18 speed transmission

brutus998

Wow didn't realize I needed to explain. I am far from a freight hauler, and quite honest feel a little offended. I'm actually hunting a used 18 speed for our pulling truck. I feel it is a "NEED" to be able to choose a half gear. Next year I plan to run for points, so every advantage I can gain would be great.

My three newest granites have 18 speeds I live in the hills of SE ohio and haul in the oil fields so climbing the hills and going in off road terrains make an 18 speed nice if that passes your test or maybe I should switch to hauling freight, you tell me... SMH

Cool your jets, If you said you wanted it for your pulling truck that would have helped, 99% of the freight haulers want a 18 when they really need a super 10 or 9 speed, putting a fuller behind a Mack is normally more work than Mack to Mack if your truck came with a Mack trans, We have found the Macks hold up better to the high torque than the fuller 18 or 13, the 8LL have stronger bottom ends and 13/18 have stronger top ends, we many times gross over 500K and the fuller 13/18 seem to chew up the bottom side of the trans, we have had better luck with the Macks, but the lack of power has all ways been a problem, but 2 Mack 350s will do pretty good job and they don't eat up tires as fast, if we can get 20,000 out of a set drives we have done good. You need to pick a overdrive ratio and torque rating. Have you thought of putting a set of DT hubs in your pulling truck ?? 3 to 1 gear reduction at the flip of a switch, you would need to speed your truck up to make up for the reduction but the planetary would help with traction and lower your needed torque. a little pricey at 40K per set of 4. but you can spin the tire on wheel if not careful. is that better ???

I have an 18 speed out of a B model that is disassembled. Has an aluminum case. Needs bearings and clean up. Was removed by the previous owner after engine needed work, and I bought it for the cab for another project. Would that be of any interest? Don't have a price in mind, I have no plans for it.

I spoke to the guy I mentioned in an earlier post, who said he won't sell the Mack 18 for anything but a core. Says the Fuller is far superior. I have a 12 speed that I want to convert to an 18. My CH has a Mack 18 in it. I have had the truck for 12 years with no issues. So I can't say that I agree with his opinion.