E7 Specs

New Mack owner here, and needing some information on my truck's capacities.

Its a '91 RD688S (Dump Truck), E7 460HP, Maxitorque 18-speed, Mack differentials.  I am in need of the amount and types of lubricants used on these components.

Where can I find a spec sheet on the engine and transmission that shows these capacities?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Like 1

I just changed the oil and filters (2 spin-on + 1 centri-max) in my 1992 EM7-300.  The spec sheet shows 33.5 qts including filters but I added 13+ gallons (52 qts) to get to the FULL mark on the dipstick.  I use Shell Rotella Triple-Protection/T4 15W-40.  Mack recommends SAE50 synthetic lube in the transmission and  either 75W-90 or 80W-90 synthetic in the axles.  Capacity is typically about five (5) gallons per component.

http://www.macktrucks.com/-/media/files/pv776-89149448.pdf/?la=en

https://www.wattstruckcenter.com/portal/engine/filter-kits/ (click on the E6/E7 filter kits BUTTON at top of page)

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Around that time period Mack had 2 different oil pans, one with about 34 qt. capacity, and the ESI deep pan 52 qt. I think with the E-tech late '90s they did away with the deep pan option. I thought it went away with the centri-max, but apparently not, Ken. My '85 has the big oil pan with 3 spin-on filters.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Around that time period Mack had 2 different oil pans, one with about 34 qt. capacity, and the ESI deep pan 52 qt. I think with the E-tech late '90s they did away with the deep pan option. I thought it went away with the centri-max, but apparently not, Ken. My '85 has the big oil pan with 3 spin-on filters.

Greg,

Thanks!  Makes sense about a larger pan.  Do you know if the same pan fits both the E6 and E7?  I do not remember specifics about the oil pan when the E7 was developed.  I looked in my parts book and it lists only one pan.  I checked some other E7 spec sheets and they all show 33.5 qts. capacity.  Perhaps it was a dealer installed item or installed by Martin's.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Greg,
Thanks!  Makes sense about a larger pan.  Do you know if the same pan fits both the E6 and E7?  I do not remember specifics about the oil pan when the E7 was developed.  I looked in my parts book and it lists only one pan.  I checked some other E7 spec sheets and they all show 33.5 qts. capacity.  Perhaps it was a dealer installed item or installed by Martin's.

I thought the deep pan went away with the introduction of the centri-max, but I suppose there are always exceptions. I believe E6 and E7 pans interchange.

the 52 quart pan i beieve usually came with a bigger radiator also    it was  for extended life longer range changes and better cooling..ive worked on a few with the big pan   the funy thing is the big pan and smaller pan use the same length pick up so even with  the big pan dont run your oil any lower cause the pick up height is the same

• Like 2

On a E7 there is two oil pans of same size.One uses a thick rubber gasket and the other one uses a paper gasket and bolts are different size          so they will not interchange.

Yes now I recall my E-tech had metric bolts with a shoulder and a thick rubber gasket.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Oil and filter change is Monday (Memorial Day) and transmission & differentials are Thursday.  I will post my results.

My E7 has two (2) spin-on oil filters, and a centrifugal filter.

• 6 years later...

thanx Joey Mack-wantin to do somthin crazy- tryin to build a 20,000# truck and hopper trailer-e7 is probly as light as 6-71 w a lot bettr output.

dont know of anything lighter than a crackerbox.  got one bought m pickin up monday. the parts I cant do away with completely like a passenger seat, im gonna replace w luminum. evrybody heres lookin for a strait jacket.

E7 boasts being about 16 lbs lighter than an E6 on account of having a smaller, more refined water jacket. The E7 is a wet/dry cylinder sleeve assembly. Top half of the sleeve is wet, bottom half dry. I forget how many quarts less it holds, but it's enough to make the E7 with coolant lighter than the E6 with coolant, even though dry the E7 is heavier.

The E7 is a 12 liter displacement engine vs the E6 is an 11 liter displacement.

Edited by JoeH