Scout and CJ

yarnall

It is actually a GMC. And no, I did not buy it.

post-7810-0-75211400-1428890454_thumb.jp

It will probably get cut up along with 3 V model and 2 R model Internationals.

post-7810-0-85353100-1428890622_thumb.jp

If I had somewhere to go with them I would buy a couple of them. Of you know of anyone who needs parts let me know. They still have the U model. It is too rough for the asking price. The rest are all scrap price. That is too high for them so they will go to scrap. Except for this one. It is coming to my house too.

post-7810-0-51374500-1428890919_thumb.jp

I never learn. Mike.

Nice save! The good news is, If (or when) you get the urge to fix the Scout or CJ you can buy the entire truck in parts from various after market suppliers.

Check the CJ for marks to see if it is a civilian version or an original military rig. There is a huge market for both of these trucks, even in their present condition.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

My first truck was a late 60's scout which was kin of neat. I wish I still had it. I wanted a jeep but the scout was free so a Scout it was. My 15 year old daughter has her heart set on a Jeep too which is interesting because she didn't know my pre-disposition to them...must be genetic. So I'm looking for a cheap jeep that has floors and a frame...I've managed to find more hen's teeth than solid jeeps for less than $5000. I hope to find one with a blown up engine or something I can fix easy that makes the price friendly to me. I've got about a year so I'm going to be picky for now.

All of the trucks at this place look better in pictures than in person. I kept looking at the pictures of the one V model thinking I should buy it. We went back up to look at it and it wasn't nearly as nice after the snow had melted. I haven't seen the R model without the snow. You can see the big galvanized patches on the fenders.

I have looked at prices for CJ bodies. Way more than I want to pay. I will buy floors and rockers for the Scout if we can get it running(and tires).

Mike- I know where you can get a real cheap 1951 CJ3A. It needs a motor and a transmission and a body and floors.

Mike

I had fun with a Scout and Jeep while visiting TX years ago. The Jeep had better suspension articulation while off road but the Scout felt like your were driving a little tank. It was just rock solid.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I hope to find one with a blown up engine or something I can fix easy that makes the price friendly to me. I've got about a year so I'm going to be picky for now.

One of my first vehicles was a 1961 CJ5 equipped with a non-power angle Fisher plow. Made a lot of money and had a lot of fun with that little beast. My DW still talks about how she refused to ride any further with me while we were dating after I put it up on 2 wheels while four wheeling through a Cape Cod pine forest.

After pumping gas at a local Jeep dealer while in high school, I started buying and fixing up old jeeps which also proved to be pretty lucrative. I made my own tow bar and pulled them home with the old man's car. Looking back I'm sure he didn't appreciate me taking over his garage to do it though.

Try checking out the CL's from down south. Much less rust to deal with down here. And just like every "project" it is always cheaper to buy the best vehicle you can afford rather than fixing it yourself. If you find something in my neck of the woods I can check it out for you.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I had fun with a Scout and Jeep while visiting TX years ago. The Jeep had better suspension articulation while off road but the Scout felt like your were driving a little tank. It was just rock solid.

ya my scout had real rough suspension also like bobtailing with spring ride...bob