Mercedes-Benz launches work-focused G-Wagon ute

kscarbel2

Matt Wood, Trade Trucks AU  /  December 2, 2016

The choice of the ADF, the Benz wagon is now on the market in a 4x4 cab-chassis variant 

Mercedes-Benz has just launched a work focused 4x4 cab-chassis spin-off of it’s capable, yet premium-priced, 4x4 G-Wagon (Geländewagen ).

The G-Wagon professional brings a 2 metric ton (4,409lb) payload (4,490kg GVM without tray) to the table as well as a formidable off-road pedigree.

The Benz G-Wagon is already the light vehicle of choice for the Australian Defence Force.

The G-Pro sits on 16-inch alloys and has 245mm of ground clearance and a 650mm wading depth. It uses full-time 4x4 system with front, rear and centre diff-locks. Drive to the front and rear wheels is split 50:50.

For those who like to strut up and down their bonnet while in the bush, the engine lid can be fitted with non-slip material and has a load capacity of 100kg. The G-Pro also has a braked towing capacity of 2,210kg.

Live front and rear axles are suspended by coil springs all round.

The 3,400mm (134 inch) wheelbase of the G-Pro gives room for a 2,400mm (7.87 foot) tray which makes for easy load distribution across both axles.

Under the bonnet sits a 3-litre V6 diesel that provides 135kW (181hp) at 3,800rpm and 400Nm from 1,600 to 2,000 rpm. And behind that donk sits a 5-speed auto as standard equipment.

There’s also a tyre pressure monitoring system to alert the driver of any sudden deflation.

A factory snorkel and cyclonic air filter are standard fit as is a bullbar and headlight and indicator protection mesh.

Fuel capacity is 96 litres and electrics are powered by a dual 12 volt battery system.

To keep things safe, the down and dirty Benz is equipped with a switchable ESC system that includes Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist and ABS. It also gets driver and passenger airbag.

There is no factory tray option so the G-Pro arrives sans tray. Customers will have to arrange for their own body or tray fitment.

The G300 CDI has a manufacturers recommended list price of AU$119,900 (US$89,268) Including GST and LCT(this excludes dealer delivery and on road costs including tray). 

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

• Like 1

Mrs Mack Paul, I wonder what the msrp would be if the the buyer would opt out of the gold plating on the tray and the unobtainium plating on the engine?😁

Perhaps the price could be further reduced by including a Milton commercial tire gauge (made in Pennsylvania, not China 15.00) and deleting the unnecessary tire pressure monitoring system! And including a manual for the operation of the tire gauge for the mechanically challenged😁 including the health benefits of getting off your dead ass and checking your tires!

I would be more glad if they delete the transfer case range monitoring system (the electric shifter) and bring back the lever. It would decrease the cost and both decrease fixing costs and headaches.

When I visited Stayer-Puch museum in the city of Graz in Austria (the place where the factory of production of these units is located) there was G dump truck on a display. Probably was built in early 90's and never reached serial production.

That's a kind of funny factory by some point. They produced the line of vehicles particulary starting from the army and commercial Styer trucks to European assembled Jeep Cheerokee and Chrysler PT cruiser equipped with Daimler-Benz diesel engines. All Mercedes 4-matic 4x4 cars along with VW Caravella Synchro and VW Golf Country (in its production years) were made there either. 

Just forgot to add, their initial production products were bicycles and later motorcycles.

Small amounts of production, premium-quality materials and high market costs as the follow. Seems like they feel good with all that.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I have a Styer/Mannlicher AUG- A2 they make quality products. Wouldn't mind if the remade the Styer RSO. Good ATV.  :)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Had a Steyr bicycle back in the late 60s, basic 3 speed hub gear but very well made. Sears sold them, for around $35 you ordered "3 speed bicycle" out of the Sears catalog and received either a Steyr or a lower quality bike. If you got the Steyr you kept it, if not your returned it and tried again. Got the Steyr on first try, assembled it just outside the front door of the Sears catalog warehouse/retail store in Minneapolis, used the air hose at the Sears Auto Center to pump up the tires, then rode it the mile home.

• Like 1

Vlad, they built a PT Cruiser with a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine? I suppose this is only available in Europe? Or was since they aren't made anymore! I said when they first came out I'd love to wait 10 or 15 years when they were worn out and build a tubing frame to go under it to make it rear wheel drive with a v8 engine in the front! Teamster Grrrl the average teenager today can't even drive a stick shift, let alone assemble a bicycle!

On 06.12.2016 at 9:34 PM, BillyT said:

Vlad, they built a PT Cruiser with a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine? I suppose this is only available in Europe? Or was since they aren't made anymore! I said when they first came out I'd love to wait 10 or 15 years when they were worn out and build a tubing frame to go under it to make it rear wheel drive with a v8 engine in the front! Teamster Grrrl the average teenager today can't even drive a stick shift, let alone assemble a bicycle!

Yes, they did. But they sure were/are located in Europe, Austria:D

BTW Austria is NOT Australia.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012