Had A Little Free Time In The Shop This Evening:

This cab had a lower portion actually missing when I got the truck. Along with numerous stress cracks up at the cowl, and into the windshield trough and continuing into the left door jamb, I would have deemed this cab "unfit for use" as a replacement for the original. It leaked water terrible also.

I used my 72 parts R model for the patch you see in one of the photos. I then overlayed the patch and traced the backside to cut and ground to fit. This went well and after clamping, it was welded solid. I tried to remember to stop but once I get started doing something I usually am not photogenic.

Here is some evidence of the destruction.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
Rob you may make a hand yet.

Guess I'm learning Glenn......

This afternoon I pulled the interior out and the surprises never end!! Remember when I said "I would have judged this cab unfit?" When the floormats/padding were pulled out, and the asphalt sound attenuator scraped up, the amount of stress cracking through the floor is amazing! One crack on the passenger side is nearly a foot in length! This in itself is a relatively easy fix for me but if one had to pay for the work from a working shop, the truck would be junked just from cracks.

The good thing that I discovered is very little rust in the cab. The floor is galvanized, (1987 model year), the doors are not original to the truck and are very good. There is virtually no rust in the roof that is so common on this cab. I did take the air scoop off of the roof and it is ball of rust underneath that may blow through with sandblasting. I may use my donor 72 again for this part. I had only planned on a "quick repaint" for this truck but once I get going I can't stop!

This truck is going to the blaster sometime this next week to get stripped clean. I have the cab bare stripped with the exception of the dashboard which I will leave installed. It is going to be driven without glass, doors, or anything except a driver's seat for 12 miles! I'll wear goggles for sure. It is amazing how much dirt, rust dust, and trash was under the mats in that truck. It must have been used off road such as dump truck work to be that dirty.

Didn't have my camera at the shop today so no photos yet. Will snap some and post later in the week.

Actually found out where the excess "slop" is in my auxillary shifter after pulling the floor access panel. The bushing at the front of the actuator rod is SHOTbut good! When the shifter was pulled out, the slider rod is loose also. I have rebuilt a spare that I have with new bushings, and seal, so will replace it tomorrow.

As if I needed to, there are more of those damn "Scotch Locks" under the dash that I could see from the bottom. Will be sure to replace them correctly too. Don't want problems in the future.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A little more progress this evening:

I've still got to finish digging the sealer out of the rain gutter before the blasting. I will remove the hood, tanks, and air cleaner at the blasters' place. I did find rust in the roof area but it is very minor, in fact, most was buried under the sealer and has started from the inside of the cab. This will take some minor fabrication that will not be noticeable when finished.

Got to have it out of here on Thursday so still a bit to finish up. Hopefully, it won't be a wet ride with no glass.

And to think this started out to be a quick repaint.

Rob

I was going to ask you a while back if you might want to sell that truck Rob.

I really liked it when we moved it for you, but I think I'll let you go and

see what becomes of it!

Looking real good so far.

And - there is no such thing as a "quick, simple paint job". At least not

when you want it right. Though I'm sure you know that by now.

Keep up the good work.

Paul Van Scott

Rob the B model is #1 with me but the R is for sure the next best looking truck to me and i know almost ever one goes for a peterbilt but i dont. Give me a R 700 and let me do what i want with it. They are a good truck and mack should still be building them. I worked for mack in the mid 60s and two guys order a Fmodel in 65 and run them till the R cam out and both of them traded for a r700 i guess or a wester R with sleepers. I thought that was the best looking truck ever made and still do. Drive one and you are confortable sitting in one and you look good to. A RL came out in 67 if i am right and they was using different engines in them. I remember when CCC used some R 700 cabs here to build trucks and was a good heavy truck. One thing about your R it is going be a sound cab when you get through with it.

glenn akers

Rob the B model is #1 with me but the R is for sure the next best looking truck to me and i know almost ever one goes for a peterbilt but i dont. Give me a R 700 and let me do what i want with it. They are a good truck and mack should still be building them. I worked for mack in the mid 60s and two guys order a Fmodel in 65 and run them till the R cam out and both of them traded for a r700 i guess or a wester R with sleepers. I thought that was the best looking truck ever made and still do. Drive one and you are confortable sitting in one and you look good to. A RL came out in 67 if i am right and they was using different engines in them. I remember when CCC used some R 700 cabs here to build trucks and was a good heavy truck. One thing about your R it is going be a sound cab when you get through with it.

