door latches refuse to open f-model

68-f-model

Long story short.

Both of my doors decided not to want to open yesterday when I went to get out after turning it around in the yard. I had let it idle for a couple hours to run some diesel winter additive through it. Both doors worked flawlessly all morning then suddenly I have to climb out a window of a cab over. :thumbsdown: The drivers door has been apart a month ago and I cleaned and greased up all the mechanisms while I was in there so I am surprised it is stuck.

Anyone know of a trick to get the doors open without having to remove the inner panels?

I'd think some frost might have something to do with it also?

I've had my compressor governor freeze up after I pull it outside in the winter and shut it off. Won't build air when I restart it. Once it heat soaks it works fine again.

Feel lucky you are young enough to get out the window LOL!!

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yeah my uncle was laughing his butt off at me weaseling out the window. I am glad I am 6'5" with long arms and legs or I doubt such a maneuver would have been possible.

I'll see if my heat gun can warm things up and get them moving. I am leery of to much heat as I soaked them down last night in a ton of PB blaster. I don't need any fires.

What is the best lubricant to keep them from freezing up again? I was planning on a chain and cable type lube?

Strangely enough you would think they would stick "open"(not want to latch), not closed? That's kinds scary.

I'm guessing they would not open from the outside either? that leads me to believe it is the latch itself, not the handle part. Really odd they both stuck.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Neither handle would work inside or outside and it was only closed maybe 2 minutes after I opened it to climb in and turned it around.

that's strange,I've had the inside handle quit working more times than I can count,got to be a habit to always reach out window &open door from outside,once Mack switched to the current style latch,that problem seemed to go away.don't ask me why.

I've had the Latch freeze on both the doors of my R a few times from moisture between the door latch and the jamb.. Didn't take a lot either. I ended up using (as weird as it sounds) Penn Reel Lube on the latch assembly. Put it in and on it with an acid brush. no more problems Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE