Odd Mack Prototype at Macungie ATCA Meet

While at Macungie I normally check out to see what engines trucks have in them. 

I came across this odd Mack F 700 with a blue component at the back of the engine. I meant to ask on here what was, but while I was leaving the show, I saw these flames. It was explained to me that this was a Mack Prototype to test a turbine feature on the back of the engine to add power and efficiency. It was probably the only one built or survived.

Mack f 1.jpg

Mack F 2.jpg

Mack F 3.jpg

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog
  • Like 2

I partially overheard the guy explaining to someone.    The turbine was geared to the flywheel to transfer the power.   It had some kind of heat exchanger on the normal exhaust stack, and 2 radiators in the truck.    

Sounds likes Jay Barbe's F model.  Been discussed here a few times.  It does have the basic parts on the truck still, but it is not functional.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

37 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Sounds likes Jay Barbe's F model.  Been discussed here a few times.  It does have the basic parts on the truck still, but it is not functional.

It was Jays truck