Trump and the Environment

kscarbel2

"We're going to cancel the Paris climate agreement … and stop all payments of the United States tax dollars to UN global warming programs," Trump vowed at a May speech in North Dakota. 

The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive

@realDonaldTrump

This very expensive GLOBAL WARMING bullsh*t has got to stop. Our planet is freezing, record low temps,and our GW scientists are stuck in ice

@realDonaldTrump

The Washington Post  /  December 5, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump met Monday with former vice president Al Gore, a prominent activist in the fight against global warming.

Gore was invited to Trump Tower to discuss the topic by Trump’s oldest daughter, Ivanka, who is not registered with a political party and has pushed her father to adopt some positions usually promoted by Democrats.

“I had a lengthy and very productive session with the president-elect. It was a sincere search for areas of common ground,” said Gore. “I had a meeting beforehand with Ivanka Trump. The bulk of the time was with the president-elect, Donald Trump. I found it an extremely interesting conversation, and to be continued, and I'm just going to leave it at that.”

Trump has repeatedly called climate change a “hoax” and said it was perpetrated by the Chinese government to take manufacturing jobs from the United States. But during a meeting with the New York Times late last month, he [flip-flopped] said he would keep an “open mind” on the issue and acknowledged that human activity might be connected to changes in the climate.

The former vice president “made clear in his statements following the election that he intended to do everything he could to work with the president-elect to ensure our nation remains a leader in the effort to address the climate crisis,” said a Gore aide.

While Gore was not personally close to Hillary Clinton — their relationship became strained in the wake of President Bill Clinton’s impeachment and as they each vied for Democratic donors' support during their respective political bids in 2000 — the former vice president campaigned on her behalf late in this year’s presidential campaign.

In October, Gore warned that Trump, “based on the ideas that he has presented, would take us toward a climate catastrophe.” Appealing directly to millennials, he alluded to his own narrow loss to George W. Bush in 2000 in Florida and said young people could not afford to vote for anyone other than Clinton.

“The world is on the cusp of either building on the progress and solving the climate crisis, or stepping back, washing our hands of America’s traditional role as the leader of the world and letting the big polluters call the shots,” Gore said. “The choice is that clear. It’s that stark.”

Ivanka Trump reached out directly to Gore with an invitation to meet, although Gore did not know that the president-elect would be included.

Gore was “impressed by her thoughtful comments and framing on the issue,” according to the associate, and agreed to stop by for a meeting.

“She clearly is an emissary, and was on this one,” the associate said.

Although Ivanka Trump has said she does not plan to take an active role in her father’s administration, she is one of the most influential people in his life and is a member of his transition team. Her husband, Jared Kushner, is one of Trump’s most trusted aides.

36 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

Not to mention receive a poor quality product, I bought some channel iron the other day and the web was dished about 3/16, don't remember U.S. steel being that way, always nice and square.     

Got a good example. Bought 6 plates of 1/2'' x 6'' x 3'  High Brass alloy for some parts for and AC-6 Mack. I had it sitting under tarp in my garage. The crap started to get very light rust in spots laying in the garage for a bit over a year. Crap was expensive and find out it comes from  Bangladesh and apparently has what ever was laying around tossed in it.

hyigh brass rust.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Reuters  /  December 13, 26

The U.S. Energy Department said on Tuesday it refused to comply with a request from President-elect Donald Trump's Energy Department transition team for the names of people who have worked on climate change and the professional society memberships of lab workers.

The memo sent to the Energy Department on Tuesday and reviewed by Reuters last week contains 74 questions including a request for a list of all department employees and contractors who attended the annual global climate talks hosted by the United Nations within the last five years.

Energy Department spokesman Eben Burnham-Snyder said Tuesday the department will not comply.

"Our career workforce, including our contractors and employees at our labs, comprise the backbone of (the Energy Department) and the important work our department does to benefit the American people," Burnham-Snyder said.

"We are going to respect the professional and scientific integrity and independence of our employees at our labs and across our department," he added. "We will be forthcoming with all publicly available information with the transition team. We will not be providing any individual names to the transition team."

He added that the request "left many in our workforce unsettled."

Trump has named former Texas Governor Rick Perry to run the Department of Energy*. The agency employs more than 90,000 people working on nuclear weapons maintenance and research labs, nuclear energy, advanced renewable energy, batteries and climate science.

* https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/14/rick-perry-formally-announced-as-trump-pick-for-energy-secretary

11 hours ago, hatcity said:

could be lots of job vacancies at the Energy Dept. soon

One can only hope.  What a massive waste of money.  One of the original goals of DOE was a better grid and energy Independence. Maybe Rick Perry can also do away with the Rural Electrification Act (1936) which has long since served its original purpose.

13 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The agency employs more than 90,000 people working on nuclear weapons maintenance and research labs, nuclear energy, advanced renewable energy, batteries and climate science.

Talk about the need for a giant RIF  (reduction in force as it was known to employees of Jack Welch.)

Edited by grayhair

On 12/5/2016 at 8:48 PM, gearhead204 said:

this is the mentality that kills me ......just move the pollution to another country and we will save the planet!.....mean while take jobs away and dish out welfare to people that would rather have a job......... and pay taxes

move steel mills to china and then pay for a ship to haul it back to us.......does the ship run on unicorn piss and fairy farts? all we have done is cripple our selves, and become dependent upon others. Not to mention receive a poor quality product, I bought some channel iron the other day and the web was dished about 3/16, don't remember U.S. steel being that way, always nice and square.     

For sure.   Just look at the news coverage of the pollution "alerts" in India and China for example.  They can't see the sun at times. How is that possible?   I guess when your industry has NO regulation, it becomes a given.  

On 12/5/2016 at 9:44 PM, 41chevy said:

Got a good example. Bought 6 plates of 1/2'' x 6'' x 3'  High Brass alloy for some parts for and AC-6 Mack. I had it sitting under tarp in my garage. The crap started to get very light rust in spots laying in the garage for a bit over a year. Crap was expensive and find out it comes from  Bangladesh and apparently has what ever was laying around tossed in it.

hyigh brass rust.jpg

All kinds of stories about A-36 steel plate-  NOT U.S. for sure- all sorts of delamination

• Like 1