Tire Search

SMFire History

We are currently in the market for a set of tires for our 1952 125LS and would appreciate some assistance. The rig currently has 6 very old 9.00 20 tires on the original (split?) rims. I have done hours of research trying to find suitable replacements and have a few options but nothing that's exactly what we're looking for. We would like the following:

1. Size 9.00 20 but would consider 10.00 20 as more options are out there. I believe the increase in width should fit our rims?

2. Radials (this rig sits for periods of time and the tires now have developed a few flat spots).

3. Old school ribbing on the outer walls if possible. (This is the hardest part to find it seems).

From what I can find the big name tire companies have all but abandoned the 9.00 20 market in the states. I can find suitable tires by big manufacturers in nearly every country outside of North America. Hankook makes a 9.00 R20 but it looks a lot like a trailer tire.

Here's the ribbing I'm talking about as posted by Mike today...

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=45

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also here's a link to our project if anyone is interested. For now it's just a placeholder but will eventually have real build info/updates. You can see the type of ribbing on the sidewalls on the black and white delivery photo on the linked page:

www.bringbackthemack.com

Thanks,

Dom

Edited by SMFire History

I do not believe you will find radials with the outside ribbing you are looking for. If you want to update with radials I would go with whatever tire you can find that meets the weight and size requirements of the truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I went through this with my International. There are no radials with the side wall pattern that fits the trucks era. I was told by Coker and Miller both, that the early pattern side walls will not flex the amount a radial tire needs to flex and the radial thead to side wall pattern is designed for pavement contact on turns. Look at the Cokers and Millers 60's era Muscle car radials have the vintage red, gold or blue stripe or white lettering for the proper look but have the radial tire side walls.

Millers 9.00 x 20 Power King Highway Ribs are the only ones I've seen with close to that style side wall pattern. If the trucks sits for months at a time and you end up going with bias ply, why not put it up on stands to unload the tires? P.I.A. but that's an option

I've has good luck with Miller Tire with the rubber for my Binder and the tires for one of my AC's 40x8 BFGoodrich repros. Paul

http://www.millertire.com/products/truck-tires/antique-truck-tires/9-00-20/9-00-20-power-king-hwy-rib/

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like we'll have to decide on bias OEM look with the trouble that goes with them or a newer style radial with a much smaller ribbing on the edge.

I've been put in touch with a large international tire dealer so I'll see if I get anything different from them.

Anyone have experience with the Power Kings?

Thanks.

Dom

I have them on my International Tater hauler and no problems at about 500 miles a year. I do put RV tire covers on them because it sits outside. Stops U.V. damage to them. Paul

ih1-3.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was hoping this thread would help me to find suitable replacement 'old school' tires for a '47 ALF that I'm buying.

I've been all over the Web and searched locally. It seems there are no USA tires being made for vintage rigs and anything that is available is not going to have the look of older tires. Oh well.

Incidentally, radials are no guarantee against flat spots. Depending on the compound, they can flat as badly, or worse, than bias ply sneakers.

I bought a set of Powerkings for my truck.....haven't had any problems yet....like Carl's they don't get a lot of miles put on in a year. They do look very close to the firestones my truck originally came with. Cost me around 1500.00 mounted with tubes and flaps.post-12279-0-28135200-1432086955_thumb.jpost-12279-0-76653900-1432086994_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the assistance and input. I am seriously considering a 10R20 radial that should hold up well for our use. I know Brunacini has the 10.00's on his 52, but anyone have experience or input on why we shouldn't go with these?

Although we would prefer the older ribbed style, the radial construction is going to win out on these and the 10.00's are much easier to locate.

Edited by SMFire History