Could Trump expose another UAW disconnect?

kscarbel2

John Irwin, Automotive News  /  July 27, 2016

UAW President Dennis Williams faces another potential headache less than a year after a contentious contract ratification process with the Detroit 3: Donald Trump.

Blue-collar support for Trump, who won the Republican presidential nomination in part by appealing to workers like those represented by the UAW, could threaten to expose another potential rift between union leadership and some rank-and-file members.

One rift was exposed last year when Fiat Chrysler workers soundly rejected an initial deal cut between union leadership and the automaker, when General Motors skilled-trades workers rejected and delayed ratification of a new contract and when leadership narrowly escaped another embarrassing rejection at the hands of Ford workers.

Although the UAW was able to secure significant gains with the Detroit 3 -- including an agreement to end the dreaded two-tier wage system -- the contentious ratification process exposed a significant gap between the priorities of union leadership and a large share of workers.

Now, Trump could expose another gap, and Williams says he and union leaders are doing everything in their power to keep that from happening.

Recent polls show blue-collar workers, especially white workers, supporting Trump by large margins. That could give Trump an advantage in the UAW’s home in the Rust Belt, where blue-collar voters typically lean Democratic but can be persuaded to vote Republican if a message resonates. (See: Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984.)

Trump has tapped into blue-collar workers’ often legitimate fears about globalization and free-trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement and the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Many voters, especially those without college degrees and those who work in manufacturing, feel as though Washington has left them behind over the last few decades as jobs moved out of the country and wages stagnated.

Trump, who, to be sure, has also built his campaign on inflammatory rhetoric, racial resentment and xenophobia, has largely avoided specifics about how he would craft better trade deals. And, as Williams has pointed out, Trump has said things that could be unflattering to the average worker, suggesting that wages are too high and saying automakers should move production toward lower-wage states.

But that doesn’t seem to matter to many blue-collar voters. When presented with an option between Trump and Hillary Clinton -- an establishment politician who previously supported TPP before backtracking and whose husband signed NAFTA into law -- many of these workers are siding with the former reality TV star.

Williams, speaking with reporters Tuesday on a conference call from the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, said the UAW would do everything it could to ensure Clinton becomes president and gets the support of as many union members as possible.

Williams said Clinton “made every indication” during a sit-down with her that she would renegotiate NAFTA as president, which Williams said would help win over UAW members reluctant to support her.

Williams also said the union has begun “engaging” workers on the election and has promised to knock on doors in each of the states the UAW is located.

“We believe that … the more we educate our members, the more they will support Hillary Clinton,” he said.

That engagement appears to be showing signs of working, if what Williams said is any indication. Williams said he estimates between 18 and 19 percent of UAW members support Trump today, down from the 28 percent of workers an internal poll found several months ago.

If those numbers are accurate, it is an encouraging sign that the UAW leadership is more effectively communicating with its members than it was last year, when Williams admitted the union was caught off guard by anti-ratification workers on social media.

But as last year showed, UAW leadership cannot afford to get complacent on messaging. Otherwise, if Trump rides on the support of enough blue-collar workers into office, that gap between leadership and some members could shut the union out of the White House for four or eight years.

In the last few years the rank and file union members are getting screwed while the union leaders live high on the hog. For a long time the members fell for the crap the leaders are spewing but they are starting to wise up.

We had a large local company go on strike a couple of years ago. The leaders talked them in to striking, they were on strike for 2 months, and finally went back to work for less money than they were offered before the strike. They lost 2 months of work and a raise, while the leaders never missed a paycheck.

A lot of the rank and file still praised the leaders for their hard work but quite a few finally saw the light. All the union fat cats care about is to keep you sending in the dues. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

quoted from above article:  "Trump, who, to be sure, has also built his campaign on inflammatory rhetoric, racial resentment and xenophobia, has largely avoided specifics about how he would craft better trade deals. And, as Williams has pointed out, Trump has said things that could be unflattering to the average worker, suggesting that wages are too high and saying automakers should move production toward lower-wage states."

Left-wing asshole and complicit reporter just can't help themselves, had to insert the standard liberal talking points.  I have followed Trump pretty closely and didn't hear any of this "inflammatory rhetoric, racial resentment and xenophobia."  If you are an ISIS recruit then maybe you are inflamed.  Otherwise, I call bs on this numb nuts "reporter and on Williams."  If he was a real reporter he would have challenged Williams on this bs rather than printing it.  My humble opinion.

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 2

Ha, thinking about unions in the '70s, several other real-life stories come to mind...

I recall an electrician who worked for Roblin Steel, Tonawanda, NY, during the daytime, 1st shift.  When his shift was over, he'd grab a sandwich and go to his second job working for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.  Union rules at the time required an electrician on every train. The train he was assigned to went from Buffalo, NY to Erie, PA and back to Buffalo every night.  For his 20 years on the job, he slept in the caboose for the entire night, every night, and no one ever woke him up.  Rules at the time required a caboose so he had a nice warm place to sleep.  Roblin Steel mill and Erie Lackawanna are both defunct/gone.  No shocker there.  Not saying the unions killed them, but they sure were part of the financial picture.

