Sign in to follow this  

Too be fair Mack has six models--- Pinnacle AF and AB/Granite AF and AB/MR and LR. Rawhide isn't a model its a trim level. Still way behind Volvo/Paccar/Navistar/Freightliner and Western Star. A company that made every model under the sun and shipped them all over the world is now in last place as far as selection. Can't blame Volvo for  every thing. Mack has been bleeding(divesting) for many years. Fire apparatus gone. Logging gone. Heavy off road gone. Heavy haul gone. Mid range gone. Signal bailed them out and dumped them. Renault kept them alive and dumped them. Volvo has turned them into an uncompetitive product on a Volvo chassis powered by a Volvo drive train. Sad for the long time loyal Mack users. Mack did it to themselves by not taking care of business way back when. On a minor brighter note- New model coming in the fall????:huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

Too be fair Mack has six models--- Pinnacle AF and AB/Granite AF and AB/MR and LR. Rawhide isn't a model its a trim level. Still way behind Volvo/Paccar/Navistar/Freightliner and Western Star. A company that made every model under the sun and shipped them all over the world is now in last place as far as selection. Can't blame Volvo for everything. Mack has been bleeding(divesting) for many years. Fire apparatus gone. Logging gone. Heavy off road gone. Heavy haul gone. Mid range gone. Signal bailed them out and dumped them. Renault kept them alive and dumped them. Volvo has turned them into an uncompetitive product on a Volvo chassis powered by a Volvo drive train. Sad for the long time loyal Mack users. Mack did it to themselves by not taking care of business way back when. On a minor brighter note- New model coming in the fall????:huh:

Jim, they actually only have four models. Axle-forward and axle-back configurations are variants of the same model.

We got out of off-highway because it was no longer profitable or practical. CAT works from a different angle........they can make it work but even for them it's about appearing to have a full portfolio rather than it being a profit center.

We had the best executive vice president of fire apparatus sales there ever was. He retired after a decades-long brilliant career. He was replaced by a drunk, and our fire apparatus business collapsed. That was the only major mistake that I hold the former Mack Trucks accountable for.

"Bleeding (divesting) for years"?  Signal did not "dump" Mack, in the sense that I know the term. Signal changed drastically as a company and Mack no longer fit their new direction.  As always, I respect your opinions, but mine are different.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:11 AM, james j neiweem said:

I guess the new Scania boss is not taking the Volvo reins off of Mack any more than the last bean counter did. I guess the bottom line is Volvo does not want to get pounded in the market place by the green haired step child. Didn't want to offend any red heads.:D

First of all Jim, the situation described, the minuscule Mack product portfolio, was in place when Martin Lundstedt arrived from Scania. One can arguably blame former ship's captain Olof Persson.

And the reason he was begged to come over to Volvo, and Olof fired, is the fact that the company was in a financial crisis.

Now, if Martin took "the Volvo reins off of Mack" today, just what heavy truck professional under the Mack brand at Volvo's Greensboro HQ would he be handing the reins over to?  

The last person they had of any substance was 40-year Mack veteran Kevin Flaherty who was forced into retirement by then Volvo CEO Olof Persson in September 2013.

KS: As usual our opinions are different. The difference is my opinions are just that opinions from my perspective. Your opinions are more closely tied to facts.:)

I think that Signal........as a roll up investment firm........did quite nicely with their investment in Mack.

• Like 1

The customer is number 1. If the customer is not happy, you do not need overpaid employees.