News- Ford Medium Duty Trucks

kscarbel2

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

A new UPS Ford F-650

bulldogboy

IMG_0627.JPG

Wow- and a gas job at that AND the Ford logo still in the grill!

20 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Any first-hand sightings of new 2016 U.S.-built (Avon, Ohio) F-750 straight trucks (rigids) and/or tractors ?

Kevin, 

I do believe I saw a new 750 boom wrecker on Cape Cod last week.  It was in traffic and I could not see if it had Power Stroke badges but this was a Super Cab, long wheel base with a big hydraulic boom.  Could not imagine with a stick that big it could have been anything but a 33,000lb 750 if not a 37,000lb.  Also I recognized the colors as those of an outfit that I have seen with at least one new 450 rollback.

• 4 months later...

On Friday, March 24, I was driving in downtown Boston. Sitting at a traffic light next to the Longfellow Bridge construction site I looked over to see a new style Ford medium duty flatbed at the site. It appeared to me to

be larger than an "F-650" so I took a quick look as the light turned green and I thought that the emblem said "F-850", definitely not "F-750". Is this possible? Keep in mind that I was driving in downtown Boston where

you not only have to steer but also look forward, backward, to your left, to your right, above you, and below you all at the same time while also watching out for joggers, jay walkers, Marathon trainees, double parked

cars, trucks making deliveries, wrong way drivers, snow banks, MBTA buses, and duck boats among many other perils. Therefore, I couldn't spend too much time looking at the Ford.

I know that I have seen a few Ford "E-550" cut-away vans. They appeared to have beefed up front ends and axles but I never saw the "E-550" on Ford's website. Is there really an "F-850" or maybe I just read it 

wrong?

bulldogboy

Edited by bulldogboy

I heard rumors that a tandem-axle F-850 and the option of the International DT466E were being planned for the Ford/Navistar Blue Diamond joint venture trucks before the whole 6.0L Powerstroke debacle.  The Blue Diamond trucks were available with the Cat 3126/C7 anyway, so they had the engine for a tandem.   

I think the whole point of the new F-650/750 is to offer a low priced medium with an all-Ford powertrain, so I don't think we will be seeing an F-850 tandem. 

• Like 1

Yup, the rumors have been going around that long... Story was that as soon as the non-compete agreement with Daimler expired around 2007 or so, Ford would be out with a tandem axle truck again. Reputedly the recession killed that plan, but prior to the move of the F550 through 750 to Ohio Assembly knowledgeable sources predicted, again, a tandem. Certainly wouldn't be hard to do, the Power Stroke is rated for 55k GCW so should handle at least that much in a straight truck. Nothing magic about buying in a tandem axle assembly, suspension, etc. from the usual vendors and beefing up the crossmembers and maybe frame too... But it still hasn't happened.  

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Yup, the rumors have been going around that long... Story was that as soon as the non-compete agreement with Daimler expired around 2007 or so, Ford would be out with a tandem axle truck again. Reputedly the recession killed that plan, but prior to the move of the F550 through 750 to Ohio Assembly knowledgeable sources predicted, again, a tandem. Certainly wouldn't be hard to do, the Power Stroke is rated for 55k GCW so should handle at least that much in a straight truck. Nothing magic about buying in a tandem axle assembly, suspension, etc. from the usual vendors and beefing up the crossmembers and maybe frame too... But it still hasn't happened.  

Current 750 offers big frame RBM numbers as is.  Only thing they need IMO is another power train choice beside the 6.7 Power Stroke/Torque Shift trans- like the 9 liter six they build in Turkey and a companion manual or an Allison.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Current 750 offers big frame RBM numbers as is.  Only thing they need IMO is another power train choice beside the 6.7 Power Stroke/Torque Shift trans- like the 9 liter six they build in Turkey and a companion manual or an Allison.

To my knowledge Bob, the same Mexican group (Metalsa) that produces frames for Volvo (and Mack) also produces the frames for the F-650/750.

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

To my knowledge Bob, the same Mexican group (Metalsa) that produces frames for Volvo (and Mack) also produces the frames for the F-650/750.

Kevin,  Does that go back to Bluediamond days???-in which case would have made even more sense as   those Fords had same frames as the 4400 Internationals built at Escobedo.   Thinking back to the old days-I imagine no such thing as an outsourced frame in an Allentown Mack!  

Safe to say-NOTHING is made from raw material at Macungie right?   What about New River?  Any Volvo components actually made in that plant???

There is no F-850. DTE Energy has a lot of 2015  and some 2016 Heavy F-750 Line trucks in MI. They replaced Sterling L-7500 trucks. I have seen 2016 F-750 with rear tag axle van trucks. I saw that Allied Van Lines F-750 Tractor on the road, looks good.

6 hours ago, gicknordon said:

Things probably changed since I was there in 2014, but the frames were assembled by westport at a nearby facility to Macungie. I know they had said that metalsa supplied the frames previous to westport.

A possibility is Metalsa is supplying the frame components and Westport is performing final assembly. Metalsa will supply completed frame assemblies, or rails and crossmembers separately.

Again, here's there customer list:

Metalsa - customers.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Ford F-650 water truck at a show horse training site in Ocala, FL, 1/2018. Not sure if the tank behind it really is full of Lite beer.

bulldogboy

IMG_0989.JPG

3 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

A Ford F-650 water truck at a show horse training site in Ocala, FL, 1/2018. Not sure if the tank behind it really is full of Lite beer.

bulldogboy

IMG_0989.JPG

Well if its Sunbelt you know there are a lot more out there!

I saw quite a few new Ford F-650 and F-750 trucks on my trip down south. Over the years travelling it seems like I've seen more Ford medium duty trucks in the south than in New England. The one thing that I thought I would see, but didn't, was a new F-750 tractor. Coca-Cola trucks were mostly IHC with a few Sterlings.

bulldogboy