Hard starting after parked for a few days.

gumbiegumbie

After my truck sets for a few days you have to start it with ether. Once you start it you can start it easily the rest of the day and maybe even the next day. The truck was smoking a little bit too much leading me to believe the injector tips we're not sealing good and I had some more I wanted to put in any way and that fixed the smoking but not the cranking. The line between the heads isn't leaking and the line from the front head around to the block isnt leaking so I'm thinking it has to be the check valve letting the fuel rail drain back to the tank. Am I on the right track? Oh yeah, it's a 2001 etech.

Edited by gumbiegumbie
Content

If fuel is there, what would you look at next. It's cranking like when you run out of fuel or change a filter without filling it up. That's why I think it's fuel. Just trying to figure out whatsomething letting it drain back. The little line coming from the head is on the tank side of the check valve so how does that work? 

I have a davco fuel filter and you can see the fuel in it so I had dismissed the fuel supply line. That might be incorrect thinking? I just changed my other 2 spin-on fuel filters and it done it before and after so not sure about the filter o-ring. I guess next I'll change all the short lines that go back and forth across the top of the motor to the filters and fuel pump and back to the block. If it sucks air when the motor is off wouldn't it be messy when it was running and had pressure? 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, gumbiegumbie said:

I have a davco fuel filter and you can see the fuel in it so I had dismissed the fuel supply line. That might be incorrect thinking? I just changed my other 2 spin-on fuel filters and it done it before and after so not sure about the filter o-ring. I guess next I'll change all the short lines that go back and forth across the top of the motor to the filters and fuel pump and back to the block. If it sucks air when the motor is off wouldn't it be messy when it was running and had pressure? 

I've had a bag fuel line that didn't leak whin running but let the fuel drain down when not,just crack open a line before starting to see if that's the problem then go from there. I've fixed a lot of things that weren't broke in my days. lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, bts-4120 said:

plastic return line that returns from the head back to the return line  its about 2ft long and will cause this   its pretty common

What is the routing of this plastic line.  Which side of engine, to where?  I may have a similar problem that I'm chasing.

• 2 weeks later...