Removing crossmember from RWS

I am taking a crossmember out of my Super to clean rust/paint behind it. Four bolts are "plow bolts" with no heads on them. I removed all the others, and 'hinged' the crossmember on those plow bolts, so its loose in the frame... but if I want to remove the member from the frame mounts, am I supposed to just knock those plow bolts out? Can they be reused? I know on an actual moldboard 9 out 10 times they won't hold tight again.

Does the above make sense?

Thanks.

Ron

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Sure they aren't Huck Bolts? They are available used them on one of my AC chassis.

Click pics

post-3242-0-50531700-1447373383.jpg

post-3242-0-88785800-1447373398_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

No, these are like a counter-sunk plow bolt, minus the square shoulder. We use them on our chisel plow and our moldboard.... but these are much larger. Really no option either because there isn't room between the frame rail and the bracket... I can't remove the brackets without driving out these bolts, when its daylight I'll snap a photo. I haven't worked on many trucks, so I don't know if these are common or not...

Caterpillar has them. I asked my grandson who works for H.O. Penn Cat dealer. Also here from Grangers Grade 5 to 8.

http://www.grainger.com/category/plow-bolts/bolts/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8k2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Makes me wonder if these were a Hayward California thing....

Since the rail will be counter sunk for the plow bolt heads just might as well get them from Cat, Grangers or Fasten All.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Pictures of plow bolts... They are 'supposed' to come out right?

By the looks of the design, anything with a nut on it should be able to be undone. As a matter of fact, them style cross members would be very hard to get out without removing them. Just so long as you can replace them with something.

My truck has the back-to-back style cross member.

That cross member is to be slid out the back

Are you pretty sure about that? You mean the cross member bracket isn't meant to be removed from the crossmember itself?

I tried pounding one of those plow bolts out (without damaging it)... wouldn't budge... That's why I'm asking.

Every crossmember is like the one photoed. One plow bolt on all four corners.

The rest of the bolts are normal flanged bolts.

Grandson brough these home from Caterpillar they are #7 Bucket Tooth Plow Bolts. The tooth "collapses and locks it in the hole as he said tighter than sh#t.

post-3242-0-22118000-1447473400_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-45849100-1447473419.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

My R's have no them plow bolts in that spot nor any bolts at all since that end bracked welded to the crossmember central beam.

I wish I have them like yours and able to clean all the rust from in between.

I would cut the nut off and swap with new ones if possible.

Or if you gonna save them grind off the side of the nut to break its tubness and get it loose enough to drive off.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012