Glenn, the B61 model Mack truck will always hold a special place with me because it is what grandpa had for so many years. I agree the R700 takes second place as "The worlds best looking truck". As I've mentioned several times, this chassis is to receive my 12V-71 Detroit engine because it is the least "different", or rare truck that I own. The other two R700 series trucks are much more limited in availability as they are both RL700LST series, (Western built). One has the 1693TA engine and this truck is the sole remaining of only three built by Mack. The other is an RL797L and has an ENDT866 engine. Both of these trucks, (RL) will retain their original drivetrains.

I've always been different in what I find appealing. Grandpa thought I was nuts when in high school I purchased a rusted 67 Olds Toronado as that wasn't the kind of car my generation wanted. He about "shit a gold brick" when he found out I was stuffing that engine and trans into the rear of a VW squareback! Most of the guys I ran with were all Chevy this, Ford that, etc. I was always into trucks, dozers, graders, and such. Never was one to "cruise the strip" as I never was one that fit in; Although I painted many of the cars that participated. I did have my 68 Barracuda, (still have it), and would not destroy it.

Even though I was never really interested in mechanics, I did learn at an early age to keep my mouth shut, and ears open when someone was learning you something. To this day, I question the why's and what for's, and plan to till the end. The guy that lived across the street from us worked in his garage fixing/rebuilding wrecked Datsun cars, (1600, 1800, 2000, 240Z, 260Z) and I spent quite a bit of time over there. To the best of my knowlege, he never held another job. One famous saying he had that was always directed at me was "Get me a beer boy"! That of course was usually accompanied by "Sit down and shut up cause I gonna learn you somethin". This garage is where we built the Volkswagen.

As you stated Glenn, "Give me an R700 and let me do what I want with it". I couldn't agree with that more. I've got to make the truck different or special, (however it is looked at) because it is being built for, and by myself. I'm not one that does this kind of thing to sale or try to profit from, but rather as a hobby; (my wife says I'm sick). I built my auto body business to help put my wife and kids through college, and work it as a second full time job for 15 years. It, and I did that, so the business was closed. It is now time to do something I enjoy which is work on my trucks. Once retired from the federal job, (Electronics T/S) I will probably look to enter this profession with employees.

Now back to my progress for this day in another post:

Rob

I was going to ask you a while back if you might want to sell that truck Rob.

I really liked it when we moved it for you, but I think I'll let you go and

see what becomes of it!

Looking real good so far.

And - there is no such thing as a "quick, simple paint job". At least not

when you want it right. Though I'm sure you know that by now.

Keep up the good work.

Paul Van Scott

Hi Paul, I probably wouldn't have sold the truck anyways as it was purchased for the Detroit project solely when I discovered the 1693 truck would not fit the bill. Thanks for the consideration. It really is in much poorer condition than I was lead to believe prior to my purchase, but it is comming back.

I did have a little "setback" in progress this morning. I was removing the seam sealer within the pinch weld of the roof skin to rain gutter at the rear of the cab, when "significant" rust was discovered. It had been "buried" during the repaint of the cab some time earlier. Some photos will be attached. I have a new OEM roof skin that was purchased and not used and I first thought of installing but, would rather save that for a cab roof that I'm removing a roof air unit, or repairing worse rust damage. This roof skin is salvagable in my opinion.

All in all, a good four hours for the day.

Rob

The roof photos are pretty revealing.

Depending on the time of day and your frame of mind,

it could look pretty bad, or not!

But - no matter how bad it looks,

it's really just a little more grinding and a little more welding.

And - you don't have to have it running tomorrow morning to make a living.

That alone should improve your perception of the issue.

Have Fun!

And - we'll talk someday about an R-700 for me. I'm on board with Glenn,

they make a real nice truck. Comfortable, dependable and timeless looks.

Paul VS

The roof photos are pretty revealing.

Depending on the time of day and your frame of mind,

it could look pretty bad, or not!

But - no matter how bad it looks,

it's really just a little more grinding and a little more welding.

And - you don't have to have it running tomorrow morning to make a living.

That alone should improve your perception of the issue.

Have Fun!

And - we'll talk someday about an R-700 for me. I'm on board with Glenn,

they make a real nice truck. Comfortable, dependable and timeless looks.

Paul VS

sounds like we are all having fun times with rust in cabs, i just got another rust panel the other day, it was the lower sill outer and the under sill part below floor, both are joined together and only 200.00aud from mack.

