Pictures of the Week

other dog

Was on Rt. 30 Tuesday morning headed east. I tried Rt. 30 because of construction on Rt. 22. Rt. 30 is WORSE than 22 as far as signal lights, hills, and those dang coal buckets. So back to 22. When on 30 did you stop at and pay homage to the Ship Hotel?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Found this on YouTube...

Here's another from opening to fire... Very sad we don't preserve our history.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Zt0UNxakZQ"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul,

I agree. A lot of history, most of it gone along Routes 30 and 22 in PA. Both major trucking routes and alternatives to PA Turnpike. PA recently voted to turn the abandoned turnpike roadway east of Breezewood and two (2) tunnels (Rays Hill and Sideling Hill) into a bike path. Several vids on YouTube showing the roadway and tunnels.

Kudos to Tom for taking the lesser traveled routes and posting pics for us to see.

A lot of history gone every where! The last overpass of the Vanderbilt Parkway was demolished last fall to big fan fair and a good speech of how great progress is.

From The Save L.I.'s History magazine

The first segment of the reinforced-concrete road, which eventually stretched 44 miles from Fresh Meadows in Queens to Lake Ronkonkoma, opened Oct. 10, 1908, two weeks after Henry Ford began production of his Model T. It allowed its organizer, 29-year-old New York Central Railroad heir William K. Vanderbilt Jr., and fellow wealthy car owners a chance to indulge their passion for speeds up to 90 m.p.h.

Long Island Motor Parkway

The Long Island Motor Parkway Inc. was incorporated Dec. 3, 1906, with Vanderbilt as president and Henry Ford, August Belmont and John Jacob Astor in supporting roles. "It has been the dream of every motorist to own a perfect car and to have a road without speed limit," Vanderbilt said

OPENED Oct. 10, 1908

LENGTH 44 miles from Fresh Meadows, Queens, to Lake Ronkonkoma, plus 2.1-mile spur in Commack.

COST Estimated $6 million

TOLL $2 per car in 1908; 40 cents in 1933.

PEAK VOLUME 175,000 motorists in 1929.

DESIGN Nation's first reinforced concrete, high speed limited-access automobile toll road that incorporated firsts. Including 65 bridges that eliminated intersections; an E-ZPass-type annual placard for paying tolls; and banked curves, guardrails, nonskid pavement, bright lighting, landscaping and specially trained highway police.

LAST DAY OF OPERATION Easter Sunday 1938.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I saw a girl in a car in Roanoke.

attachicon.gifDSCN5924.JPG

It was hot Tuesday, but not this hot! This thermometer is about 10 degrees off.

attachicon.gifDSCN5931.JPG

More logs in W.V.

attachicon.gifDSCN5935.JPG

Saw this oversize load coming around the bend on rt.8 in Franklin,Pa.

attachicon.gifDSCN5936.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5937.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5938.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5939.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5940.JPG

The cloud factory was gittin'-r-done.

attachicon.gifDSCN5942.JPG

I tried to get a picture of the remains of the South Fork Dam and the old Lake Conemaugh lake bed, but the pictures pretty much suck. I'd really like to stop and see this and the Johnstown Flood National Museum.

attachicon.gifDSCN5949.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5945.JPG

Rt.30 in Pa.

attachicon.gifDSCN5951.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5954.JPG

Another girl, in another car.

attachicon.gifDSCN5957.JPG

Start with a girl in a car, add some big trucks and some history, and finish with a girl in a car. Definitely one of the POTW top 10.

• Like 1

Jim

A lot of history gone every where! The last overpass of the Vanderbilt Parkway was demolished last fall to big fan fair and a good speech of how great progress is.

From The Save L.I.'s History magazine

The first segment of the reinforced-concrete road, which eventually stretched 44 miles from Fresh Meadows in Queens to Lake Ronkonkoma, opened Oct. 10, 1908, two weeks after Henry Ford began production of his Model T. It allowed its organizer, 29-year-old New York Central Railroad heir William K. Vanderbilt Jr., and fellow wealthy car owners a chance to indulge their passion for speeds up to 90 m.p.h.

Long Island Motor Parkway

The Long Island Motor Parkway Inc. was incorporated Dec. 3, 1906, with Vanderbilt as president and Henry Ford, August Belmont and John Jacob Astor in supporting roles. "It has been the dream of every motorist to own a perfect car and to have a road without speed limit," Vanderbilt said

OPENED Oct. 10, 1908

LENGTH 44 miles from Fresh Meadows, Queens, to Lake Ronkonkoma, plus 2.1-mile spur in Commack.

COST Estimated $6 million

TOLL $2 per car in 1908; 40 cents in 1933.

PEAK VOLUME 175,000 motorists in 1929.

DESIGN Nation's first reinforced concrete, high speed limited-access automobile toll road that incorporated firsts. Including 65 bridges that eliminated intersections; an E-ZPass-type annual placard for paying tolls; and banked curves, guardrails, nonskid pavement, bright lighting, landscaping and specially trained highway police.

LAST DAY OF OPERATION Easter Sunday 1938.

Where was that? I thought there were still some being used as walkways in parks in Queens.

Jim

Mush of the original route were been turned in regular roads and into Rail Road right of ways. The R.R.right of ways have been turned into jogging ,walking and bike ways. A few over grown sections in a housing development of Bagatell Road, Melville and in Dix Hills off Deer Park ave. The rest on the island is long gone.

Five bridges in Queens, two bridges left in Nassau County one in Manhasset Hills and one in Old Bethpage. The last and only bridge Suffolk County in original condition was in 110 Sand on Spagnoli Rd Melville.

post-3242-0-32512200-1431830289_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-24188000-1431830305_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-39597900-1431830311_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE

post-3242-0-97558600-1431830374_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-06114100-1431830383_thumb.jp

1910 photo of theSAME TYPE of bridge.

post-3242-0-09386400-1431831731_thumb.jp

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

attachicon.gif10440027-1.jpg

attachicon.gif10460003.jpg

1910 photo of theSAME TYPE of bridge.

attachicon.gif145RRR1_620_360.jpg

I checked out Spagnoli Rd on Earth and it wasn't clear enough to see the bridge but I could see what appears to have been a right-of way east of 110.

I honestly never knew there was so more to it than a road that crisscrossed the L.I.E. a few times in Suffolk, until I came across this article on ForgottenNY a few years ago.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2000/07/long-island-motor-parkway/

Jim

Wow never new. love history

Studying "Infrastructure History" with an emphasis on bridges and tunnels is a favorite pastime of mine. Some folks are interested in fossils, but I get excited when cobblestones are found below several layers of asphalt.

• Like 1

Jim

I checked out Spagnoli Rd on Earth and it wasn't clear enough to see the bridge but I could see what appears to have been a right-of way east of 110.

I honestly never knew there was so more to it than a road that crisscrossed the L.I.E. a few times in Suffolk, until I came across this article on ForgottenNY a few years ago.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2000/07/long-island-motor-parkway/

The bridge was under the stacker for the sand feed to last year

P.T.CHESHIRE

A lot of interesting to read in this post.

Impressed of learning that road could allow to drive up to 90 mph.

And thanks for posting to our honored weekly reporter.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012