Mack AI engine

OK gear heads tell me why I cannot put a E tech cam and ECM in AI engine and be done with the piss poor performance ?? No I don't give a dam about the EPA, in fact, every time my older truck puffs a little black smoke, I say toot toot I don't give a hoot let's pollute. I think what's good for AL is good enough for me.

E-tech engines run a different compression ratio as well as different unit pumps but fjh is correct that that the AC cam will work and eliminate the EGR in an AI engine. Next step up would be oversize injectors and a larger turbo

Edited by brenner

Then change of rods or pistons takes care of compression and unit pumps come from donor engine, so I take it this can be done ??  My Mack dealer is paranoid about EPA and won't change file in ecm, We do our own engines so changing internals not that big of problem, ECM not easy. 

Ac  Cam helps do away with that  slugish lag and smoke on take off !the exhaust manifold is still horribly restricted pouring more fuel in is not the greatest with out more air just my opinion ! The cam it self will help that is proven.from my prospective .

Lots of things can be tried ! how ever the cam change will help eliminate the turbo lag and smoke on take off basically u already have an egr delete .egr is done internally by the cam on the AI, on the AC it is done after the fact! How ever the exhaust is still quite restricted by the exhaust manifold NATURE Of the Design, So Yes more can be done but how much are you willing to spend! Find an exhaust maifold and turbo to fit the bill from an earlier model truck!?

Try the cam change if your still not saticfied then you could go after a turbo and manifold from say a earlier model late ninteys CH  460 that would let it breath Better.

Edited by fjh

I too havean AI 385 in my rd.   It may be worst than a 300 L10 cummins I used to drive. 

I've looked at most all options but leaning toward bigger injectors and like a S475 turbo.   Hoping that will help.

Bryant Construction Inc.

06 KW T800 Dump

85 GMC General Dump

73 Dodge C800 Single Axle

Middle Tennessee ATHS

worse than the ol L10?.....really?    I doubt it there big guy!   The AI engine's EGR system is actually a second bump on the cam lobe making the exhaust open just a bit during the intake stroke thus exhaust gas recirculating back into the cylinder.  The AC cam does not have this lobe and is set up for external egr so using the AC cam on an AI engine you do away with all EGR.  Throw in a set of Rochester stage 2 injectors, add a Borg Warner S471 or S475 turbo with a Cummins or Detroit v band elbow to get your intake 90 and yur done and probably putting 400-450 hp to the ground.  My ol AI427 after a hot program made over 400 to the ground so the power is there they have the compression and the stock unit pumps move enough fuel for stage two injectors, you just need a bigger turbo for more CFM, not boost so much as air volume in/out to keep temps down.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

On 6/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, rsb502 said:

worse than the ol L10?.....really?    I doubt it there big guy!   The AI engine's EGR system is actually a second bump on the cam lobe making the exhaust open just a bit during the intake stroke thus exhaust gas recirculating back into the cylinder.  The AC cam does not have this lobe and is set up for external egr so using the AC cam on an AI engine you do away with all EGR.  Throw in a set of Rochester stage 2 injectors, add a Borg Warner S471 or S475 turbo with a Cummins or Detroit v band elbow to get your intake 90 and yur done and probably putting 400-450 hp to the ground.  My ol AI427 after a hot program made over 400 to the ground so the power is there they have the compression and the stock unit pumps move enough fuel for stage two injectors, you just need a bigger turbo for more CFM, not boost so much as air volume in/out to keep temps down.

Good Post Bro!

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, bem14 said:

What is the difference between the s471 and the s475 which one spools faster

The S471 has a 71mm inducer the S475 has a 75mm inducer, the difference is the size of the turbo. They should both do just fine on most E7 or ETECH/AI engines, the S471 will probably do better on the more mild engines, the S475 will be better on the hotter engines. The S475 p/n 171702 is the stock replacement for a 500hp Detroit series 60 with a non wastegated turbo so its made for a slightly larger engine and moves more air. 

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"