84. Top turbine 350 2v. Injection pump change.

Bliue dm

Yes it does. I just want to make sure though... As long as this pump slid right on I don't have to worry about the timing outside of the adjustments needed to be made at the timing gear.. meaning I couldn't put the pump on backwards. I just want to make sure that at this point the only thing I need to do is degree to pump.

Stop lever run position throttle idle

with the afor mentioned method check where the timing is currently set if it's at 18 advance to 22 if it's below 18 set it to 18 4 degrees should clean it up!

Edited by fjh

The pump will only go on one way...however if the engine was turned over after the pump was removed it may be 180 degrees out of timing?    some one correct me if im wrong but I suspect he pulled the pump, the engine turned over and he may have put it back on when the engine was out of time to the pump. For example the #1 cyl may be at TDC but its on the intake stoke instead of power stroke.  I would think the engine spins over 2 times for ever 1 turn of the pump.  To me it sounds like you need to pull the pump rotate the motor 1 turn, re-install it and check it again. Hope that makes scene...Or Find a guy that can explain this better than me LOL

• Like 1

LMack. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me. That's why I at the beginning I asked how the pump functions. If it's waist fire or not. I also asked if wants to pump lines up with the key and slides right on is it in time? In the beginning of it all a local gentleman told me they slide right on right off no problems. Which I'm assuming should have been true but initially had no knowledge of the pin. We managed to get pump on out of alignment. This is where the problem began. So after discussion with you guys and I found out about how the pump needed to be aligned I just learned it and put it back on but at this point everything was already out of time. So what I should have done from that point was take the valve covers off and get the motor to TDC and then the pump but I didn't. I just kept playing with the pump in the alignment with the pin. At that point I rotated the motor one time but everything was out of alignment so it didn't matter I was chasing a ghost. So as I said before right now Motors at TDC. Did valve overlap procedure. Intake valve is just beginning to open and I stopped. It was about 4 degrees on the dampener. So I'm going to back off to TC. And pull pump off. I'm going to put it on the bench and use a small supply of air I'm going to pull out the spring and the delivery valve install back lock nut like you guys said and I'm going to rotate it until I hit air stop coming out of number one port. Which I'm assuming is the one on the front side of the pump flange side. Put valve in spring back in put pump back on truck.

Edited by Bliue dm
  • Like 1

Need serious help. Have done everything that have been instructed to do. Reach closed port on pump align motor to top dead center. Put pump on motor rotate motor to find out what present timing is which was 22 degrees. Rotated motor to 18 degrees. Readjusted fuel pump to Port closing at 18 degrees. Motor and still running off. When I crack up lines 2 through 5 I have a change in engine performance. When I crack Line 1 and 6 still no fire. No change in engine sound. So I'm wondering if I'm still off with the pump. Looking at rocker arms from passenger side the rocker arm with the big nut on the top is the exhaust valve correct? Just making sure that I have number 1 at top dead center on compression stroke.

Sorry been a tad busy on the farm and havent looked at this till now 
Did this run fine before the injector pump was changed or reco ?

What was the reason for pulling the pump off at the start ?

What was done to the injector pump and why  ?

If you pull 1 or 6 injector and clamp them to a injector line does any fuel come out and if so is it as it should be a fine high powered spray ??

If these injectors dont fire then try swapping them with others that do to see if its in the injector or pump 

Gotta start at the basics here I think

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul

Pump exchange for a rebuilt one. Truck was brought not running. The pump on the truck was set for 22 BTC and the one on there now is set at 18. I have going through all the procedures number one cylinder TDC and Port close on fuel pump. Slid right back on but truck running the same way that the first time. Double check my mark. At 18 degrees in the vibration dampener I cannot blow through the holes with number one spring and valve removed. Which means I'm dead on I'm assuming. I'm going to pull pump off again and do the Port close method again. Looking at rocker arms from passenger side I'm assuming the one with the bigger nut is the exhaust valve. I I have back valve cover off in the valve closest to the firewall getting ready to open with the vibration dampener at TC so I'm assuming number one is at tip Tip Top Dead Center on compression stroke. As long as I'm looking at the valves are right way. Truck starts it revs up but it seems like soon there's one in six or not firing

Bro if this engine were 180 0ut I highly would it would even try to run!  If you have any action on those number six rockers your definitely on number one and it   sounds like you got the timing spot on 22 or 18 doesn't matter, if its a timing issue and it didn't run clean at 22 and its supposed to be at 18   then!   Are you sure you don' t have a rag or something in the intake because this is totally bisar!???? Turbo is Free? Just sounds like its not getting air to me!  

Just another  thought! The Truck was not running when it came to you so it could be something stupid like that!

Ive Seen air cleaners put in upside down before too, so more theres  possibly shit to look for here maybe?

Also  Does it have an engine brake if the dynatard is stuck on the engine will run like shit and will smoke like hell!

Edited by fjh

As mackpaul is saying is  it fueling to the injector? if so swap injector 5 to injector six if six starts firing you know you have an injector issue! however  Being as you have smoke I suspect you have fuel but no compression! ( open or valve) or a stuck dyntard slave!

Edited by fjh

Yes Bud Do a valve adjustment on that cyl bring it up to tc( valves rockin on number one )and set the valves 16 on the intake and 24 on the exhuast or  just loosen the big jam nut push and turn the lash adjuster all the way down  till  it wont turn with your thumb then back it  out one half turn that will be close enough to ( aprox 24) to prove the point here!  the proper set  is 16 in 24 ex thou! There is also a possibility that you have a failed lifters in which  case you will have a popping sound at the air cleaner and very loose valve set check the valve set first if you have a lot of slack on one of the valve  like 1/32 of an inch STOP what your doing and check the pan plug for pieces! If the lifter has failed as you remove the drain plug it will feel like there is gravel on the threads!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1