So I'm watching the power block this morning...

RowdyRebel

...and I heard the guy on the truck tech show say something so ridiculously stupid that I just couldn't believe there is even a market for. They are converting a 2WD Jeep into 4WD, jacking it up, putting bigger tires on it, etc... Anyway, while talking about the need for beefed up brakes, he said he was using "Zinc plated brake rotors" to protect them from rust. My question is, what good is a protective PLATING going to do a component that relies upon FRICTION to do its job? Wouldn't that zinc plating wear off rather quickly? Seems like a waste of money to me...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

well i don't think its necessary but yes it will wear off the friction surface very quickly and keep the non friction surfaces from rusting. you wont ever have rust on the friction surface anyway unless you let it sit forever

Eh, it's not really "reality" as it is getting ideas for some of the projects I've got on my "to do" list. Sometimes what they do makes absolutely no sense...like taking an ex-military 6x6, converting it to a 4x4...and adding air ride. But, instead of plumbing into the air system, they mount up a 12 volt compressor to provide air to the bags. Ridiculous.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

https://youtu.be/0JXDcJQqZrA

almost the project cars on roadkill are pretty low buck. the nicer project cars are the hosts personal cars. its a youtube only show for hot rod magazines youtube channel. not a big budget show but much more entertaining than the big budget shows.

oh ok,,,thanks for the heads up,,,,,did really like the 55..had 4 of them years ago,,,when they were cheap to buy,,and easy to find.bob

This is what I was thinking he was watching on the power block.

attachicon.gifshowposter.jpg

Seen the blonde on the left at Barrett-Jackson. Hey now.

The gal in the middle is formerly from Powerblock TV as she was on with Ian on Extreme 4x4. She's smart and skilled and not bad to look at either. She had a back problem and then left the show for some reason...She advertises a tech school now and does that show...Jessi...I think I love her at least a little...

• Like 1

My guess is they want Zinc coating so that the basic body(hub) of the rotor does not rust and look "bad" through the wheels. The friction surface would never rust anyway from use. But the Hub area would unless they powder coat it or at least paint it. I think they just didn't describe it well enough.

It is about the sponsors and the parts that are given to them.

Lucky for me I don't have any access to these shows anymore. What I have watched lately is Roadkill on Youtube. Frieberger and Finnigan run around on a whim and it is entertaining. Basically just hard core hot rodders having fun at any expense. Finnigan classic line: "best day at work, ever".

I wonder how the Hot Rod '55 would do against the original Mike Daly's 392 AA/G from the mid 70's. It's been on as a street/ track car now for about 6 or so years. Now called Daly's Machine.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE