Yeah, I need 224 spark plugs for my tune up...

grayhair

When I went to school to get my A&P certification the power plant instructor told us the reason radial engines are round is so you can roll them to the scrap yard.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

4 hours ago, 68-f-model said:

For some reason I think a giant  mouth would  look good  painted  right where the yellow 0050 is on the front.  It already has a nose  so why no go with it.

Like a P51 mustang............

DSC_1941.jpg

(dammit it won't post the pic)

or "Mater"?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

6 hours ago, eddeere said:

Is this the  C 124 ?  Flew on similar aircraft out of Barksdale  A.F.B. years ago. Can not remember the aircraft  model #.

Yes C-1124 Globe Master II

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Yes C-1124 Globe Master II

Thanks '41.  Manufacturer was Douglas.  Here's the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS

• Wingspan:174 ft 2 in
  • Length:130 ft
  • Height:48 ft 4 in
  • Weight:194,500 lbs (loaded)
  • Max. Speed:271 mph
  • Service Ceiling:18,400 ft
  • Range:4,030 miles
  • Engines:4 Pratt& Whitney R-4360-63A radials, 3,800 horsepower each
  • Crew:8, passengers 20

given the name on the building I wonder which model Harley they plan to put this R4360 in to....:D

nicknamed the "corncob" for obvious reasons, each row of cylinders is displaced a few degrees to direct air flow to the rear, notorious for running hot it's amazing they lasted so long in military service on the C-124 and C97.

I've also added video of the rescue of a C124 from Aberdeen Proving Grounds MD, most museums picked them up there in the 90's... planes were grounded soon after Vietnam was over, just plum wore them out flying to VN and Germany too... I used to hear them at night flying over England from Dover Delaware to Frankfurt, heard them coming for 20 mins before they were overhead London, slow and noisy... 

BC Mack

• Like 1

Wow.....I was a Civilian Firefighter at APG 1997-2005 and spent 3 years on the crash crew at Phillips. Many of the aircraft seen in the video were still there when I was there. And I am SHOCKED that they were able to film the footage that they did (especially in 1983 cold war days) as much of the area is sensitive. Either they snuck it past the secret squirrels or they went over it with a fine tooth comb before they let whoever publish it. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks for information . After 47 years I was not sure of the aircraft model #. On my first flight  I looked inside and saw a couple of jeeps or trucks and said this will never get off the ground. My friend an old tech. sgt. said when it was first designed they were not sure. It got a lot of lift from the body. If you just looked at the wings you would think no way. From a distance it looked like a giant bumble bee but a bumble bee was not supposed to be able to fly either .

• Like 1

The C-124 is an evolution of the Douglas C-74 Globemaster 1 (which was first used in the Berlin Airlift and was planned to also be a passenger airliner with the provisional designation of "DC-8"), not many were made or seen, however, if you watch the original 60's movie "The Italian Job" with Michael Caine you will see one mocked up as a Chinese airliner unloading gold bullion in Milan Italy...

At the request of the USAF for an outsized cargo carrier Douglas simply added an extra deck... if you ever meet an old aircrew member raise your voice as he will be deaf, they were called 'Ol Shakey' for a reason and if you ever get a chance to explore one at a museum take a look at the fold down floor that quickly converts it to a double decker and the rear mounted freight elevator...

The latest generation of Globemaster 3 is leaps and bounds ahead in ability and technology.

BC Mack

c74.jpg