of unburnt diesel

We dont know if these two cylinders have any compression ?? 

We dont know if the valves are sealing ??

We dont know if there is metal in the sump ??

theres some really good advice been given here in the post above and thats were I would start 

Paul 

I understand it very well. Otc graduate. Grandfather owned everything from b models to dm. Just that from the very beginning.  The information was not clear. People I was talking to prior to here. So I was trying to get facts straight about pump alignment which I really didn't get answers to until I reached out here. Sorry for being a pain but you must understand truck was brought to me not running and I want to cross my T's and dotting my I's 10 times before I move on to the next step. At the end still need to get paid for what I've done already. I believe everything is in time. I have court closing at 18 degrees. And truck is firing on all the other cylinders but one in six so I'm going to move on to the next step.

8 hours ago, Bliue dm said:

I understand it very well. Otc graduate. Grandfather owned everything from b models to dm. Just that from the very beginning.  The information was not clear. People I was talking to prior to here. So I was trying to get facts straight about pump alignment which I really didn't get answers to until I reached out here. Sorry for being a pain but you must understand truck was brought to me not running and I want to cross my T's and dotting my I's 10 times before I move on to the next step. At the end still need to get paid for what I've done already. I believe everything is in time. I have court closing at 18 degrees. And truck is firing on all the other cylinders but one in six so I'm going to move on to the next step.

Which should BE?

Check the drain plug its quick and easy! Next hardest is the valve set Hardest CAN BE injector swap because they can be seazed!

i  have no Doubt in your  ability  Your working Blind with no history you dun good to get this far  How ever Please try and advance thru the checks  as stated so we can get to a resolve here I don't feel like wasting my time trying to help someone who doesnt want to listen and try shit we have offered up here There a some quite EXPERIENCED people on this site and we can get a little testy You asked for help we offer up the help use it to its potential we may be right we  maybe wrong  how ever its worth a try!

getter done!

Edited by fjh

I'm going to go down the list and try everything that has mentioned.  Going to swap nozzles tomorrow and do compression test. Where should my readings be on the compression test? I'm aware that a lack of compression could be a couple things. Going to back of on exhaust rockers too case dynatard sticking.

I brought my bigcam formula 400 with two blown pistons. For the price I just did the whole motor. Trying to convince this guy to do the same. Pretty sure this motor was stuck wide open. Don't know if it ran away or what but the old pump had been opened.  It makes good oil pressure tho

50 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

Macks rarely run away.  Only time I have seen them do it is after a Turbo failed and let it run on oil. Dont think I ever heard of them running away on the pump.  Last time I did injectors they were fairly cheap. think I was able to get Reman's for $60 ea

If it was a runaway it will show up on the valve set as a real loose set as will broken lifter 1/32 of an inch or so you will likely have bent push rods on those cylinders! Upon setting the valves when slack give them a twirl if there bent  it will show ! like I said proceed in order of ease! Methodically  look at stuff , assume nothing ,Explore .You still could have burnt pistons broken rings you just don't know  you have no history!

Just an observation from previous experience! 

Next time you have it running pull the oil fill cap off  while running and check for puffing at the fill tube  this is an indication of failed piston or rings! however if it sounds like its huffin at the exhaust not a good sign!

• Like 1

Be aware that if it hasnt been running for a while maybe the rings are stuck in the pistons and it may not be the end of the world if you can get the cylinders to fire 
I would pull the injectors and join the to a injector line out of the motor and see if they are working when you wind the motor over 

Also a hydraulic porta power and a pressure gauge can be used to see how the injectors fire and at what pressure they operate at if you are somewhere with no test benches near by 

• Like 1