And here's another beauty since I'm in a story telling mode...

As a young guy just out of school, I'm working at an electronics distribution company as an inside salesman.  A guy from the Ford Stamping plant (Buffalo, NY) calls me to place an order.  He orders a pallet of Rayovac D-cells and a 1000 PR2 bulbs.  (A pallet is a shit-load of batteries.)  I ask him what in the world is he going to do with all those batteries.  He says the union electricians, every one, all three shifts, upon arrival claim they can't do any work because their flashlight batteries are dead or the bulb is burned out.  Solution to the problem:  New procedure, each electrician draws 2 new batteries and a new bulb when he punches in at the time clock.  You gotta love it!   

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

Gray hair I lost my keyboard again,I'm digitally. Challenged! I could go on til daybreak on this topic first the half rate backhaul,you picked a fronthaul at  full rate(twice master freight rate)based on the fact you deadbeat home.then you pick a backhaul at master

Gray hair,u still awake? When I owned the hotshot rig I was leased to cardinal transport ( not cardinal freight carriers,a rate cutting dry freight outfit) we ran out of warren oh.One of our accts.was a union co that maintained power plants and paper mills. There was a power plant in Colorado springs co.The workers needed 300pair of welding gloves on Monday morning or they wouldn't work.That's about 150lbs.They were paying  1.40

A mile 1989.for a tractor trl  .25cents a mile for a co driver ! It was Friday afternoon,1500mi .A one man run. One of our o/o took his wife in his S 10 pickup and put the 300 pair of gloves in back! Kinda reminds me of the bulbs and batteries!One of my buddies worked  In Homestead Works in the locomotive shop. They routinely would punch each other in and out(when one guy stayed home).A United steel worker got 1 wks of vacation for every wk worked.20yrs wkd. 20wks vac!wouldnt

Don't get me wrong,I support organized labor(as it was meant to be,not a free ride!) I was once a freight car repairman at the long defunct  Pgh and Lake Erie RR in Mckees Rocks Pa.My 1st day I'm watching this really old guy dragging a sheet of 3/4"plywood,I'm thinking what a hard worker! He dragged it under a caboose and went to sleep on it in plain view!! You start out as a laborer  then a helper or freight car repairman.So I'm a laborer and I'm sweeping the floor and this guy comes up to me What the f..k do you think you're doing?,you're working too hard ! You're making  us look bad! I'm not breaking a sweat,easiest job I ever had!

A few years ago there were a few big construction jobs in my area and there were a bunch of union steel workers staying in town. I befriended some of them and ended up at the lake with some of them on the 4th of July. Some of them decided to try some cliff jumping and the ding a lings didn't bother to check the water depth. Long story short one guy jumped, water was not as deep as he would've liked and he hurt his leg. All the union guys there told him to show up to work and get "injured" on he job so he can still collect a paycheck. He did and his broken leg was covered and he still collected his paycheck. 

Edited by HeavyGunner
  • Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On the aircraft job I mentioned above, we got paid the same amount as the union outfit. So they made the same amount of money working 6 weeks as we did working 2 1/2 days, now who seems like the smart one?  Bust your butt, get the job done, and move on to the next one.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2016 at 8:25 PM, grayhair said:

Ha, thinking about unions in the '70s, several other real-life stories come to mind...

I recall an electrician who worked for Roblin Steel, Tonawanda, NY, during the daytime, 1st shift.  When his shift was over, he'd grab a sandwich and go to his second job working for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.  Union rules at the time required an electrician on every train. The train he was assigned to went from Buffalo, NY to Erie, PA and back to Buffalo every night.  For his 20 years on the job, he slept in the caboose for the entire night, every night, and no one ever woke him up.  Rules at the time required a caboose so he had a nice warm place to sleep.  Roblin Steel mill and Erie Lackawanna are both defunct/gone.  No shocker there.  Not saying the unions killed them, but they sure were part of the financial picture.

And here's another beauty since I'm in a story telling mode...

As a young guy just out of school, I'm working at an electronics distribution company as an inside salesman.  A guy from the Ford Stamping plant (Buffalo, NY) calls me to place an order.  He orders a pallet of Rayovac D-cells and a 1000 PR2 bulbs.  (A pallet is a shit-load of batteries.)  I ask him what in the world is he going to do with all those batteries.  He says the union electricians, every one, all three shifts, upon arrival claim they can't do any work because their flashlight batteries are dead or the bulb is burned out.  Solution to the problem:  New procedure, each electrician draws 2 new batteries and a new bulb when he punches in at the time clock.  You gotta love it!