Straight Piping

Is it ok to straight pipe a 2004 cxn 613 with a 427? What i mean by "is it ok" is will it hurt the motor or anything like that. thank you

If your CXN has the muffler under the cab and you remove it , you will see a power and MPG increase. Those bottom muffler are very restrictive. We do alot of those here as well.

Hmm...I've got the twice pipe set up w/mufflers...any mpg increase with straights over mufflers with 2?

We did one a daycab CX not long ago that had factory dual with 2 mufflers and it didnt help much. The owner said it sound good, but after all day of hearing it roar right behind the cab he wishes he would have left it as is. I did drive it and it was loud. Loud enough its hard to talk on a cell phone. The sleeper trucks seem alot more quite due to the exhaust being farther away.

I am one who like no noise at all and i like to use the jake where ever with out having the fear of a ticket or botheren any one. I think it is very childess in a grown man to wake up every one in town with jakes when all it is being dont for is to say ha guys look at me. I have listen to engines run all my live and am hard hearing over the rackety and dont need any more of it.What i do like is hear a engine run under load with a short muffler and long tail pipe but can live with out that for the sake of my ears. So much for that and that is free my 2 cents worth. glenn

glenn akers

I am one who like no noise at all and i like to use the jake where ever with out having the fear of a ticket or botheren any one. I think it is very childess in a grown man to wake up every one in town with jakes when all it is being dont for is to say ha guys look at me. I have listen to engines run all my live and am hard hearing over the rackety and dont need any more of it.What i do like is hear a engine run under load with a short muffler and long tail pipe but can live with out that for the sake of my ears. So much for that and that is free my 2 cents worth. glenn

Glenn I'm with ya pal!

One exception thou!I like the sound of a V8 pulling, straight pipe or not!

Kind of a locamotive sound to it! Real powerful throb!

Glenn I'm with ya pal!

One exception thou!I like the sound of a V8 pulling, straight pipe or not!

Kind of a locamotive sound to it! Real powerful throb!

Ya we are talking about the E9 I had one sitting in the shop and we was mashing on it trying to find a miss and it shook a clock off a cement block wall hanging on a nail. They shake the ground they stand on.glenn

glenn akers

We did one a daycab CX not long ago that had factory dual with 2 mufflers and it didnt help much. The owner said it sound good, but after all day of hearing it roar right behind the cab he wishes he would have left it as is. I did drive it and it was loud. Loud enough its hard to talk on a cell phone. The sleeper trucks seem alot more quite due to the exhaust being farther away.

I think I'm just looking for any excuse to do so. Sad thing though, the straight pipes and related hardware will cost about 4 times what it cost me to put new mufflers and turn-outs on a year ago. However, I do think the Mack with straights has the best sound compared to the rest.

Unfortunately, I've got the combination jake brake and exhaust brake...so there's relatively little noise...almost sounds like a wet fart. I suppose I could clamp off the air line to the butterfly under the cab...which would make it more useless than it already is.

Edited by Gambi80

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I think I'm just looking for any excuse to do so. Sad thing though, the straight pipes and related hardware will cost about 4 times what it cost me to put new mufflers and turn-outs on a year ago. However, I do think the Mack with straights has the best sound compared to the rest.

Unfortunately, I've got the combination jake brake and exhaust brake...so there's relatively little noise...almost sounds like a wet fart. I suppose I could clamp off the air line to the butterfly under the cab...which would make it more useless than it already is.

IF YOUR MUFFLER IS UNDER THE TRUCK JUST LEAVE THE PIPE THE WAY IT IS AND PUT A ELBOW ON IT AND HOOK THE PIPES TO GETHERE THIS WAY YOU WONT HAVE TO BUY THE PIPE OR MOVE YOUR FUEL LINES OR AIR LINES AND IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN PUT A SMALL MUFFLER RIGHT ONTHE BACK PIPE BRACKET

If I may throw my 2 cents worth in then, I go along with Glenn because if you are talking about a stock engine then its best to stay with some restriction. All stock and some modified engines run best as test results have shown us for many years with some kind of muffler. Its called reversion. Its has to do with sound waves coming from the header pipe or pipes. Tests have shown some mufflers work better than others. We all LOVE the naturally aspirated engines or we would be begging for the electric motors to power our vehicles. But...... If you want to be deaf early in life then go ahead and blow them eardrums out. One thing that I dislike is to talk to a person when all they can say to me is HUH, every time I speak to them. Most of the time I walk off, and think to myself that person is dumber than dog crap. And they won't listen to me or anyone else even if they were not deaf.

Happy Sound Waves To You!

mike

If I may throw my 2 cents worth in then, I go along with Glenn because if you are talking about a stock engine then its best to stay with some restriction. All stock and some modified engines run best as test results have shown us for many years with some kind of muffler. Its called reversion. Its has to do with sound waves coming from the header pipe or pipes. Tests have shown some mufflers work better than others. We all LOVE the naturally aspirated engines or we would be begging for the electric motors to power our vehicles. But...... If you want to be deaf early in life then go ahead and blow them eardrums out. One thing that I dislike is to talk to a person when all they can say to me is HUH, every time I speak to them. Most of the time I walk off, and think to myself that person is dumber than dog crap. And they won't listen to me or anyone else even if they were not deaf.

Happy Sound Waves To You!

mike

The ony reason I don't have a muffler on the mixer is because I couldn't find one anywhere around-"we can order one for 'ya, be in in a couple of weeks". So I just went with a 5" chrome stack. It's very loud, but I don't drive it too far too often.

When I was younger I put a straight pipe on the f-model 300 I drove and it wasn't loud at all. Most people around here just ran straight pipes on Macks when the muffler gave out. I put one on the f-model with the 350 cummins in it too and that was a different story-very loud! But the worst (loudest) had to be the Transtar with a VT903 Cummins and straight pipe-I couldn't run one load of chips to Covington in it. I drove it once when my truck was in the shop for something. Same truck-'74 Transtars w/VT903s, except my regular unit had a muffler. I thought it sounded awesome at first, but that got old quick, and by the time I got back I had a pounding headache. I told 'em i'd wait on my truck, I cain't drive this muh#*%@ here!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The jake brake is one of the geatest things they ever put on a truck engine in my opinion, I run the mountains of Va, W.V, and western Pa. all the time. Did for years without a jake. I don't have anything against straight pipes, but I think that's probably why so many towns won't even let you use the jake, because of straight pipes. I've never put a straight pipe on a truck that had a jake brake.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I don't understand the whole strait pipe crowd so much but I admit I like the sound. I would put a short muffler under the cab and rig a bypass pipe around it with a butterfly valve to turn the strait pipes on and off. Just plumb an air switch or use a solenoid valve to open and close the butterfly valve. Then you can make some noise if you want or keep it quiet.

I have two ideas one is a muffler with a built in bypass valve and the other is a method of strait piping newer EPA 2007 and 2010 engines without bypassing the emissions systems.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!