Picked up some aluminum wheels today

I found a guy last week with some aluminum budds style wheels he was willing to sell them to me at a great price so today I went out and picked them up I plan to use them as the outside wheels on the rear. As seen in the pics they will need a good going over I took an hour or so to get all the oil, paint over spray and dirt off them then a light acid to dissolve what I missed and they don't look to bad. They were the inside set so where they bolted to the hub needs to be cleaned up I didn't even attempt to clean the centers yet does anyone have any suggestions what I can get the rust and corrosion off with without making a mess out of it. I have not decided whether Im going to polish them out myself or for 50 dollars a wheel have it done by a place here in town Im probably going to go with the style moon that covers the whole hub and center of the wheel anyways so the corroded centers wont matter.

post-18980-0-40273300-1435445561_thumb.j

post-18980-0-16331200-1435445587_thumb.j

• Like 2

Steel wool or sand paper. Get a few courses, start rough and work your way fine. Use soapy water or kerosene as a wetting agent.

They look pretty good, I'd say you got a good deal. Can't wait to see the finished results.

Im going to do the first one this week myself I have decided to use beauty rings on the centers so the corrosion no matter how bad in the center wont matter anyways. I am going to sell the tires that were on my parts truck they are virgin rubber and would make great trailer tires that will more than pay for the wheels I have a set of steer tires 80% rubber Im going to sell from the same truck if I can find someone who still runs 24 inch rubber.

• 2 weeks later...

When I polished mines I also didn't do the centers since I could cover them with chrome parts.

This is what I've got after putting everything on.

The covers were from Big Rig Chrome Shop.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Wheels are done I did one every couple days the pitting in the centers is pretty bad they will be covered up with beauty rings so that's all taken care of. They turned out to be machined wheels the crap on them was to thick to tell but they are not to bad for junk yard wheels.

post-18980-0-94676500-1436313410_thumb.j

post-18980-0-38309600-1436313435_thumb.j

• Like 1