paving train

carlotpilot

in the late 80s a contractor building the new I-10-I-17 freeway through phoenix az  had a paving train set up that was laying 4 12 foot concrete lanes at once. the rig was set up in such a way that double bottom dump  trailers could drive right on to the rig while it was moving to unload   has any one seen or have pictures of that set up?

that would be a sight to see 48 feet at once WOW, I worked at Pane Field in Everett Wa. in 92, we were building a flight line expunction for Boeing put 40+ acres under concrete we used a walking form setter and did I believe 20' panels. we had a portable batch plant set up about 7 miles away and hauled the mud in 3 axle dump trucks 5yds. at a time and just dumped the mud in front of the  machine and then they filled the gaps using a cat 950 loader to keep it tight to the machine. coming straight from the farm at that time it was pretty awesome to watch.   

7 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

that would be a sight to see 48 feet at once WOW, I worked at Pane Field in Everett Wa. in 92, we were building a flight line expunction for Boeing put 40+ acres under concrete we used a walking form setter and did I believe 20' panels. we had a portable batch plant set up about 7 miles away and hauled the mud in 3 axle dump trucks 5yds. at a time and just dumped the mud in front of the  machine and then they filled the gaps using a cat 950 loader to keep it tight to the machine. coming straight from the farm at that time it was pretty awesome to watch.   

I watched this rig in action and did`nt have sense enough to take pictures  back then .they had a drive on platform alongside that fully loaded belly dumps could just drive on stop- dump first trlr move up dump second then drive off . the machine was a least a 130 ft long ` trucks dumped into an auger emptied bin without getting into the wet concrete at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearhead204 said:

we had to run mud locks on our tailgates to keep them from blowing open when we would hit a bump, depending on the style of belly dump gate I would guess they would have to do the same,

I didn't pay that much attention to the trucks them selves but they were all part of the company doing the job so they were likely set up to work with all that mess

hwy-41-3.jpg

Picture borrowed from Google.  Said that it was 52 feet wide.  Didn't see a picture where the truck was on the machine.  This was dump and screed.  Certainly putting the truck on the machine would add a lot of technical factors to the operation.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

About a year ago I saw what could be described as a paving train. I think it was six trucks pulling various equipment, all hooked together. Basically what it did was took up the old asphalt, heated it, mixed some new oil with it, and put it back down. It was a huge contraption with a big propane tank to supply the heat.

I stopped and talked to one of the flagmen about it. He said it was a experimental project they were working on. I don't know how well it turned out long term but it looked as good as any coming right out of the machine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m16ty said:

About a year ago I saw what could be described as a paving train. I think it was six trucks pulling various equipment, all hooked together. Basically what it did was took up the old asphalt, heated it, mixed some new oil with it, and put it back down. It was a huge contraption with a big propane tank to supply the heat.

I stopped and talked to one of the flagmen about it. He said it was a experimental project they were working on. I don't know how well it turned out long term but it looked as good as any coming right out of the machine.  

asphalt reclamation operation `works quite well and is fairly common now . does`nt work at all with concrete

16 hours ago, j hancock said:

hwy-41-3.jpg

Picture borrowed from Google.  Said that it was 52 feet wide.  Didn't see a picture where the truck was on the machine.  This was dump and screed.  Certainly putting the truck on the machine would add a lot of technical factors to the operation.

jim     did google give a location for this job?

• 5 weeks later...

When you guys mentioned the truck driving up on the rig it reminded me of the dump platform Frito Lay has in Binghamton Ny near the t.s. You drive your  reefer or dry van on a platform and I guess they tie it down.You open the doors and the platform goes up like a dump body and the potatoes roll out into a bin! Pretty slick! There are a couple locations around the country that employ various hydraulic ramps to unload dry vans.At the docks in New Orleans you drop your trailer and they back a tractor with a hoist under it to unload bales of cotton.

Here in beet country they're putting in side lift hoists at the "piling stations", they use a flatbed trailer with hinged sides and drop the side that they're unloading off of. In central Florida I know of at least one orange juice processing plant that uses a spotting tractor with a high lift 5th wheel to dump trailer loads of oranges out the rear of a flatbed with sides.