Grant

sounds like we are all having fun times with rust in cabs, i just got another rust panel the other day, it was the lower sill outer and the under sill part below floor, both are joined together and only 200.00aud from mack.

Grant

Yea, I guess we are. Fortunately, this is minor. I've got to re-roof one of my B61's when this truck is at the blaster also. We are going to weld a new rear frame section in tonight after work, then get it rolling again. The old frame was busted up pretty good from twisting.

It sounds as if you are progressing a little. Glad to hear it. If you were still in the area I would stand back and supervise your efforts! Just kidding. I'd be right in there myself.

Rob

Guess I'm learning Glenn......

... It is going to be driven without glass, doors, or anything except a driver's seat for 12 miles! I'll wear goggles for sure.

Didn't have my camera at the shop today so no photos yet. Will snap some and post later in the week...

Rob

now THAT'S what i'd like to see a picture of! You should wear a helmet too.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yea, I guess we are. Fortunately, this is minor. I've got to re-roof one of my B61's when this truck is at the blaster also. We are going to weld a new rear frame section in tonight after work, then get it rolling again. The old frame was busted up pretty good from twisting.

It sounds as if you are progressing a little. Glad to hear it. If you were still in the area I would stand back and supervise your efforts! Just kidding. I'd be right in there myself.

Rob

Hi, yep, its getting there slowly, have been busy on the Tumbler, so have not done much to it but order rust sections when i have the money. plenty more rust sections to buy yet.

Grant

now THAT'S what i'd like to see a picture of! You should wear a helmet too.

I just may wear a "full face" helmet. There has been so much grinding, welding, and more grinding done to this truck that there will be a lot of grit shaking loose and flying about on the trip.

Rob

Guys,

Too bad that we are miles and miles apart because, I would like to be right in the middle of it with ya. I was learning from my father, a diesel and auto mechanic started when I was nine years old. My deceased brother was a commercial sign painter and artist, he worked for Kenworth of Nashville, Neely Coble Mack and other paint and body shops. He taught me body and fender work. I would like to add that he pin striped and lettered for a living semi trucks, dirt track cars, drag cars etc, etc. He also followed the racing circuits. He had lettered Charlie Daniels trucks and buses and many others that I cannot list all of them.

Rob you are doing a fantastic job keep up the good work and I hope I can meet some of you guys some day. And thank you again for helping me here on this web site.

mike sanders :mack1:

Hi, glad everyone can help. i am located in Perth Western Australia at the moment, one day maybe i may succeed in living there if my girlfriend gets it together, then i will bring my old mack over and set up a triple road train over there, the police will have a big stress as when we have them set up there 173feet long but would make a great display at a truck show :))

check out my album and you will see how much rust i have to fix, but it getting there....I think?

Grant

I just may wear a "full face" helmet. There has been so much grinding, welding, and more grinding done to this truck that there will be a lot of grit shaking loose and flying about on the trip.

Rob

oh...I was thinking more along the lines of one like Snoopy wore while pursuing the Red Baron

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

A little more progress this evening:

I've still got to finish digging the sealer out of the rain gutter before the blasting. I will remove the hood, tanks, and air cleaner at the blasters' place. I did find rust in the roof area but it is very minor, in fact, most was buried under the sealer and has started from the inside of the cab. This will take some minor fabrication that will not be noticeable when finished.

Got to have it out of here on Thursday so still a bit to finish up. Hopefully, it won't be a wet ride with no glass.

And to think this started out to be a quick repaint.

Rob

Rob:

That's a great looking shop!! Any advice that you could offer would be much appreciated. Good luck with that R model.

Best regards,

John

oh...I was thinking more along the lines of one like Snoopy wore while pursuing the Red Baron

Then I would require a twin .30 Caliber machine gun mount, (rotary magazine fed) to deal with traffic! I guess I could find inner peace and tranquility from my pinned up aggressions that way.

Ahhhh, harmony is much easier to attain than ever imagined.

Sure would help me deal with this term "road rage" I keep hearing about.

Rob

Rob:

That's a great looking shop!! Any advice that you could offer would be much appreciated. Good luck with that R model.

Best regards,

John

Hi John, thanks for the kind words.

I know an awful lot about nothing and that's about it. I'll share near anything I know, or give direction for answers to questions willingly if it helps someone work with their truck.

It's always been like that.

Rob

Then I would require a twin .30 Caliber machine gun mount, (rotary magazine fed) to deal with traffic!

Rob

Deer hunting season is coming up soon.

Maybe you could start a new subclassification of that:

Machine gun deer season. :D

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"