84. Top turbine 350 2v. Injection pump change.

Bliue dm

Some one told me that as long as I d don't turn motor pump can only slide on one way.  Which seemed to be true. But it was obvious during start up that things are way off. I've read many different threads but none have sent me in the right direction.  Mack 350 2v

Pulled pump off. There was a spleen there with a dowel pin in it. Issue is I'm not getting any clear-cut information on whether this thing is supposed to be timed or because it has a key only fits on one way. Well not a key. There's a funny cut in the gear on the pump.

The dowel on the engine side is meant to go on the pumpside where the cut out is on the hub it will be in time or at least where it was when you took it off if your putting a diffrent pump on then YOU should time it! put the dowel faceing you so you can see it and put thr hub cutaway in the approximate same spot Approx 2 oclock  i have found is the best location for install DO NOT pull it in with the bolts if it wont go in up to the bolt  flange IT AN T IN RIGHT!

Edited by fjh

9 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

I think what FJH is saying is that if the same pump you took off is put back on. the timing will not have changed and will be set correctly. If this is a different pump going back in then it needs to be timed to be 100% sure its correct.

Trent is Correct!

• Like 1

Understood. Pump is on truck. It starts but won't rev up in a lot of white smoke. I know it's out of time. My question is now am I still off in cycle? For this pump only goes on one way and the only thing left for me to do is degree it?. There's a 4 degree difference between both pumps. The old one was 22 BTC. The new one is 18 BTC. Will that 4 degrees give me the consistent white smoke and no Rev? Or do I need to take pump off and rotate engine one more time to next cycle?

I would have never went about it this way. But I had local can't mechanic tell me it only go on one way. So now I'm not sure if that's the case or that it can still go in off cycle. I guess that's that what I'm not sure about. I know that it still has to be timed but it's the four degree difference going to going to change the issues that I have going on. Like I said truck is now revving up but pinging like the timing is off and still white smoke.

You can flow time to check the timing.Remove the nut that holds the fuel line adapter down on # 1 and remove the delivery valve spring and tighten the nut back down.With fuel throttle in full fuel position and stop cable in run position pump the primer pump watching the fuel flow out of the fuel line adapter and turn the engine in run rotation very slow untill the fuel flow just cuts off.That is start of injection for # 1 cyl and the timing marks should line up to specs and not close but exactly.Recheck till you are sure its right and if not set the timing with the slotted bolts on the front drive under the little plate.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Can we kinda start back at the top. The pump does it only go on one way. It has the funny cut out in the gear. Right now it's lined up over top the dowel. Slid right on. Can i I be on wrong stroke even tho truck fired up and revs. White smoke. If so then please some one tell me the the directions from the top on setting up this pump.  Right now truck starts but runs real ruff with white smoke. It does rev up. Pump on before was set at 22btc. The new pump calls for 18btc. 

This here is real hard to explain How ever I will try!!!! 

Set it at 22 I've had this issue on a V8 ! use Glenns method ! WITH A TWIST ::D  number one delivery valve and spring  removed  Delivery valve nut reinstalled !  connect  a Number six fuel line to the inlet of the fuel pump  inlet ! ( THE TWIST )once this is done blow into the line WITH YOUR Mouth Have someone start (with engine before TDC  ) turn the engine while blowing on the tube when you feel the flow or blowing stop and you can,t blow thru( AIR STOPS COMING THRU number one injection line port ) thats time of injection! check the numbers on the damper that is what its timed for NOW! The gear hub is slotted on the front of the pump (set the engine ) on your desired degree 18 or 22 loosen the 4 pump slot bolts repeat the blow time method  by turning the pump by the center nut till blowing stops (time of injection) tighten the slot bolts back the engine up to where you started Before TDC  blowing again and turning  it back to confirm it stop at the degree set one your happy with the set 18 or 22  re install the delivery VALVE AND SPRING put he line on  number one  hook the fuel supply up and light it up and see how it runs ! re install the cover once you confirm how it runs 

hope this helps!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2