Bliue dm

84. Top turbine 350 2v. Injection pump change.

Bliue dm    1

So to sum it up. The pump has some special groove on it to line up with the shaft. But am I still supposed to have the motor up at top dead center before I change?

Bliue dm    1

Some one told me that as long as I d don't turn motor pump can only slide on one way.  Which seemed to be true. But it was obvious during start up that things are way off. I've read many different threads but none have sent me in the right direction.  Mack 350 2v

blackdog2    179

there is an adjustment on front of motor under timming cover did you change pump or swap

Bliue dm    1

Pulled pump off. There was a spleen there with a dowel pin in it. Issue is I'm not getting any clear-cut information on whether this thing is supposed to be timed or because it has a key only fits on one way. Well not a key. There's a funny cut in the gear on the pump.

Lmackattack    783

We pulled a pump off a 285 years ago to have it re calabrated for sled pulling and it went right back on without needing to be timed.

fjh    237

The dowel on the engine side is meant to go on the pumpside where the cut out is on the hub it will be in time or at least where it was when you took it off if your putting a diffrent pump on then YOU should time it! put the dowel faceing you so you can see it and put thr hub cutaway in the approximate same spot Approx 2 oclock  i have found is the best location for install DO NOT pull it in with the bolts if it wont go in up to the bolt  flange IT AN T IN RIGHT!

Edited by fjh

Lmackattack    783

I think what FJH is saying is that if the same pump you took off is put back on. the timing will not have changed and will be set correctly. If this is a different pump going back in then it needs to be timed to be 100% sure its correct.

fjh    237
9 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

I think what FJH is saying is that if the same pump you took off is put back on. the timing will not have changed and will be set correctly. If this is a different pump going back in then it needs to be timed to be 100% sure its correct.

Trent is Correct!

• Like 1

Bliue dm    1

Understood. Pump is on truck. It starts but won't rev up in a lot of white smoke. I know it's out of time. My question is now am I still off in cycle? For this pump only goes on one way and the only thing left for me to do is degree it?. There's a 4 degree difference between both pumps. The old one was 22 BTC. The new one is 18 BTC. Will that 4 degrees give me the consistent white smoke and no Rev? Or do I need to take pump off and rotate engine one more time to next cycle?

Lmackattack    783

Help us out a little more here... After you pulled the fuel pump off of the engine....Did the engine get turned over or was the truck moved around the shop while in gear?  

Lmackattack    783

and I dont think 4 degrees will make much difference just at idle or no load revving. we advanced the timing on a sled puller and it made no smoke at idle and reved out just fine

Bliue dm    1

Yes engine was bumped over without pump on. Update it's now revving up. Had air in system. Still out of time though. Now I feel 4 degrees is the difference. Still white smoke though but fires right up. It's pinging a little as well.

Bliue dm    1

I would have never went about it this way. But I had local can't mechanic tell me it only go on one way. So now I'm not sure if that's the case or that it can still go in off cycle. I guess that's that what I'm not sure about. I know that it still has to be timed but it's the four degree difference going to going to change the issues that I have going on. Like I said truck is now revving up but pinging like the timing is off and still white smoke.

theakerstwo    630

You can flow time to check the timing.Remove the nut that holds the fuel line adapter down on # 1 and remove the delivery valve spring and tighten the nut back down.With fuel throttle in full fuel position and stop cable in run position pump the primer pump watching the fuel flow out of the fuel line adapter and turn the engine in run rotation very slow untill the fuel flow just cuts off.That is start of injection for # 1 cyl and the timing marks should line up to specs and not close but exactly.Recheck till you are sure its right and if not set the timing with the slotted bolts on the front drive under the little plate.

• Like 1

Bliue dm    1

Can we kinda start back at the top. The pump does it only go on one way. It has the funny cut out in the gear. Right now it's lined up over top the dowel. Slid right on. Can i I be on wrong stroke even tho truck fired up and revs. White smoke. If so then please some one tell me the the directions from the top on setting up this pump.  Right now truck starts but runs real ruff with white smoke. It does rev up. Pump on before was set at 22btc. The new pump calls for 18btc. 

If I were in your shoes I'd take it down to the dealer (or inj pump shop) and let the oldest, ancient knowledge, guy in the shop give me a guaranteed proper timing set. 

Ive done it a bunch of times and would still take mine in. Can't substitute proper flow-time tooling. Can't take chances on engine damage. 

• Like 1