1979 R model need help with title, reg., and insurance

Not sure if Im posting this in the right spot or not but Im seriously considering buying a 79 R model dump, which I would then convert into a flatbed type hauler for a gooseneck trailer.  I've attempted to look into registration and insurance for similar vehicles and it was no easy task without having commercial tags and insurance.  Im just wondering if anyone out there has any experience dealing with this, and if so what companies did they use?  I tried progressive and got several different answers form everyone I spoke with there, and ultimately they said no unless I went with a commercial plan.  Im not looking to use this in business at all, just to pull my trailer moving my own equipment around.  I'm from the great state of NJ and I also tried to contact the DMV regarding my options but they were less then helpful...If anyone has experience dealing with this especially those in NJ any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  

Welcome to the forums.

This gets hashed out regularly with individuals trying to use "antique" equipment and not have to jump through the hoops of what it takes "commercially".

Is this going to be "business" equipment like making money kind of thing?  Or going to shows with your toys?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have 2 Macks registered non-commercial in NJ. Its actually not very difficult in our state. As long as your using it for private non-commercial applications it is just a normal registration. It needs to be registered for its correct GVW (which the fee schedule is identical for commercial) and you will have to pay sales tax on it being its non-commercial. I personally use Progressive for insurance. Cost me $875 per truck per year and that includes any trailer I'm hooked to. I'm assuming it will be registered over 18,000 lbs so it will still need an annual smoke test.

Of course being its a 1979 it will be much cheaper to register is as "antique"  but you are rolling the dice transporting anything around. NJ has a very limited definition for uses of antique vehicles.

Here in N.Y. I had 2 options. Historical plates or commercial. I had a commercial policy and plates but put "not for hire" in the doors. Only $300 for insurance I believe that was through Erie nobody wanted to put a policy on it because of the wrecker. A good insurance agent can steer you in the right direction for what you need. 

You need to decide if you want to insure it as an antique. 

**IF** you go that route, the three biggest names in antique insurance are Gulfway, Condon and Skelly and JC Taylor.

I had C & S for several years and left them when they up and changed underwriters without notifying me which irritated me. Never had problems with them but that was a huge issue in my eyes. Went to JC Taylor about 10 years ago, excellent people providing excellent, timely and efficient service. I did recently hear a rumor that they are no longer accepting new "big truck" customers when a buddy tried to get his firetruck insured by them. 

A lot of guys in here also have Gulfway and are very happy. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Also Hegerty and Berkley Classics are a couple more to throw out there also. I have Berkley (they bought my original insurer,Continental Western). Reasonable,but they have restrictions.   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Thanks for all the info so far.  I wouldn't be using the truck to make money just pretty much for moving toys around, and my farm tractor to upstate NY a couple times a year.  I figured that going the "historic" route would be cheaper but the definitions for use are a little vague and Id rather not have to worry about it.  The biggest concern I have at the "non commercial" stand point is the annual reg fee.  This particular truck has a 35k GVW, I wouldn't be using it for anything near that so I think its silly to have to pay for all that weight rating.  Is there any way I could get it lowered??  Even going down to say 26K would save a decent amount every year.  Even better would be to get below the 18k to avoid the smoke test LOL...However I did find this in looking at the DMV website for vehicles exempt from inspection, but I don't know if it would also apply to the smoke test requirement 

All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses

here in neveda,,,,we can register antique commercial....12 buck a year,,,and recreational camper insurance....for around 150 a year....im sure new jersey has a similar plan..lotta guys on here from there with antiques im sure you will find your info soon..good luck....bob

I've using Hagerty, 3 trucks under $500 a year and they let me pull my trailer as long as I'm only hauling my stuff.

They sent me this email today, looks like they are embracing old trucks.

https://contentsharing.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?recipient_id=2743836350&message_id=13987629&user_id=HAGERTY&group_id=4054938&jobid=36542083

• Like 1