New man to dump trucking

redhoss

Hello forum members.

I am new to dump trucking and glad to have found a forum for Mack trucks.

I have been running my 6 medium duty mostly buses for the last 10 years.

I am now looking at a 2005 Mack Granite coal spec with the vocational aluminum bed, 8LL, 427hp 1950tq,546 gears. 18th fronts, 52k or Mack spec 58k rears.

I am wanting to start something new and where I am at we have work to be had.

I will be running local gravel and asphalt runs.

Welcome! Sounds like a pretty good unit too. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys. Cool of you all to welcome me.

I am sure I will be asking some questions. I am on the road at the nmra/nmra race in Atlanta so limited on some pics.

I do have a couple questions about the spreader box ( I was told to ride the brake just a little and let the box push you). also how to judge the length of Cain on the tail gate of asphalt and gravel.

JP

Should I be worried about the 5.46 gears? Seems high compared to what I have read on this site.

I am in the middle of the purchase this week. My options for the money around here with the season starting I am dang lucky to found one at this price with only 304k on the speedometer.

JP

Good luck, I've been dump trucking a long time and Mack is definitely the way to go! I usually set my chains to where the gate will open about 4 to 5 inches when spreading SB2. I've never used my chains hauling asphalt. Sounds like you have the spreader box figured out already.

Jake

With 5.46 gears and 8LL trans your low gear reduction is 79.+. More than enough gradability and startability for your work.5.46 is not really a go fast ratio most likely around 60MPH without engine screaming.That torque rating of 1950 seems high for a Mack 427 but someone else will know for sure.I would think torque rating on a Mack 427 would be in the 1600 ft.lb. range. When in paver with asphalt light pressure on brakes just enough that you do not roll out of paver a big no no.If you are in a shoulder machine we chain our gate to open 5-6 inches. If you have high crowned roads like in Northeast,Penna. try to load near the ass of box if allowed.Pucker factor if nose is loaded heavy on high crowned roads. Good luck.Joe D..

Thank you Joe.

I got the tq and hp rating from the valve cover on top of the motor.It was dirty but I am sure of the 1900 but it could have been 1930 instead of 1950.

I do appreciate the good advise on the loading.

For around town 60mph will be good for me.

I am off to the drag strip for the national muscle car races. I will try and check back through out the day.

Thank you again everyone for helping a new man to the big truck hauling world. I am excited to get my new venture rolling.

Check your states weight laws and see what you can carry,you'll need to carry the same as everybody else on a paving job,make sure your truck will dump into a paver,sometimes depending on the body the tail gate will bottom out in the paver box before you can get it high enough for the asphalt to slide out.Good luck

• Like 1

Good looking out Macks. The bed I have has no lip on it. But I will for sure raise it and measure my height.

Stop by the Haltech booth big dog if you make it to the race today. If you have time to talk about trucks.

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Also if you have a tag along trailer hookup on the dump truck make sure it is taken off before dumping into the asphalt spreader . It will damage the spreader . If you have never dumped into a spreader its not a bad idea to let the laborer controlling the crew know that you are new to it so he can pay more attention when you are in the box. Some of the asphalt crews can be very loud and aggressive so Concentrate on the one guy controlling the dumping of the truck usually on the drivers side rear where the truck and paver connect

• Like 1

Local 282 Union Service

That is good advise mackman. No trailer hook up on the truck.

Hey Joe you where right the torqe is 1490 something.

I was looking at the tag on the engine cover and confused the hp/rpm 1960 something with the torqe rating. I had to pull the mack pdf on the engine to find the hp and torqe curves.

Thanks again all for the interest and advise.

JP

What mack man just said.I to haul asphalt and found its hard to know who is telling who what to do sometimes cause most of the crew is having fun out there in the hot sun and most of them are talking out loud.Another thing to remember is never raise you bed or trailer with out looking up above you and also slow down and lower your bed before you take off down the road.Then lock your tailgate.I lock mine 20 times before I get back to the plant.

• Like 1

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I have been working in the sand box for 2 days. They tell me the truck is big. Can only get about 24 to 24.5 tons because old blue is about 29,000 pounds empty.

With the big diffs. But to tell you guys the truth I spun the tires fetting out of a soft patch of number 2,s while loaded and she did not miss a beat. So I am happy with the big girl.

Thanks guys. I have been working in the sand box for 2 days. They tell me the truck is big. Can only get about 24 to 24.5 tons because old blue is about 29,000 pounds empty.

With the big diffs. But to tell you guys the truth I spun the tires fetting out of a soft patch of number 2,s while loaded and she did not miss a beat. So I am happy with the big girl.